• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Okay - I retract the point about them specifically wanting him to fail.

But I find it interesting that the head coach of the national team goes to Rugby Australia, with what many believe is a fairly sensible request considering the circumstances, and they knock him back.

One can only assume their stance is they've already made a change to the eligibility rules for him last year, so he should work within those parameters.

Fair enough they aren't seeking him to fail, but I don't see this move as very supportive either. Would you agree?

Yes, I agree mostly. I do think they have broader issues to think through [edit: as Adam has suggested] but any position knocking back his player requests is not supportive.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
12 months ago everyone thought they’d be getting rich off Cryptocurrency and James O’Conner wasn’t about to run out for club rugby. It was a long time ago.

Regardless, I don’t think Rennie asking for one more player to added is going against comments he made 12 months ago.

Its kind of besides the point anyway. What I’m getting at is the fact that Rennie went to Rugby Australia asking for some help, and they turned him back. I don’t think it’s a good look.

And what I'm getting at, is Rennie commented on precisely why the policy should be limited only 12 months ago, and he sat in on the RA policy review that was announced 6 months ago.

Crypto is a silly analogy, what has changed for Rennie in the past 6-12 months that changes his stances on foreign players and the risk of selecting to many? Poor results? His Job security?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Phil, I mostly like your stuff mate, but honestly, that is an assinine statement. You might argue as to whether Rugby Australia are effective but there is no way that they would knowingly and actively seek failure.
Come on dru, haven’t you heard of conspiracy theories? Large rings in corn fields and movie studios in the desert and all that…
It’s not beyond sports bodies to get pigheaded about something to stick to some (artificial) directive, hence working counter to the coach’s plans.

On Skelton, I watched a few of his club games and he looked sharp and fit. But whether he fits into the plan and the balance of the tight 5 and the lineout is another thing. He is still a card risk as well.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The idea has just been put forward by DR. We can all whinge if they keep it at 3. The Giteau law was introduced to help our chances during the RWC. What’s to say they don’t tweak it again before the upcoming event?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
And imagine how the Rugby Australia fiefdom would look if they back-tracked on a ruling they made - for the betterment of the game here in Oz - and actually gave Rennie what he wanted..

Oh no, they can't be made to look weak and change an edict they inserted, regardless of whether or not it will help the Wallabies.

Can't endanger their 'snouts not being in the trough' ...
They literally changed the policy in February, and also again last year during the TRC from what it was. That's twice in 18months.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And imagine how the Rugby Australia fiefdom would look if they back-tracked on a ruling they made - for the betterment of the game here in Oz - and actually gave Rennie what he wanted..

Oh no, they can't be made to look weak and change an edict they inserted, regardless of whether or not it will help the Wallabies.

Can't endanger their 'snouts not being in the trough' ...
Jesus christ I've honestly never heard a bigger load of shit in my fucking life. I get there is no rugby on but fuck me.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The idea has just been put forward by DR. We can all whinge if they keep it at 3. The Giteau law was introduced to help our chances during the RWC. What’s to say they don’t tweak it again before the upcoming event?

It’s 5 weeks until all 4 players are theoretically available anyway. Long time in rugby..

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
With JOC (James O'Connor) lining up at 12 for Brothers today, do we think that’s indicative of Rennie’s outlook? i.e. 10. Cooper/Noah 12. O’Connor?

If JOC (James O'Connor) can get his ‘sharpness’ back, I don’t mind it to be honest.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
With JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) lining up at 12 for Brothers today, do we think that’s indicative of Rennie’s outlook? i.e. 10. Cooper/Noah 12. O’Connor?

If JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) can get his ‘sharpness’ back, I don’t mind it to be honest.
If he is on the bench he needs to cover both. I’m not sure that he has the stomach for what Rennie wants from his 12. More likely Paisami or LF will fill the role.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
With JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) lining up at 12 for Brothers today, do we think that’s indicative of Rennie’s outlook? i.e. 10. Cooper/Noah 12. O’Connor?

If JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) can get his ‘sharpness’ back, I don’t mind it to be honest.

Lawson Creighton is running at 10 for Brother. I think him at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 could be what the Reds are looking at for next year with Stewart on the way out.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If he is on the bench he needs to cover both. I’m not sure that he has the stomach for what Rennie wants from his 12. More likely Paisami or LF will fill the role.
I would wonder, and its just out loud, why he would pick Simone if his not going to play him..

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lawson Creighton is running at 10 for Brother. I think him at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) at 12 could be what the Reds are looking at for next year with Stewart on the way out.
Where is Stewart going? He will be missed. He keeps their midfield together.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would wonder, and its just out loud, why he would pick Simone if his not going to play him..

Goes to show how strange our game can be.

One minute Simone about to run off the bench for Bond in club rugby, the next he’s looking a possible Wallaby starter.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He looked very sharp but did not have to defend much. He could work at 12

Still think it's a stretch too far at 12, I don't think his running game is that good anymore, nor his defense. But I love the sound of a fit and in form JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, let Quade and JOC (James O'Connor) fight it out.