• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Next week against Argentina I'd like to see:

1 - Slipper
2 - Porecki
3 - AAA
4 - Frost
5 - Arnold
6 - Holloway
7 - Hooper
8 - Valentini
9 - White
10 - Cooper
11 - Korobiete
12 - Kerevi
13 - Ikitau
14 - Kellaway
15 - Wright
16 - Faesslar
17 - Bell
18 - Topou
19 - Skelton
20 - Gleeson
21 - Lonergan
22 - Gordon
23 - Petaia

Got some fire power on the bench, i like it. Bring them on with 30 to go.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Well that to say was just a little bit dissapointing

for next week hopefully Bell, tupou are fit and also petaia and kellaway

need Bell and Topou on the bench
Porecki is the best out of f all
Skelton - still keen to see him play these so called big games for the wallabies
Tom hooper has a tough game, not surprised to see him dropped but wouldn’t mind him get another chance / Holloway and Leota will be gunning for the 6
I would love to see Wilson and valetini at 6 and 8

on the backs Kerevi needs to start
Suli played himself out of contention
Kellaway and petaia back then hodge and Suli go, if their not Marky N at 14 and hodge on bench

tbh although the springbok is were missing a few I think that’s the best they have played for a while, their best 23 would not have played any better, and they actually used the ball and used their backs compared to the past where they relied on others making mistakes and box kicking

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)

1 - Slipper
2 - Porecki
3 - AAA
4 - Frost
5 - Arnold
6 - Holloway
7 - Hooper
8 - Valentini
9 - White
10 - Cooper
11 - Korobiete
12 - Kerevi
13 - Ikitau
14 - Kellaway
15 - Wright
16 - Faesslar
17 - Bell
18 - Topou
19 - Skelton
20 - Gleeson
21 - Lonergan
22 - Gordon
23 - Petaia
I like it but would keep Tate at 21

Reactions: Ged

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bring the big boy props back via the bench IF fit, please oh god don’t rush them. I would much rather get smashed by Argentina at home than see them sustain long term injuries.
Another controversial opinion which will probably go down like a lead balloon - JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) at 12 for next week. Hodge offered nothing, and Kerevi was ineffectual. If Gordon gets a start at 10, it might not be a bad thing to have an experienced (and in-form) head next to him. He was damn good at 12 for the Reds this season, particularly when outside Lynagh.
this is controversial and an equally shit take. Kerevi is one of our two world class players, give him time. He looked a bit slow out there but he’s barely played any rugby, we need him for the RWC.

I would swap Richie and Frost. Bring a big boy if available on at 6 like Holloway, Leota or Gleeson. Tempted to start Faessler or bring him off the bench with 30 to go. We need to find a proper 2 quickly.

Kerevi starts, Kellaway start if he’s fit over Wright, drop Vuni for Nawaqanitawase.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

1 - Slipper
2 - Porecki
3 - AAA
4 - Frost
5 - Arnold
6 - Holloway
7 - Hooper
8 - Valentini
9 - White
10 - Cooper
11 - Korobiete
12 - Kerevi
13 - Ikitau
14 - Kellaway
15 - Wright
16 - Faesslar
17 - Bell
18 - Topou
19 - Skelton
20 - Gleeson
21 - Lonergan
22 - Gordon
23 - Petaia
why drop Tate for Gordon?

Have people forgotten all the stupid cynical penalties that Gordon gave away playing test rugby last year?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
this is controversial and an equally shit take. Kerevi is one of our two world class players, give him time. He looked a bit slow out there but he’s barely played any rugby, we need him for the RWC.
Yeah, after a sleep, I agree. My main point is that if we want a playmaking 12 who isn’t Kerevi, or even a utility bench, I think JOC (James O'Connor) needs to come into the fray over Hodge.

Digestif Palu

Stan Wickham (3)
This isn't going to happen but I think some hard calls need to be made with experienced players in particular. We potentially have the players to have a more dominant forward pack but for so long have been less than the sum of our parts in this area. Slipper and AAA have rarely been on par let alone dominated in the scrum at this level or to be honest around the park. Even with Skelton behind them I really doubt they are going to win in the scrum. Not sure any of the props can but I think Slipper at least is the worst scrumming option at loosehead. I think Fez is worth a shot too, probably the form hooker for Aus in super rugby.

M Hooper is clearly past it unfortunately. I've been a big fan but go back and watch some of his early games against the Springboks, dominating the collisions, sprinting everywhere and effective in attack. He has none of what made him a great player now. Nothing on him, it happens but the call to make Slipper and him captains was terrible. Neither should be in the team. McReight is an option for some games but if we are starting Skelton maybe Kemeny is worth a shot here? He is fast, tackles hard and is a jumper. Gleeson is more dynamic but not as good in the lineout. We are the only country obsessed with a pilfering 7, time to let it go.

Valetini is good even on his bad days but I do wish he'd focus on keeping his feet and driving in contact. Going for the bump in space never works for him, tackles himself really. There are good options at 6 with Holloway, Loeta and T Hooper. I'd be happy with any of them. Holloway is probably the most rounded but Leota does seem to have a bit of mongrel which we desperatley need. Too early to say with T Hooper but if you have him on the bench with Frost starting there is genuine 2nd row and 6 cover.

Side note, in terms of tight carries we are just terrible at running on to the ball. SA are fantastic at it, coming around the corner at pace, hitting contact low and driving the legs. With support. We walk it up with one player, go in high with no support and wonder why we get driven back. Halfback plays a part in this combination too.

1. Gibbon or Bell if fit
2. Fez (c)
3. Tupou if fit or AAA
4. Skelton
5. Frost
6. Leota
7. Kemeny or Gleeson if fit
8. Valetini

16. Uelese
17. Gibbon/Bell
18. Tupou/AAA
19. M Hooper
20. Gleeson/Kemeny

As for the backs, less my area but same thinking applies. White is overrated though not terrible but Tate has been so good for our attack every game he's played. Gordon did all he could in limited time. Hodge is not a threat with the ball anywhere except at 10 and offers very little outside of that. Unfortunately his ship has sailed on the position front though. I wish I had stats for his kick % at this level but it would be absolutely shocking, how does that not get picked up by coaches?! Like sure he can kick 60m but he never gets any so it's a uselful as having Skelton in the team for long range kicks. Absolutely mindless. Petaia comes in for Wright, Kellaway or Nawaqanitawase for Vunivalu who has to be the worst selection of all time. Foketi has to be Kerevi's backup, Perese probably 13 backup. Ikitau is hard to crisitise but also not a huge threat.

9. Tate
10. Gordon
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Petaia

21. Lonergan
22. Hodge
23. Kellaway

Feels good popping out my first rant and team list. Overall we looked flat and the tactics were poorly chosen and executed. Same with selections.

Give Fez the captaincy, it doesn't really matter so long as he doesn't go for 66m penalties.

At least if we lose to Argentina we'll do it with the most gloriously mulleted 9/10 combo of all time.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

1 - Slipper
2 - Porecki
3 - AAA
4 - Frost
5 - Arnold
6 - Holloway
7 - Hooper
8 - Valentini
9 - White
10 - Cooper
11 - Korobiete
12 - Kerevi
13 - Ikitau
14 - Kellaway
15 - Wright
16 - Faesslar
17 - Bell
18 - Topou
19 - Skelton
20 - Gleeson
21 - Lonergan
22 - Gordon
23 - Petaia
Jeez! Mate didn't you watch the game at all? M. Hooper ineffectual. Wright poor positionally and that front row was totally dominated.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Hodge too
If we run a 6-2 bench we need utility. Hodge covers 10-15. In my opinion JOC (James O'Connor) isn’t quick enough anymore to play anything but 10-12, but he kicks goals. Petaia has a lot more flexibility as he can cover 13-15 (12 at a pinch?), has been injury prone in the past, which wasn’t as much of a problem this season, but he doesn’t kick goals. To me Carter Gordon is pretty much a 10, we could play him at 12/15, but I would rather him at 10. Jock Campbell can play wing, but is a fullback. A more flexible back 3 could help, Koro and Suli didn’t give us options to reconfigure the backline, a fit Kellaway would help instead of Suli. So to me Hodge, for his weaknesses, or Petaia would be my 23 in a 6-2 bench. But it is a juggle.
Edit: or Gordon eased into it from bench, Kellaway on wing and shuffle backline accordingly. And I guess Lonergan as reserve half as he kicks goals.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This isn't going to happen but I think some hard calls need to be made with experienced players in particular. We potentially have the players to have a more dominant forward pack but for so long have been less than the sum of our parts in this area. Slipper and AAA have rarely been on par let alone dominated in the scrum at this level or to be honest around the park. Even with Skelton behind them I really doubt they are going to win in the scrum. Not sure any of the props can but I think Slipper at least is the worst scrumming option at loosehead. I think Fez is worth a shot too, probably the form hooker for Aus in super rugby.

M Hooper is clearly passed it unfortunately. I've been a big fan but go back and watch some of his early games against the Springboks, dominating the collisions, sprinting everywhere and effective in attack. He has none of what made him a great player now. Nothing on him, it happens but the call to make Slipper and him captains was terrible. Neither should be in the team. McReight is an option for some games but if we are starting Skelton maybe Kemeny is worth a shot here? He is fast, tackles hard and is a jumper. Gleeson is more dynamic but not as good in the lineout. We are the only country obsessed with a pilfering 7, time to let it go.

Valetini is good even on his bad days but I do wish he'd focus on keeping his feet and driving in contact. Going for the bump in space never works for him, tackles himself really. There are good options at 6 with Holloway, Loeta and T Hooper. I'd be happy with any of them. Holloway is probably the most rounded but Leota does seem to have a bit of mongrel which we desperatley need. Too early to say with T Hooper but if you have him on the bench with Frost starting there is genuine 2nd row and 6 cover.

Side note, in terms of tight carries we are just terrible at running on to the ball. SA are fantastic at it, coming around the corner at pace, hitting contact low and driving the legs. With support. We walk it up with one player, go in high with no support and wonder why we get driven back. Halfback plays a part in this combination too.

1. Gibbon or Bell if fit
2. Fez (c)
3. Tupou if fit or AAA
4. Skelton
5. Frost
6. Leota
7. Kemeny or Gleeson if fit
8. Valetini

16. Uelese
17. Gibbon/Bell
18. Tupou/AAA
19. M Hooper
20. Gleeson/Kemeny

As for the backs, less my area but same thinking applies. White is overrated though not terrible but Tate has been so good for our attack every game he's played. Gordon did all he could in limited time. Hodge is not a threat with the ball anywhere except at 10 and offers very little outside of that. Unfortunately his ship has sailed on the position front though. I wish I had stats for his kick % at this level but it would be absolutely shocking, how does that not get picked up by coaches?! Like sure he can kick 60m but he never gets any so it's a uselful as having Skelton in the team for long range kicks. Absolutely mindless. Petaia comes in for Wright, Kellaway or Nawaqanitawase for Vunivalu who has to be the worst selection of all time. Foketi has to be Kerevi's backup, Perese probably 13 backup. Ikitau is hard to crisitise but also not a huge threat.

9. Tate
10. Gordon
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Petaia

21. Lonergan
22. Hodge
23. Kellaway

Feels good popping out my first rant and team list. Overall we looked flat and the tactics were poorly chosen and executed. Same with selections.

Give Fez the captaincy, it doesn't really matter so long as he doesn't go for 66m penalties.

At least if we lose to Argentina we'll do it with the most gloriously mulleted 9/10 combo of all time.
I assume Fez is Faessler? No problems with giving him a crack next week but anointing him as captain before he has even made his debut is a bit premature.

Good post otherwise.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
hard calls for Eddie to make, the Argentina game and AusA v Tonga are the only two now for any tampering, after that the best 23 (injuries permitting) has to play every game. last night proved once again, rugby matches are won in the forwards, the margin determined by the backs (and the opposition defence). personally i dont think we have the cattle to play either a "non-possession" or a "possession" game, for the former you obviously need a pack that wins all its own ball comfortably and good first up tacklers who chase well; for the latter, appropriate skills and good option taking, with few exceptions the current Wallabies have neither set of attributes. very little to feel cheery about after yesterday, no miracles from Mr Jones i feel.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
They'll keep Slipper, but AAAA struggled greatly. Uelese proved again that he should be unselectable until his set piece proficiency becomes satisfactory. The locks will be kept together as a group, but Arnold needs minutes. Tom Hooper is one for the future but it's too early for him for the moment. Vunivalu had pulled up lame by 55 mins.

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. AAAA
4. Arnold
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper (big game or he could easily fade out)
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia if fit, Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) if not
15. Wright
16. Faessler
17. Bell (would love to see build minutes to eventually be ready to start)
18. Tupou (as above)
19. Frost
20. Samu (though I'm going to be happy enough if they end up playing him at 7 and give Leota the bench spot).
21. Tate
22. Gordon
23. Hodge (mainly because he covers 10-15 but if Petaia is genuinely considered cover for the midfield then you could take Kellaway).

Kellaway would be first cab off the rank to cover 11 or 15

The boys are just going to have to get better.

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
Slipper
Porecki
AAA
Frost
Arnold
Holloway (or T Hooper gets a second chance if not injured?)
McReight
Valetini
White
Cooper
Koroibete
Kerevi
Ikitau
Petaia
Kellaway

Faessler
Bell
Tupou
Skelton
Samu
McDermott
Gordon
Nawa

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
The Aus A game is going to be interesting
Certainly if a few key guys put their hands up they may push thenselves back to the main squad
Fainga'a
Lonergan
Faamausili
Talakai
Neville
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Wilson
Foley
O Conner

eddie in a week has gone from a messiah to under pressure, although interesting to see if and how he can fix issues weekly unlike Rennie who could not fix issues week per week which built up

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
By no means do I think the season/RWC is a write off from one result but to some extent it looks like the writing is on the wall.

Through a combination of injuries (let’s call them unavoidable; arguable) and the constant changing of international eligibility (Japan players only in TRC, Euro players only in Spring) we are seeing a team that has essentially wasted ~30 games since the last WC

They now have 4-5 to magically gel which is impossible. The best teams are those with strong cohesion especially in the technical roles; 9-10 axis and 2-4-5 especially. And have been honing that for 3.5 years. Australia has massive question marks over multiple key positions; again...

It feels a bit inevitable that Australia are going to be dispatched by teams who have that consistency with an occasional flukey result.

At test level the margins between the players are small. Swapping Wright for Kelleway or Petaia or Mark and Porecki for Lonergan or Fainga'a or Faessler is not going to yield a massive change in results.

RA have as a collective mishandled this WC cycle and the blame has to be shared. At this stage it feels like crossing fingers and hope which rarely works at this level.

I find it highly unlikely that Tupou and Bell are going to be Supermen that save the team.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't know if anyone else has noticed and I may be completely wrong but seems like M Hooper has been playing with some sort of injury this year. I've noticed him clutching at his arm multiple times this year when playing for the Tahs (e.g. a few times in the Moana game) and even last night v the Boks where he goes to make a tackle, bounces off and holds his arm as if his shoulder is dislocated or something (could just be stingers, who knows?). General consensus is he's not as effective as he once was and why continue to play him if he's not 100 and there are better options (McReight, Samu, Gleeson) - of course not to take away from his effort and what he's done for the jersey but if it's time, then it's time.