• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
We need Liam Wright at 7 and his injury woes are a big worry. He would bring not only pilfering but also impact and smarts which we associate with McRight but in a bigger body. He is also a decent captain. Next year if his body hardens up he should be a serious contender and would make a backrow of Valentini, Holloway and Wright a potent force.

Reactions: Ged

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Is he? Again this seems like more of a theory than something he’s actually demonstrated on the field

The brumbies forward pack certainly didn’t look underpowered with Longergan at hooker

a rolling maul yes, I wouldn't say they were by far & above any aus side in the scrum

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Following Uncle Eddies statement around Kemeny and Utility players Ball Carrier Rugby on Instagram put up a post with players that have been in both the Forward and Backs (recent history as I reckon it happened more way back)

Sam Burgess - Backrow & Centre
Richie Vernon - Backrow & Centre
Pierre Spies - Backrow & Wing
Radike Samo - Backrow, Lock, Wing
Mauro Bergamasco - Backrow & Halfback

I know George Smith had a go at Halfback and Centre in Club games but I don't recall ever as an international. Any others?

I really do think it's an interesting idea and could help his RWC chances if Eddie is being serious.

Toutai Kefu played for the Wallabies in the centres, alongside his brother, v Barbarians.
Jim Williams played club level as a centre.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Following Uncle Eddies statement around Kemeny and Utility players Ball Carrier Rugby on Instagram put up a post with players that have been in both the Forward and Backs (recent history as I reckon it happened more way back)

Sam Burgess - Backrow & Centre
Richie Vernon - Backrow & Centre
Pierre Spies - Backrow & Wing
Radike Samo - Backrow, Lock, Wing
Mauro Bergamasco - Backrow & Halfback

I know George Smith had a go at Halfback and Centre in Club games but I don't recall ever as an international. Any others?

I really do think it's an interesting idea and could help his RWC chances if Eddie is being serious.
Jim Williams.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Lote Tuquiri had a bit of a showing

Playing for the Wallabies in their 2003 World Cup pool game against Romania, coach Eddie Jones sent him on from the bench to play on the flank in the last 10 minutes.

From a pick and drive two metres out, Tuqiri even scored his first try in Test rugby.

"I had to pack in the scrum," Tuqiri recalls, laughing. "I didn't know what I was doing. I just said, 'What do I do?' They said, 'Bind behind his arse. Make sure you push and he doesn't come backwards'.

"[The try] came off the scrum, two to three phases in. We were nearly over the line. I went to clean out. The ball presented itself. I picked it up, drove over and scored."

After the experience, Tuqiri dismissed further talk of him exploring life as a forward.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm sure the other Hookers were appreciative of that. I watched Hooper play 12 for Manly in his Brumby days. Club level they can all probably shift around but I want internationals.

Don't remember that Kefu game but I like it. Hougaard has to be one of the best recent players to shift around. Wing and Halfback both at an international level.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And not quite the same type of utility but TPN (Tatafu Polota-Nau) was known to run out at #8 on occassion for Two Blues.
In 2006 TPN was the #8 in the Australian team that won the IRB Under 19 Rugby World Championship. Josh Holmes was the half-back, I think he might have retired, but pretty sure he was still playing for Warringah last season.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Liam Wright need games. He was building towards the end of the year like a lot of the Qld guys (Vunivalu, Nonngorr etc) and I think would have been in at least the Aus A team if healthy.

With this being Hooper's last dance and Samu leaving I think Wright has every chance to be a part of a lot of Wallaby teams I just don't think it will be this year.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Liam Wright need games. He was building towards the end of the year like a lot of the Qld guys (Vunivalu, Nonngorr etc) and I think would have been in at least the Aus A team if healthy.

With this being Hooper's last dance and Samu leaving I think Wright has every chance to be a part of a lot of Wallaby teams I just don't think it will be this year.
Good chance Wright would've been included in the squad if he hadn't done his shoulder IMO - he was having a stellar year.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Do we know that size had anything to do with LL's exclusion? Maybe Eddie doesn't rate him in other areas as highly as you do as well.

On a similar note, I was thinking last night that it's a bit of a turnaround for the Brumbies from having all 3 hookers plus the development one in the Wallabies squad, to having none. Just an observation, I'm not being critical.
What else could it be, not even Eddie could sit there with a straight face and say Uelese was picked on form
a rolling maul yes, I wouldn't say they were by far & above any aus side in the scrum
They weren't any worse, and were by far and away the best Aus team in general, and Eddie supposedly loves a winning mentality

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Pete Samu was an excitement machine at 12 for Randwick before going to the Crusaders. Pretty sure there’s been bench halfbacks put on the wing due to injures. Then IFL played a bit on the wing too. I

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good scrummager
As said, he was dynamite in his first few tests and played without fear. He really looked like a young TPN. He is the best scrummaging hooker in the country.
Hopefully EJ (Eddie Jones) can get him playing like his 19yr old self. At the rebels he goes from ruck to ruck facilitating and stays down when tackled. Jones needs to fire him up and get him playing without fear. He needs to throw that big body around and impose himself without being scared of making errors.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is he? Again this seems like more of a theory than something he’s actually demonstrated on the field

The brumbies forward pack certainly didn’t look underpowered with Longergan at hooker
His last test against the ABs when he came on they monstered the AB pack at scrum time and he scored a great try off a lineout with lots of work to do. He needs to be fit and have an attitude adjustment Eddie Jones style. Otherwise let him go.