• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can you elaborate on the learning his place aspect?
Tupou’s comment raised a few eyebrows, not just mine. On the other hand you have Angus Bell in the same forum, who conducted himself professionally. It doesn’t matter if you’re the best player in the world, have decorum and don’t write-off or isolate your team mates particularly when in the media. Maybe Tupou is not that smart and needs guidance.

I was happy with the news of Tupou coming to the Rebels. His reputation precedes him and I hope that he keeps that shit out of the locker room at the Rebels.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the comment would have just had people shaking their heads thinking “fuck he’s stupid” more than he’s being conniving.

Feels similar to Selwyn Cobbo on a podcast before the NRL season saying “I don’t think he’s a good coach” about Walters. They get too comfortable in these type of mediums and say casual chat and forget it’s being published.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fergo’z assessment of the Reds disillusionment with Thorn isnt too far off the mark. It wasn’t just Tupou though who was sinking the ship, Mafi and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) were part of the main trio and it’s not surprising all three are now gone.

Agree with others that Taniela’s comments here align with the general Wallabies narrative but he also needs to be more thoughtful about his word choice.

He reminds me a bit of Dave Taylor actually the former NRL player. After a couple of seasons in the game and similar types of comments, his manager banned him from interviewing and made him delete all social media.

Taniela’s actions both on and off the field are very much a shoot first ask questions later approach. As he rises in the ranks as one of the marketable rugby players in Australia, they’ll need to put some better reigns on what is and isn’t published.

Last edited:

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Taniela’s actions both on and off the field are very much a shoot first ask questions later approach. As he rises in the ranks as one of the marketable rugby players in Australia, they’ll need to put some better reigns on what is and isn’t published.
I am no marketing guru, but he got lots of limelight from very early on in his career. He will need to stay fit and injury free to rate much higher than he does now, I reckon.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Tupou’s comment raised a few eyebrows, not just mine. On the other hand you have Angus Bell in the same forum, who conducted himself professionally. It doesn’t matter if you’re the best player in the world, have decorum and don’t write-off or isolate your team mates particularly when in the media. Maybe Tupou is not that smart and needs guidance.

I was happy with the news of Tupou coming to the Rebels. His reputation precedes him and I hope that he keeps that shit out of the locker room at the Rebels.
This is some wild old man yelling at cloud- type stuff.

Who did he isolate? Do you think Carter Gordon is horrendously upset? Carters probably rational enough to admit that the team needed some experienced players to support them. He basically said out loud what everyone in the squad is thinking.

In the modern age, people expect players to have a personality and not be robots. He’s good enough that he can have an opinion.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

I'd rather focus on this. He seems something special, on and off the field. Could be a 5+ year Captain

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He's someone I think we all agree is an absolute top tier talent. It's recognised by other nations also that this bloke is something else.

Stays injury free he seems the exact type of leader we need. I imagine he has got a lot from being in a Front Row group with Slipper, AAA and how much experience they have.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And here I was thinking Tupou's comments were pretty uncontroversial/obvious. They pretty clearly needed more experience at 10 and in the broader squad...

I mean Carter Gordon said it himself - he hadn't practised kicking all year. And Donaldson... well you know.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
And here I was thinking Tupou's comments were pretty uncontroversial/obvious. They pretty clearly needed more experience at 10 and in the broader squad...

I mean Carter Gordon said it himself - he hadn't practised kicking all year. And Donaldson... well you know.
I wonder why Carter Gordon didn't practice kicking. I assumed all 10s practice that skill set for around the ground AND goal kicking.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I agree with that. Even if not a primary kicker you would want to be able to step up if required as the 10.

Can also think that he is talking about not putting in the type of kicking sessions that others do. Doesn't mean he did completely nothing all year.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Any player that wants to make themselves a more valuable asset to the team should be out there practicing. The narrative that the 10 needs to be a place kicker is rubbish. Id rather the 10 focus on being a good game manager, ball player and line runner first. Let someone else practice their kicking. If they already are a talented kicker and that is part of their selection then thats great, but i dont see kicking as part of the reason Carter was selected.

On the flip side if he does kick for rebs this year and it comes good, then thats a bonus

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Any player that wants to make themselves a more valuable asset to the team should be out there practicing. The narrative that the 10 needs to be a place kicker is rubbish. Id rather the 10 focus on being a good game manager, ball player and line runner first. Let someone else practice their kicking. If they already are a talented kicker and that is part of their selection then thats great, but i dont see kicking as part of the reason Carter was selected.

On the flip side if he does kick for rebs this year and it comes good, then thats a bonus
The same goes with Kellaway, if he wants to play full-back he should learn to kick.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

This is correct. There really needs to be some ownership from the players themselves