• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's been suggested, on this very thread I think, that Eddie might be looking to fight fire with fire by selecting his biggest and most aggressive side against the Saffas.

I would assume, with both Bell and Tupou on the plane, they will both be in the selection mix. If that is the case I hope he starts with the two of them and have Slipper and Ala'alatoa on the bench as injury cover or to finish. It can be risky to have players returning after long injury spells to sit as reserves because they might not have the gas to see out a game if the starter goes off early. In any case, they are the biggest we've got in the props spots so get them on early to impose themselves.

Similarly, Uelese if he plays should start for his physicality and preferably Feassler on the bench as the next most aggressive hooker.

By this reasoning, Skelton would also start with Frost and Richie Arnold to come off the bench. The backrow I'd then like to see would be Holloway at 6, Leota at 7 and Valetini at 8. The idea would be to use the size and aggression available to apply as much pressure as possible at the breakdown and hopefully win turnover ball in the process, or cause the opposition to stuff up. A pilfering No 7 just doesn't have that influence in the modern game. Pete Samu on the bench to cover all spots in the backrow.

The backline almost selects itself.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I guess there are a couple of different ways you can try to beat the Boks. You can take them on up front and first absorb their brute force, then push back; or you can play an up tempo game, ball in constant motion, hitting angles and holes in the defence. The latter is the more traditional Wallaby game, but I'm not convinced that's what EJ (Eddie Jones) will do. I reckon he'll look at the available cattle, such as Skelton, Holloway, Valetini, TT et al and want to take them on up the middle.

God I'd love to see it work, because there's nothing better than taking on a physical pack and beating them at their own game. I think we can do it with the right game plan too.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
God I'd love to see it work, because there's nothing better than taking on a physical pack and beating them at their own game. I think we can do it with the right game plan too.
I reckon we will have a couple of advantages: a new coach with a lot to prove, and a squad with fair bit of time together.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I guess we'll have to know if both of the starting props are really good to go. I don't want to cook them for the RWC and thus seriously dent our chances.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's been suggested, on this very thread I think, that Eddie might be looking to fight fire with fire by selecting his biggest and most aggressive side against the Saffas.

I would assume, with both Bell and Tupou on the plane, they will both be in the selection mix. If that is the case I hope he starts with the two of them and have Slipper and Ala'alatoa on the bench as injury cover or to finish. It can be risky to have players returning after long injury spells to sit as reserves because they might not have the gas to see out a game if the starter goes off early. In any case, they are the biggest we've got in the props spots so get them on early to impose themselves.

Similarly, Uelese if he plays should start for his physicality and preferably Feassler on the bench as the next most aggressive hooker.

By this reasoning, Skelton would also start with Frost and Richie Arnold to come off the bench. The backrow I'd then like to see would be Holloway at 6, Leota at 7 and Valetini at 8. The idea would be to use the size and aggression available to apply as much pressure as possible at the breakdown and hopefully win turnover ball in the process, or cause the opposition to stuff up. A pilfering No 7 just doesn't have that influence in the modern game. Pete Samu on the bench to cover all spots in the backrow.

The backline almost selects itself.

The only issue (if indeed it is) is neither co-captain starting. I'm liking that pack all the same, BR.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I guess there are a couple of different ways you can try to beat the Boks. You can take them on up front and first absorb their brute force, then push back; or you can play an up tempo game, ball in constant motion, hitting angles and holes in the defence. The latter is the more traditional Wallaby game, but I'm not convinced that's what EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) will do. I reckon he'll look at the available cattle, such as Skelton, Holloway, Valetini, TT et al and want to take them on up the middle.

I'm hoping it isn't an either/or scenario and IMO the Boks get sucked into playing 10 man rugby when they'd be far better moving the ball more often, like Ireland.

Hopefully Eddie can figure a way to make progress in tight and kick more than under Rennie, but also utilize Quade/Kerevi/Koriobete/Kellaway/Wright in the running game.

Again Ireland I think are currently the best at doing both simulaltaneously and using some of their forwards in wider channels.

Australia should have the talent to do both.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Pete Samu would probably be the only one

That's what I'm saying. We all saw the potential of what he could do on a field at times but he seemed not prepared by the Tahs and Rebels for the rigors. Unfortunately some people have their reputation made and I think he's probably one of them unless he signs back in Aus and shows it.

Can't think of too many players that have left Aus not being a genuine Wallaby starter and have then been picked from OS in agreeance they are now up to it.
Porecki, Kellaway, Nick Frost. Did Fardy also have time overseas to enhance his reputation? From memory, Ben Alexander also went os and came back to Super Rugby and Wallaby level.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Porecki, Kellaway, Nick Frost. Did Fardy also have time overseas to enhance his reputation? From memory, Ben Alexander also went os and came back to Super Rugby and Wallaby level.
Good players but we didn’t pick them for the Wallabies as overseas players. They signed to Australian teams and then got picked.

Of those guys Kellaway IMO got the most out of development OS. Frost has developed in Aus/Brumbies really. Sure he spent a couple years in NZ out of school but he wasn’t playing Super Rugby.

Are you talking about Fardy in Japan pre Brumbies or time with Leinster post Wallabies?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He left as a good player and came back as a shit one.

I know like those in the list above he didn’t get selected from overseas, but the bloke who has come back as a far better player compared to when he left is Lalakai Foketi.
Did he improve overseas though? Or did he kick on a few seasons after returning?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Did he improve overseas though? Or did he kick on a few seasons after returning?
Definitely improved overseas. I think he was playing for the rebels before he left. Came back to the Tahs after 4-5 years overseas, maybe a year or two later selected for Wallabies.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Definitely improved overseas. I think he was playing for the rebels before he left. Came back to the Tahs after 4-5 years overseas, maybe a year or two later selected for Wallabies.
Was he really that much closer to the wallabies in his first season back compared to his last before he left? For mine he didn't kick on until a season or two after his return. I'm sure time away helped him improve in the long run, but I don't think he was coming back a significantly improved player.

Scott Fardy and Andrew Kellaway are much better examples of guys who returned better than they left, rather than just getting better after returning.

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hooper was made captain by McKenzie, not Cheika, when Moore was injured. He was then retained by Cheika, Rennie and now Jones. He was also co-captain of the Aus 20's, captained the Tahs under Gibson, after which he advised Penney he no longer wanted to captain the Tahs, and even then GC made him acting captain when Gordon was injured. It's a pity all these people know so much less than the contributors to GAGR!
Incidentally, if I had to name the best Wallaby captain I've seen in my time it would be Nick Farr-Jones
Nah, it's clearly John Eales.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm hoping it isn't an either/or scenario and IMO the Boks get sucked into playing 10 man rugby when they'd be far better moving the ball more often, like Ireland.

Hopefully Eddie can figure a way to make progress in tight and kick more than under Rennie, but also utilize Quade/Kerevi/Koriobete/Kellaway/Wright in the running game.

Again Ireland I think are currently the best at doing both simulaltaneously and using some of their forwards in wider channels.

Australia should have the talent to do both.
No doubt. Taking them on up front doesn’t mean we can’t go wide or play the angles. In a lot of ways you can wrong foot their big pigs by doing exactly that.