• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m suggesting Brad as the head coach of wallabies.

After Bernard I reckon he is the most experienced out of the recent super rugby options.

My preference would be McKellar but he should of stayed on with the eddie staff - would be certain promotion

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I’m suggesting Brad as the head coach of wallabies.

After Bernard I reckon he is the most experienced out of the recent super rugby options.

My preference would be McKellar but he should of stayed on with the eddie staff - would be certain promotion

go completely out of the box get someone from up nth or south africa & completely change our game style

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
go completely out of the box get someone from up nth or south africa & completely change our game style

The problem with looking too far outside the box, particularly an established coach with a new gameplan etc is that you need cattle who can play their game plan.

This is going to be problem with rugby in Australia forever, cattle, cattle, cattle.

Bring back the best rugby coaches from the grave to coach our current player stocks and we still probably barely get out of the pool stages.

After this RWC performance and the Brisbane Lions and Brisbane Broncos on their way to the GFs in their respective comps, I reckon our grassroots stocks in QLD are going to take a beating for the next few years.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I like the southern hemisphere style of rugby member section id rather lose looking like the Fijians then lose looking like the boring NH goal kicking numpties of north…. But yeah preference is to win so bring on the NH coach if right fit for job

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No he didn’t.

He was a good coach who was hamstrung by a front office who refused to negotiate with the premier player agent in Australia and just continually bled the talent he developed

I would argue with the talent he had at his disposal he has under-developed many players.

Petaia was one of the best on field at the last RWC at 13, but he has been an inconsistent error prone player ever since. With his athleticism he could and should be world-class by now. It's been 4 YEARS and he seems to be a worse player now.

Tupou is in a similar situation. His potential is huge but consistency is not there.

Wilson also with huge potential but has made little progress. He could be a regular starter at Test level with the right development,

McReight and Tate have made some strides but neither are world-beaters. I could go on.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The problem with looking too far outside the box, particularly an established coach with a new gameplan etc is that you need cattle who can play their game plan.

This is going to be problem with rugby in Australia forever, cattle, cattle, cattle.

Bring back the best rugby coaches from the grave to coach our current player stocks and we still probably barely get out of the pool stages.

After this RWC performance and the Brisbane Lions and Brisbane Broncos on their way to the GFs in their respective comps, I reckon our grassroots stocks in QLD are going to take a beating for the next few years.

Maybe Rugby Australia need to spend big with top-up payments of 5 top quality super rugby coaches. Pay Gatland, Jake White, Joe Schmidt, Robbie Deans, McKenzie, Cheikia - any coach with proven success to bring some top quality coaches and programs to all super rugby teams.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Maybe Rugby Australia need to spend big with top-up payments of 5 top quality super rugby coaches. Pay Gatland, Jake White, Joe Schmidt, Robbie Deans, McKenzie, Cheikia - any coach with proven success to bring some top quality coaches and programs to all super rugby teams.

The problem is mate, there is going to be fuck all engagement with Super Rugby going forward. If there wasn't a RWC here in 2027 I reckon there would already be discussions about the long-term viability of that competition and what benefit it is to the Wallabies structure.

All of these problems should have been addressed 20 years ago. Rugby teams at schoolboy and junior club level aren't suddenly going to become filled with players just because Deans and Cheika are coaching Super Rugby teams and have brought a couple of decent players. The root cause of the problem will remain.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The problem is mate, there is going to be fuck all engagement with Super Rugby going forward. If there wasn't a RWC here in 2027 I reckon there would already be discussions about the long-term viability of that competition and what benefit it is to the Wallabies structure.

All of these problems should have been addressed 20 years ago. Rugby teams at schoolboy and junior club level aren't suddenly going to become filled with players just because Deans and Cheika are coaching Super Rugby teams and have brought a couple of decent players. The root cause of the problem will remain.

At least the current crop of players would be developed better. Look at the Brumbies as an example. They seem to be getting the most out of there players who aren't exactly world-beaters in terms of natural skill or athleticism.

If every Super Rugby team was better coached with better programs then all these players who are just one-level away from being a solid Test level player or world-class get that much closer.

Even if it simply improves the fitness accross the board it would probably be worth it.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Whose everyone's biggest underperformed this WC, hard to say but I think Kerevi, Arnold would be up there
Got to be Arnold for me. Even if I didn't agree with all the selections (which is fair to say!), I could pretty much rationalise them all and see what Eddie was going for. It didn't pay off and there should be recriminations, but I don't think there were many incoherent selections.

But Arnold, holy moly, don't think I saw one reason he should be picked across any test he played this year. Seems under physical given his size, very ill-disciplined, isn't a line-out operator. Whilst we should obviously have picked Skelton, our lock stocks in general are pretty good? One of the few positions we consistently have options at IMO. Baffling selection.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Got to be Arnold for me. Even if I didn't agree with all the selections (which is fair to say!), I could pretty much rationalise them all and see what Eddie was going for. It didn't pay off and there should be recriminations, but I don't think there were many incoherent selections.

But Arnold, holy moly, don't think I saw one reason he should be picked across any test he played this year. Seems under physical given his size, very ill-disciplined, isn't a line-out operator. Whilst we should obviously have picked Skelton, our lock stocks in general are pretty good? One of the few positions we consistently have options at IMO. Baffling selection.
Agree completely, He got the wrong Arnold (I think Rory would have been underwhelming too), he was just a penalty magnet, piss poor in the maul no sting in the carry, couldn't jump up for a lineout

I'd have Swain, Rodda, Williams, Sinclair, Von Appen, Neville, Canham etc. above him

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I am in camp Kerevi underperforming - but I’ll give him a pass mark for all the injured guys who had to fight the clock to get back.

lot of players in the wallabies this year who could of done with a full season of prep - but Rennie casual ward of 2023 had other ideas

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am in camp Kerevi underperforming - but I’ll give him a pass mark for all the injured guys who had to fight the clock to get back.

lot of players in the wallabies this year who could of done with a full season of prep - but Rennie casual ward of 2023 had other ideas
Yep averaging 2m per carry is awful for someone like him. Cya Kerevi.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Those bagging Kerevi
Hard to play well when you have basketcase 10s inside you, Kerevi was the best 12 in the world and will get back there! Yes he is not dominating like he was in 2021 but certainly not the worst out there! He performed well when Quade took it to the like and used him which attracted 2-3 defenders each time and freed up spade outside and in turn gave Quade confidence
Jones gameplan was for Kerevi to kick during the rugby champs then not use him well since
The wallabies atm have no gameplan - jones never had one going into rugby champs, dropped everyone and brought in guys not capable enough yet to play
I mean have you ever seen a RWC squad with so many non capped and less than 5 cap players?
does anyone wish we could re wind time and start again as we have some talent there

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Those bagging Kerevi
Hard to play well when you have basketcase 10s inside you, Kerevi was the best 12 in the world and will get back there! Yes he is not dominating like he was in 2021 but certainly not the worst out there! He performed well when Quade took it to the like and used him which attracted 2-3 defenders each time and freed up spade outside and in turn gave Quade confidence
Jones gameplan was for Kerevi to kick during the rugby champs then not use him well since
The wallabies atm have no gameplan - jones never had one going into rugby champs, dropped everyone and brought in guys not capable enough yet to play
I mean have you ever seen a RWC squad with so many non capped and less than 5 cap players?
does anyone wish we could re wind time and start again as we have some talent there

Mate I’ve been following Kerevi since he played colts rugby at my club.

One of his best attributes was he could have Edward Scissorhands playing 10 but still manage to get 10m over the gain line with a flat footed carry.

This 2023 Kerevi is suffering from injury setback and playing vacation footy in Japan for too long.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

One of his best attributes was he could have Edward Scissorhands playing 10 but still manage to get 10m over the gain line with a flat footed carry.

This 2023 Kerevi is suffering from injury setback and playing vacation footy in Japan for too long.

Some players just dont get their explosiveness back after an acl

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)

Yes but he hasn’t been terrible
Has just not had his usual impact
Could name another 20 players to bag out before Kerevi

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The RWC playing group have either drunk the Kool-Aid or are just playing nice.

Andrew Kellaway's responses after the game about why Eddie is 'the man for the job' come off as someone who genunitely believes it. His comments about Eddie always being the first to take blame though I find laughable.

Eddie tried to bamboozle us all before the RWC and spoke about 'smash and grabs' picking a 'young team who can do the job' and all that rubbish. If he couldn't see the writing on the wall that this playing group had zero chance of winning the whole thing (he probably didn't predict they'd be this bad or would lose our two best players in the pool stage) then he's dumber than 99% of the Australian rugby population.

A player will never slam the current coach that is selecting him for there's a risk that the next one might not.