• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The Marketing Pigeon

Allen Oxlade (6)
From the squad think this is how we line up for the first test
1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Korobiete
12. Foketi
13. Ikitau
14. Vunivalu (Classic Eddie Pick)
15. Wright
16. Uelese
17. Gibbon
18. Nongorr
19. Frost
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Gordon
23. Hodge

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Anyway, I didn't think Hooper would make it but incredible he's now been selected captain by Deans, McKenzie, Cheika, Rennie and Jones.
He wasn't made permanent captain until Cheika, Stephen Moore was captain for the start of Cheika rein and the 2015 RWC.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
2023 Squad depth / make up breakdown. Hopefully details are accurate around eligibility and squad makeup.

Anyway, shows Rebels looking good depth wise (disregarding some international eligibility) while real concerns laid bare around lack of quality in Reds teamView attachment 16633
From a western force perspective, disappointing to get so few picked but as shown here can’t really complain due to injuries and more overseas players than others.
Jeremy williams could have been a bolter maybe ahead of Charlie Cale or Darcy Swain
Great to see IFL recognised though

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Few take aways from Eddie in the press conference.
1. All overseas players picked for the squad were accepted, so Bernard wasn’t picked not knocked back by the board on picks.
2. Kerevi only player named in the rehab squad that could still be available for South African game.
3. Hooper seen as an 80 minute player and Mcreight they only other player he sees going for 7 - with Kemeny he wants to be able to play 6,7 or wing (likely a bench spot)
4. Hinted that against South Africa lineout jumping will be key for his number 6 - Jed Holloway shaping as the pick but thinks highly of Leota
Does that rule Bell out definitely. If so, are there only two LHPs in the squad? What happens if one goes down pre-game? Risky?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nonggoor > Pone & Talakai is my head scratcher. (though I would have taken LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) over Hooper just because already a bit shakey with Leota with no form and another novice in Kemeny)

Nonggoor has got rolled multiple times this year - surely either a giant beast pone or a reliable ancher talakai would be a safer bet against SA...

Really hope Tupou plays first game...

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nonggoor > Pone & Talakai is my head scratcher. (though I would have taken LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) over Hooper just because already a bit shakey with Leota with no form and another novice in Kemeny)

Nonggoor has got rolled multiple times this year - surely either a giant beast pone or a reliable ancher talakai would be a safer bet against SA...

Same, but if he’s been named in the squad and not rehab and is flying to SA then surely they’ll play him

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I recall Eddie picked out Jack Nowell as his ‘hybrid’ forward/back when he was England coach. Never played him in the forwards once. Hope he doesn’t play around with kemeny like he did with a few guys when he was England coach

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I find the whole squad thing weird, especially with all the different categories. Since we’re in SA first it would’ve been better to just name the players who are on the plane (however many that will be) and then name a bigger squad for the 2 matches at home.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nonggoor > Pone & Talakai is my head scratcher. (though I would have taken LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) over Hooper just because already a bit shakey with Leota with no form and another novice in Kemeny)

this ^^^^^ perhaps he knows what the other two can do and is seeing if Nonggoor can cut it at international level. or a clssic Eddie kick up the bum to Pone F

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
As it was said before we need those injured guys back asap, 4 of those certain in the 23.
would make a big difference
Would rodda and Robertson made this team or the training squad? Could have been either
I think Toole and jorgo would have been training squad only

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I recall Eddie picked out Jack Nowell as his ‘hybrid’ forward/back when he was England coach. Never played him in the forwards once. Hope he doesn’t play around with kemeny like he did with a few guys when he was England coach
Pietsch is the only guy with that ability if you want to use your imagination. 7s history and he was a 8 in his School Boy days.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
2023 Squad depth / make up breakdown. Hopefully details are accurate around eligibility and squad makeup.

Anyway, shows Rebels looking good depth wise (disregarding some international eligibility) while real concerns laid bare around lack of quality in Reds teamView attachment 16633
Seriously great work Reg. Geez it makes the Force squad look short on quality too...

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Picking Zane could be the classic EJ (Eddie Jones) tactic of trying to motivate Pone, otherwise I thought HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was the next tighthead off the block?

It'll be interesting to see how Zane goes with some weight either side and behind him. Slipper debuted a year younger than Zane and had similar problems that all young props face.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I hope Eddie making Slipper co-captain allows him bench Hooper if needed.

Bit odd that our two co-captains are arguably not the two best players in their positions.
I think they'll both have their minutes managed throughout the season. Slipper played a lot of rugby last year with all of our prop injuries and Hooper is only one season out from having to take a break after being burnt out.