• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was as surprised as anybody when Rennie was shafted. One unintended consequence was the loss of all or most of the support staff. The best coach in the world would have up against it under those circumstances.

Rugby Australia needs to face the consequences, maybe a head or two should roll.
None of the people genuinely responsible for the mess Australian rugby is in currently hold roles in RA. I think McLennan fucked up signing EJ (Eddie Jones) (agree with the sentiment he is the Mourinho of world rugby).

But the reality is we have fuck all talent, interest or money. Copy Paste @Pfitzy rant.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it's hard to blame the coaches for between match non-contact injuries like achilles, hamstrings, or calves. Unless they have them sprinting for hours on end or going psychotic in the weight room then running them hard.

Impossible to know without more inside knowledge of how they are training. In the past 12 months I think they've lost their starting 10, 12, 5, 3 in between games. I'm probably missing someone.
It’s a hard one, Eddie is the third coach to say their level of fitness is not up to standard.

Pushing them to their limits to improve their fitness can leave them more susceptible to injury especially soft tissue injuries that can be fatigue related.

But what’s the alternative? You let them remain out of shape and unfit then when they have to try and compete game day they are at an increased risk of being injured.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Friendly reminder we lost 9 Tests last year, including a 48-17 loss to Argentina

People here acting as if we were the Harlem Globetrotters before Eddie showed up. The fact is Eddie would never have got the job if Rennie was better at his in the first place

Eddie has thus far failed badly and deserves to be called out for it, but that doesn't mean Rennie didn't fail as well

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My biggest hesitation around sacking Rennie is that the team sucked and was always likely to struggle at this RWC. It was essentially a waste of money brining in Jones a year early while still paying Rennie.

That has borne out to be true.

I highly doubt we'd have missed out on Eddie if he'd been signed from 2024 onwards and right now, even if we did I'm not sure that would be a disaster.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Apparently EJ (Eddie Jones) is 1 from his last 15 in charge of the Wallabies. Can't be bothered to check the accuracy of that.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
My biggest hesitation around sacking Rennie is that the team sucked and was always likely to struggle at this RWC. It was essentially a waste of money brining in Jones a year early while still paying Rennie.

That has borne out to be true.

I highly doubt we'd have missed out on Eddie if he'd been signed from 2024 onwards and right now, even if we did I'm not sure that would be a disaster.
I doubt we would have been able to secure Eddie from 2024 in Jan 2023. He doesn't seem like the type to sit around and wait (even if we was on his cushy RFU pension). He was fielding high value offers from other unions (USA were interested, likewise Japan).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I doubt we would have been able to secure Eddie from 2024 in Jan 2023. He doesn't seem like the type to sit around and wait (even if we was on his cushy RFU pension). He was fielding high value offers from other unions (USA were interested, likewise Japan).

I disagree.

The four year period of the Wallabies job covered the B&I Lions and a home RWC. I think he would have taken the job above any other offer.

He could have got a consultant job for the RWC if he didn't want to take the year off.

As I said, I'm less convinced now that it would have been a disaster if we did miss out on him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
FWIW we seem to have dropped to 9 on the rankings. Again. Behind Fiji, Wales and England, but ahead of Argentina.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm dead serious

We were beaten from pillar to post by Fiji. Wales had no problem scoring 32 points against that Fiji team and Portugal gave Wales real problems

We are the joke of the Rugby world

Fiji also scored 4 tries against Wales and 1 try against us.

It's not really comparable.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Fiji also scored 4 tries against Wales and 1 try against us.

It's not really comparable.
Because they didn't need to, they completely bossed the game from minute 1

They had to chase the Welsh game because Wales are a semi competent rugby team that managed to hold the ball for 3 phases

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Whilst I have everyone’s attention how to fix the wallabies

Can we scrap the giteau law all together…. What’s the point of bringing back your Kerevis & Koribetes if it can’t even get you out of the group stages?

Let’s leave the idea of a swansong contract in France of Japan being the sunsetting on a wallabies career as opposed to the start of earning serious pay packet while you half heartedly commit to the wallabies program.