• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Realistically, if you can play tighthead there is no reason you cant play loosehead. Keep your body straight, get your head under their chest and be aggressive
I don't agree with that at all. Tighthead is about being stable and pure power a lot of the time. A tighthead needs to be able to handle the front row bastardry that is the standard of all looseheads. I was primarily a Loosehead when I played and my role was to give the opposition Tighty a touch up using every dirty little trick I could think of and work with the somewhat intellectually deficient Hooker to make his life a little unbearable. Having a certain freedom of movement not offered to a tighthead means you have to play somewhat differently at scrum time.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Just a couple of comments on the squad (I know it's been done to death, but my thoughts anyway)
The players I think are dead lucky, and wouldn't be in my squad are Uelese, Donaldson and Vunivalu. I have yet to see the much vaunted reputation of Vunivalu, Donadlson had two good games all year and for mine would be behind Lolesio (who also wouldn't be in my squad) and likewise Uelese only had one or two good games and can't throw.
Left field selections I thought deserved their unlikely selection are Nongoor, Kemeny and Peitsch, all players I rate and I think wouldn't let a Wallabies side down.
The unlucky ones I believe are L Lonergan and Neville. I can see why Neville missed out with the two overseas selections, but how Uelese is selected ahead of Lonergan baffles me.
As to captaincy, my position on Hooper is known (positive) but while fine with Slipper, my co-captain selection would have been AAA.
Think overall your thinking is in line with most people in here.

I will say Vunivalu finished the year off quite well I thought and seemed to be looking for work on the field which is what you want. Surprise surprise it came from playing consistent footy.

Uelese is lucky, but lucky he's a large human. That's why he's there but gee I'm worried about his throwing. Donaldson......honestly no idea and I give up on this one. Clearly there's something they want or their short on the Randwick quota.

Hopefully Lonergan features in some games after the RSA tour.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Why was Donaldson listed as a utility? Jones said about wanting Kemeny to be able to play wing and Pietsch used to play backrow. Donaldson's utility is 10 and 15, so he should still be listed in the backs. Or has Eddie been training him to be a forward?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why was Donaldson listed as a utility? Jones said about wanting Kemeny to be able to play wing and Pietsch used to play backrow. Donaldson's utility is 10 and 15, so he should still be listed in the backs. Or has Eddie been training him to be a forward?
I think it is Jones' throwing hand grenades

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
These stats are from Russell Forbes, former Wasps Head of Performance Analysis. He's also done an interesting one on flyhalves. Gordon is leagues away from the rest. And goes well in comparison to the NZers too. Impressive for a 22 year old leading a shit team to be up there with Richie Mo'unga. Almost feel like he should be swapped with Lolesio at the Brumbies for the good of Australian Rugby.
1687826894659.png
1687827009687.png

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Kellaway & Petaia (both 3.8) beat more defenders than McLeod & Caleb Clarke (3.2, 3.0) but Narawa and Fainga'anuku were on 4.9 and 4.2 respectively.

I think Kellaway's & Petaia's stats would improve running around in the back three of the Blues, 'sader or Chiefs as well

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
These stats are from Russell Forbes, former Wasps Head of Performance Analysis. He's also done an interesting one on flyhalves. Gordon is leagues away from the rest. And goes well in comparison to the NZers too. Impressive for a 22 year old leading a shit team to be up there with Richie Mo'unga. Almost feel like he should be swapped with Lolesio at the Brumbies for the good of Australian Rugby. View attachment 16642View attachment 16643
Assuming the Wallabies forward pack reaches something around parity consistently it will be a big change for Gordon to play without the ball a lot more.

I think this is something Cooper does better than any other Aus 10 and is a very underrated quality. I recall watching Quade for the Rebels against QLD at a near empty Suncorp and Cooper was audible from where I was sitting 20 rows back directing his pigs around. No other player's voice on the field was anywhere as easily identifiable.

DoubleCodeTraitor

Frank Row (1)
Darius Boyd did.

I think at most its a wish list more than genuine hard targets. If I was to guess names with no comment on current contracts I’d say Koula, Murray, Crichton, Tulangi and a Smokey might be Ilias at Souths who has played before.

Cleary would have to want to do it because he’d cost more than Sua’ali’i on what he’s paid by Penrith. Also don’t think he’s ever played before has he?

Anywho, this is wallabies 2023 which won’t see any of these names.
I didn't read your reply properly. I just laughed at your Darius Boyd mention.

I think Cleary played rugby union in school when Ivan was coaching the warriors in NZ. Also sure he'd have been sent to private school in western Sydney when Ivan went back to Penrith.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Faessler is a very good pick. He really came on strong. Looks to have the frame for test footy too.

3 halfbacks in the train on squad is very odd. Debreczeni or Lolesio instead of one of those surely.

Donaldson selection is rather baffling. He did his best to play his way out of the squad.
Faessler appears to be very accurate with his lineout throws - an asset not shared by the other hookers.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Faessler appears to be very accurate with his lineout throws - an asset not shared by the other hookers.

Had a good yr & yes can throw straight like DP can but he comes with the same knocks that are on DP. not huge in contact, not a world class in the scrum & doesn't really get over the ball much.

Yes I know not everyone can be Malcolm Marx/Codie Taylor/Sheehan/Jamie George but to win a rwc you have to have someone that of that ilk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd suggest the others backs are all training and being considered for the match day 23 exclusively in ONE position, including Hodge.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Had a good yr & yes can throw straight like DP can but he comes with the same knocks that are on DP. not huge in contact, not a world class in the scrum & doesn't really get over the ball much.

Yes I know not everyone can be Malcolm Marx/Codie Taylor/Sheehan/Jamie George but to win a rwc you have to have someone that of that ilk
Win the RWC? We will be lucky to make the semis

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I’m relying on the eye test here - but I thought he got quite a few turnovers from pilfering. He also seemed pretty good with ball in hand - more god footwork than straight power.

The big test for him I feel will be scrum time and in defence. He seems a relatively accurate defender but not a dominant tackler is my observation and I’m not sure how that will go against more powerful international packs.

In a straight choice against Porecki I’d be happy to see him get an opportunity as, IMO, Porecki has been underwhelming at test level. Not expecting him to light up test rugby, but hopefully he will be solid.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is Hooper really an outstanding leader? Great player and I always thought he had a 'follow me' type of captaincy but didn't notice him being very effective on field in talking to players, communicating referee's instructions and changing approaches etc.
I agree to some extent but mainly on his game management, typified by his focus on ignoring kicks at goal which cost us a couple of times.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hooper was made captain by McKenzie, not Cheika, when Moore was injured. He was then retained by Cheika, Rennie and now Jones. He was also co-captain of the Aus 20's, captained the Tahs under Gibson, after which he advised Penney he no longer wanted to captain the Tahs, and even then GC made him acting captain when Gordon was injured. It's a pity all these people know so much less than the contributors to GAGR!
Incidentally, if I had to name the best Wallaby captain I've seen in my time it would be Nick Farr-Jones
I think McRight will be the best captain we will never have.