• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Don't hate it, but don't like Uelese on the bench with his injury history. Either start or not in the 23 in my book.

Also, nervous for Tom Hooper debuting against a side with PSTD, in a back row that still contains Michael Hooper. If the game goes to shit because we get bossed over the ball at the breakdown, then it could be Tom's first and last chance.
I think front rowers can go back on for an injury right? I get your point though.

I think Tom will get a few opportunities. However if he nails this then I suspect he will be in pole position for 6

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Wouldn't that be the point of his selection (at least for this cycle)? Either he's up to it today and worth persisting with in the lead up to the World Cup, or EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) reverts back to the known quantity of Holloway (maybe Leota or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but realistically it's Jed).
Eddie refers to Leota a fair bit. I rekon he will get a few chances to show where he is at. I guess Holloway is a known quality. Personally I don't think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is dynamic enough for Intl backrow

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Wouldn't that be the point of his selection (at least for this cycle)? Either he's up to it today and worth persisting with in the lead up to the World Cup, or EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) reverts back to the known quantity of Holloway (maybe Leota or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but realistically it's Jed).
Yeah there's no time to ease your way in. Either you assert yourself against the Springboks and perform or you don't. If the answer is "you don't" then maybe your time to play international rugby is in 2024. Simple as that.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Can't understand people saying Lolesio has been hard done by. He's been given opportunities, but hasn't shined. Maybe he'll improve in the future and get there, maybe he won't. It's on him to figure that out.

He isn't an athletic marvel, so most of his improvements should be between the ears and he has loads of time to do that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Frost is a primary jumper. And Tom Hooper's job all season with the brumbies (whilst injured) was to do the research on the opposition lineout so he will hopefully also be handy but Skelton definitely makes things a little challenging when you have M.Hooper at 7

Tom to call? Hey I'm behind the bloke, and will be watching with enthusiasm.

Digestif Palu

Stan Wickham (3)
I know there aren't many games before the RWC but I hate that approach, it took Jed until the end of last year to find his feet. Makes no sense to me giving guys one chance and throwing them to the scrapheap after one bad game. Or at least having it tar peoples opinions of them, especially coaches. If Hooper doesn't stack up to Vermeulen and PSTD on his debut then absolutely no one should be shocked.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I know there aren't many games before the RWC but I hate that approach, it took Jed until the end of last year to find his feet. Makes no sense to me giving guys one chance and throwing them to the scrapheap after one bad game. Or at least having it tar peoples opinions of them, especially coaches. If Hooper doesn't stack up to Vermeulen and PSTD on his debut then absolutely no one should be shocked.
Not necessarily the scrap heap, just parked till after the RWC.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

This is it. No one doubts Hooper's talent, and in a conventional year what you'd expect is for him to have accumulated about 4-6 caps, across June (although I guess it's July now) Internationals, the RC and the EOYTs, depending on fitness of players in his position and availability of A tours, and ready to return to the Brumbies with knowledge of the required standards and his personal requirements to nail himself in the team.

But it's not a regular year, and particularly with a brand new coach and a lot of players to either be brought back from injury or integrated into the squad for the first time, the space to ease players in isn't there. If he's capable of providing more to that 33 in 9 weeks time than the likes of Leota, Kemeny or Holloway (presuming for mine that the backrow group will be composed of Valetini, M Hooper, Samu, Gleeson and two of that group) listed) we will see it.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the point is that we don't have a lot of time between now and the cup to settle a team. To my mind, he should have put T. Hooper on the bench in place of Samu and started Holloway, then given him 20mins to see if he can take on, what is a very strong backrow in the Boks. Hope he goes well and starts to establish himself.

The lineout is a major issue and only adds to Hooper's first game responsibilities

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the point is that we don't have a lot of time between now and the cup to settle a team.

I think a couple of these selections are about whether they make the RWC squad rather than whether they are in our first choice 23.

I expect we'll be seeing very close to what Eddie Jones thinks is the best 23 in the two Bledisloe Cup tests.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I understand your logic - but if Uelese gets injured they can bring Porecki back to maintain a fit front row.
If it's a straight forward replacement with 10 to go, then ok. But not confident if Porecki is injured sometime in the first half. Jordan has not been a 40 minute player lately for the Rebels.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
If it's a straight forward replacement with 10 to go, then ok. But not confident if Porecki is injured sometime in the first half. Jordan has not been a 40 minute player lately for the Rebels.
The fact we are so worried about this guy just proves my point that he shouldn't be there

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Are we expecting some changes to the XV for the Argentina game considering the tight turnaround and the players in the squad who need gametime before the world cup? Eg McReight, Bell, Tupou, Faesslar, Nawaqanitawse, Kellaway and Petaia (if fit), Holloway etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are we expecting some changes to the XV for the Argentina game

There was definitely a line from Eddie about some players coming straight into the starting XV. I think there will be a bunch of unforced changes and not all relating to injured players returning.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm worried about a couple of things in the pack. One is the lineout and the other is the breakdown. Looking at the fwds we seem short in turnover ability and only one jumper with proven Lineouts skill.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the point is that we don't have a lot of time between now and the cup to settle a team. To my mind, he should have put T. Hooper on the bench in place of Samu and started Holloway, then given him 20mins to see if he can take on, what is a very strong backrow in the Boks. Hope he goes well and starts to establish himself.

The lineout is a major issue and only adds to Hooper's first game responsibilities
I think EJ (Eddie Jones) knows 75% of his starting team already and guys are being given a chance to make the squad and then push for inclusion into a match day line up. I think Tom might be in the category of lets see what you got. Kemeny might get a shot in the next test.

I'm worried about a couple of things in the pack. One is the lineout and the other is the breakdown. Looking at the fwds we seem short in turnover ability and only one jumper with proven Lineouts skill.
You're right we don't have a massive threat come breakdown to pilfer but at times bigger packs use the counter ruck instead when opportunity arises. I'm not as concerned as others about the lineout options. You have a main target who probably gets hit 50% of the time then T Hooper/Skelton to split the others with variety of options in number etc. Could even gain jumpers with the bench. Arnold is obvious but Samu has been used by the Brumbies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
One of the advantages of T Hooper over Holloway is that he is better over the ball.

Whether he can do the job at the lineout remains to be seen but he looks quality to me and keen to see what he can do with his chance.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) knows 75% of his starting team already and guys are being given a chance to make the squad and then push for inclusion into a match day line up. I think Tom might be in the category of lets see what you got. Kemeny might get a shot in the next test.

You're right we don't have a massive threat come breakdown to pilfer but at times bigger packs use the counter ruck instead when opportunity arises. I'm not as concerned as others about the lineout options. You have a main target who probably gets hit 50% of the time then T Hooper/Skelton to split the others with variety of options in number etc. Could even gain jumpers with the bench. Arnold is obvious but Samu has been used by the Brumbies.
Yeez! Ghost I hope you're right but against South Africa, I think this pack is a big call. for the starting 15, I'm not so concern for 'finishers' as that looks a bit better balanced. My hope is that it is Eddie's 1st test and the guys know he can be brutal (or realistic), so they might go flat out for the time they are out there. I'd love us to put 30 points up them for sending half their team to NZ.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
One of the advantages of T Hooper over Holloway is that he is better over the ball.

Whether he can do the job at the lineout remains to be seen but he looks quality to me and keen to see what he can do with his chance.
Agree he has a big potential but I've not seen much of him pilfering, but I have not watched all the brumbies games.