• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And, BR, perhaps less so with
Uelese over Lonergan
Arnold over Neville
Gleeson over Samu
IFL over Lonergan
Donaldson over Lolesio
Jorgensen over Wright
If so, I might add, in most cases I would agree with you
Froggy, I have long since accepted those selections by Jones, even agreeing with some of them.

I am happy to acknowledge IFL as the third No 9 in Eddie's game plan, but I also think Ryan Lonergan might replace Nic White in the running for a spot in 2024.

I think Neville was very unlucky to miss out but Richie A is going ok and clearly offers what Eddie wants, probably height in the lineout.

I was more put out by Ben Donaldson's selection but not necessarily because it was at Noah's expense, but because I thought that there were better options, eg Tom Wright.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Froggy, I have long since accepted those selections by Jones, even agreeing with some of them.

I am happy to acknowledge IFL as the third No 9 in Eddie's game plan, but I also think Ryan Lonergan might replace Nic White in the running for a spot in 2024.

I think Neville was very unlucky to miss out but Richie A is going ok and clearly offers what Eddie wants, probably height in the lineout.

I was more put out by Ben Donaldson's selection but not necessarily because it was at Noah's expense, but because I thought that there were better options, eg Tom Wright.
Dont feed it mate. People will always assume your bias even though most the time you justify your positions.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Tom Wright firmly played himself out of a gig but I agree Noah would be a good inclusion. But anyway, this is the squad we have now.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Tom Wright firmly played himself out of a gig but I agree Noah would be a good inclusion. But anyway, this is the squad we have now.
I think Tom Wright still had a chance for winger and could have been there
If kellaway not injured early on Wright would have played wing and maybe played well
And If Beale played he could have been too

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Id have swapped Pocock. Malcolm Marx seems a very similar build and skill set.
Um, but they don't really? Pocock 1.83/103kg, Marx 189cm/115kg.

Australia's best no.2 since Pocock started - Moore, TPN, Latu, BPN, all of these guys were 117kg+ the latter were all massive explosive ball carriers and added much needed weight to Australia's scrum.

Pocock is considered small for an international openside today & his lack of size would be even more problematic at no2.

Last edited:

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Um, but they don't really? Pocock 1.83/103kg, Marx 189cm/115kg.

Australia's best no.2 since Pocock started - Moore, TPN (Tatafu Polota-Nau), Latu, BPN, all of these guys were 117kg+ the latter were all massive explosive ball carriers and added much needed weight to Australia's scrum.

Pocock is considered small for an international openside today & his lack of size would be even more problematic at no2.
It’s not so much the lack of size, (some counties have smaller/ more mobilise number 2s) the real issue would have been the lack of scrummaging .. you need to start that shit young .. can’t be picking it up at the professional level .

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think you want to be very careful about converting players into front rowers, given the strength required and technical aspects. Chat about Hooper or Pocock at hooker is fanciful IMHO. It's not like converting a fullback to a five eighth like we did with Larkham.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think Donaldson and Noah suffered from their Super Rugby teams playmaking from 9. Without the ball playing aspect of the 10 role, they’re just kind of small guys kicking for touch and goal. It’s weird that that game plan has gone out of favour all of a sudden.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think you want to be very careful about converting players into front rowers, given the strength required and technical aspects. Chat about Hooper or Pocock at hooker is fanciful IMHO. It's not like converting a fullback to a five eighth like we did with Larkham.
Are you implying Pocock wouldn't have been strong enough? Bold.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Are you implying Pocock wouldn't have been strong enough? Bold.
Mate if you threw Payne haas in a professional scrum without any experience he’d snap his neck

…it’s got little to do with how much u bench in the weight room

Rather, Front row has lots of skill, reps, strength & technique that takes years to develop.. there’s a reason why you MUST have an extra prop on the bench… no other position is compulsory ..

Last edited:

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
I think Donaldson and Noah suffered from their Super Rugby teams playmaking from 9. Without the ball playing aspect of the 10 role, they’re just kind of small guys kicking for touch and goal. It’s weird that that game plan has gone out of favour all of a sudden.
Spot on Drew. Coleman and Larkham thought it a good way to go? Don’t understand those tactics. Especially from one of the greatest 10’s Australia has produced in Larkham.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Tom Wright still had a chance for winger and could have been there
If kellaway not injured early on Wright would have played wing and maybe played well
And If Beale played he could have been too
Wright was a chance at Wing until Marky turned it on and slammed the door on him. Vuni had a gifted run it seemed as well as he has done.
Spot on Drew. Coleman and Larkham thought it a good way to go? Don’t understand those tactics. Especially from one of the greatest 10’s Australia has produced in Larkham.
It probably tells you a fair bit about ability/ability to win matches. They see them a lot more than we do. The Brums used Jack Deb as their primary 10.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I watched the game again yesterday and Donaldson did not put a foot wrong outside of a couple of missed tackles. His positional play was flawless and his kicking very good for the most part. He was right there to score two, almost three, tries, saved another certain try and showed a very good turn of pace.
Both Cooper and Foley were horrible in defense when initially selected for the Wallabies and now they are decent in that area, often putting their bodies on the line to make tackles. Donaldson needs to be given a little direction in this part of his game.
I have not been a fan of his selection but good luck to him and well played.
Cooper was horrible in defense for 10 years. Let’s hope we don’t wait that long

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMG_678DB8ED97B8-1.jpeg