• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
1695591958709.png

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
That was the worst performance by a Wallaby side in my lifetime and I have been an avid fan for 50 years. Jones has done more damage to rugby in Australia in a few short months than league and AFL have in decades.
I don’t know what the answer is but this must be rock bottom and it can only get better next year. I feel for Michael Hooper who was robbed of his last World Cup and swan song.
As said a few weeks ago, the senior players in this squad look lost and confused. They are good players but just do not follow or understand the script. There are a few that should not be there and others that should. Every World Cup has been won on experience.
We are not currently world beaters but last year we pushed France and Ireland and beat the Boks. Look at us now. Portugal will fancy their chances.
Sad times

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
For all of those "Dave Rennie also sucked" so what is the difference people out there.

- In 2022 the Wallabies scored 327 Points and had 388 Points Against.
- In 2023 the Wallabies have scored 108 Points and 241 Points Against.

That's an absolutely massive difference. That's the difference between being Scotland/Argentina/Wales and being Samoa or Tonga.

Even assuming you deliberately shit the bed to bleed in younger players, I think it's tough to argue that your young players taking beating after beating is going to do them any favours in the long run.

I've said it before, but Dave Rennie was making the most out of what he had. Yes, Australia aren't the greatest collection of players in the world these days, which is why he had a 38% win rate. But they were dangerous and highly competitive, capable of beating any team in the world. Getting a 38% win rate against the Boks/NZ/Ireland/France and others is about where their talent lined up.

The loss against Italy was a sign of how degraded the player base was since Rennie couldn't rest some key players and still coax a win out of his side. And I'll never understood the logic that Rennie had to go for bleeding young players in a nothing game against Italy(McReight, Gleeson etc.) so the response is to pick a coach that will bleed young players in the most meaningful games possible while losing all of them. Clearly Dave Rennie isn't a complete idiot and was trying to accomplish both things at the same time, to the best of his ability. And post-Italy they beat Wales with a bruised and battered lineup.

As a Canadian on a similar downward trajectory we pulled the same idiocy when we canned Kieran Crowley for delivering "historic losses." Now he's looking fantastic with Italy and we have a worse HC and continue our slide into irrelevancy.

Note: I removed Georgia because they are a T2 team, not that it would make a big difference.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Just curious what happened to match spoilers in this thread… I’m guessing I shouldn’t bother watching the Wales game I recorded?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Let’s start talking new coaches depending after this Wales result….

One name i would like to present
Brad Thorn.

I think he could be a really good coach with a good support staff and access to New Star players

Thorn proved at the Reds what a terrible head coach he is. Although I do think he would make a decent assistant coach - a solid forwards coach.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Some players are going to struggle to come back from this.

I think Arnold might of played his last test

Tate will be around the squad, but he isn’t remotely close to the answer. Fundamentals are subpar for a 9, there is school boys with better passing and kicking skills it’s embarrassing. Lonergan clearly the best of the younger bunch. Tate has so much talent but how does one get to this level with the basics so below par?

Kerevi I thought has been solid but nothing spectacular, wouldn’t surprise me to see him moved on because of his age.

Leota will just remain a wider squad guy, not good enough to be a starter.

Pone, I don’t want to be overly critical because he’s essentially only there as last man standing. Won’t come into talks unless injuries happen.

Slipper I think is done

Petaia at 13 won’t happen, could see him given the 14 jersey and see Koroibete moved on.

Porecki will be lucky to play another test beyond the World Cup.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The RWC playing group have either drunk the Kool-Aid or are just playing nice.

Andrew Kellaway's responses after the game about why Eddie is 'the man for the job' come off as someone who genunitely believes it. His comments about Eddie always being the first to take blame though I find laughable.

Eddie tried to bamboozle us all before the RWC and spoke about 'smash and grabs' picking a 'young team who can do the job' and all that rubbish. If he couldn't see the writing on the wall that this playing group had zero chance of winning the whole thing (he probably didn't predict they'd be this bad or would lose our two best players in the pool stage) then he's dumber than 99% of the Australian rugby population.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Thorn proved at the Reds what a terrible head coach he is. Although I do think he would make a decent assistant coach - a solid forwards coach.

No he didn’t.

He was a good coach who was hamstrung by a front office who refused to negotiate with the premier player agent in Australia and just continually bled the talent he developed

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Andrew Kellaway's responses after the game about why Eddie is 'the man for the job' come off as someone who genunitely believes it. His comments about Eddie always being the first to take blame though I find laughable.

I know it’s an untenable situation but if the players believe in him… I’d consider keeping him.

The pay packet for paying a fired coach the next 4 years would be detrimental to the grass roots