• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno. He’s not a big guy but physically seems fine for a 10. He’s no longer a rookie.

I feel like a short stint in Europe in a different environment might be the perfect thing for him at this time in his development.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I dont know where to ask this so here I go.

Who were the Australian Rugby Legends?

If I have to guess I'd say it was the first name of the Classic Wallabies. Any idea?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They used to play in the 7s circuit a bit in the 90s. I don't think they were an official 'team' like the Classic Wallabies, I remember playing against Dave Carter and Richard Tombs amongst others once.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Team named (I assume someone will post it here soon enough).

I wonder if Dave Rennie ever had the quality of players to select from that Jones has been able to name in his first team. (Although still a couple of notable players out).

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Screenshot_20230706-171427.png

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't hate it, but don't like Uelese on the bench with his injury history. Either start or not in the 23 in my book.

Also, nervous for Tom Hooper debuting against a side with PSTD, in a back row that still contains Michael Hooper. If the game goes to shit because we get bossed over the ball at the breakdown, then it could be Tom's first and last chance.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Also, nervous for Tom Hooper debuting against a side with PSTD, in a back row that still contains Michael Hooper. If the game goes to shit because we get bossed over the ball at the breakdown, then it could be Tom's first and last chance.

Wouldn't that be the point of his selection (at least for this cycle)? Either he's up to it today and worth persisting with in the lead up to the World Cup, or EJ (Eddie Jones) reverts back to the known quantity of Holloway (maybe Leota or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but realistically it's Jed).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wouldn't that be the point of his selection (at least for this cycle)? Either he's up to it today and worth persisting with in the lead up to the World Cup, or EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) reverts back to the known quantity of Holloway (maybe Leota or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but realistically it's Jed).

The second row looks like it is really inked in. And it is short on what we might usually call primary jumpers so we have to look to the back row. Hooper © is not really even a secondary jumper, long balls maybe. Samu jump? Skelton can rate as a secondary jumper, and lifting Hooper © could be interesting but he's not likely to be a primary target. So, for our second primary jumper it is Tom. On the Highveldt. Against the Boks. With a game plan that is reported to highlight kicking. Kicking and fighting to get the ball back.

<You'll have all my support, Tom.>

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
Slipper
Porecki
AAA
Frost
Skelton
T Hooper
McReight
Valentini
McDermott
Cooper
Koroibete
Kerevi
Ikitau
Petaia
Wright

Lonergan
Bell
Tupou
Holloway / Rodda
Samu
White
Gordon
Kellaway

Our hookers are two small but at least they are technically accurate. I'd love a huge body like Uelese but just too high risk.
If Bell and Tupou come back quickly I could easily elevate them to the starting side.
Liam Wright was my smoky but he's injured so I've chucked T Hooper in at 6. We need a young tyke who's not accustomed to losing, who just wants to rip in and damage. Swinton could take that role but discipline is rubbish.
Eddie has mentioned the last few places on the tour go to team guys who are there for spirit. Harry Wilson is a shoe in on that front. I love the guy but I acknowledge he just doesn't bend the line enough no matter how hard he tries. Would be a great tour man, and if injury struck he wouldn't let us down. On that basis I'd take Lonergan as third halfback (Jake Gordon strikes me as bitchy) Noah as third 5/8, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) and Toole as outside backs. In the forwards Matt Gibbon Sam Talakai and Cadern Neville get in on those criteria
Not far off...

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not a bad side
This side will look better when the injured guys are back
With bell and tupou on the bench
Kerevi back at 12
Kellaway and petaia between 14 and 15
We will be very strong then

good test to see if gibbon, Nongurr can stand up, and in particular Tom hooper, has got in front of Holloway. Interesting to see in weeks to come who gets the jersey v all blacks with him and leota

Suli gets a chance to show if he is capable or not, would have preferred Marky N here
Also Uelese

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Don't hate it, but don't like Uelese on the bench with his injury history. Either start or not in the 23 in my book.

I understand your logic - but if Uelese gets injured they can bring Porecki back to maintain a fit front row.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
The second row looks like it is really inked in. And it is short on what we might usually call primary jumpers so we have to look to the back row. Hooper © is not really even a secondary jumper, long balls maybe. Samu jump? Skelton can rate as a secondary jumper, and lifting Hooper © could be interesting but he's not likely to be a primary target. So, for our second primary jumper it is Tom. On the Highveldt. Against the Boks. With a game plan that is reported to highlight kicking. Kicking and fighting to get the ball back.

<You'll have all my support, Tom.>
Frost is a primary jumper. And Tom Hooper's job all season with the brumbies (whilst injured) was to do the research on the opposition lineout so he will hopefully also be handy but Skelton definitely makes things a little challenging when you have M.Hooper at 7