• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
classic coach ploy take all the heat yourself take the pressure and spotlight off the plying group Wayne Bennnet anyone?
I not sure that Eddie is going a bit far with it now. I must admit I always liked how Eddie could use the press, now he almost becoming a joke, and when he comes out with things he will struggle to get result he hopes. The only trouble with getting stuck into journos as often as he does, he will risk losing the positive press he really should be trying to get, and worse still noone will bother coming to his press conferences.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Quade Cooper is not in the team, nor is the former assistant coach

so no, those questions aren’t hanging over THIS team
IMG_4245.gif

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Haha sure you do. You might just have to not slag off Edward Jones 24/7 if they do well so be careful what you wish for
I’d love the wallabies to win
Just haven’t seen one Win yes this year
There is a chance we can win RWC and a chance we won’t! Same for any team
I’d never say we will or won’t as there is a chance
But Eddie will

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Eddie is circling the wagons without a doubt. He’s playing Bazball with the media. Attacking without context.

He’s loving it.
Yeah by the end it did seem like he was just taking the piss; say outrageous things, make some headlines, have a laugh about it and maybe win some footy.

I mean under Rennie we wernt winning any footy and also wernt making headlines...

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Eddie is circling the wagons without a doubt. He’s playing Bazball with the media. Attacking without context.

He’s loving it.
Yes he has got some great “moral” victories along the way so far this season as well
Maybe his self entitlement and arrogance doesn’t quite rub off on Australians compared to the poms

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah by the end it did seem like he was just taking the piss; say outrageous things, make some headlines, have a laugh about it and maybe win some footy.

I mean under Rennie we wernt winning any footy and also wernt making headlines...
Anecdotal stuff here...

I've got a league loving mate, loves to text me digs about rugby all the time. During the Rennie tenure he didn't text me anything after matches, he never knew the Wallabies matches were even on or even upcoming, he would've loved to sink the boot in but he just never got reminded about them in the media.

Since Eddie's return the amount of times he's texted me something along the lines of "wtf is Eddie doing??", "is Eddie for real?", "Will Skelton captain I see, who is that?", "Fuck we must be 10th in the world now we fucking suck what a joke", "didn't know Quade was still playing, where's Hooper?", "who the fuck is Carter Gordon and why is he our 10??"

It's always negative but at least there's a media presence (any press is good press?)

Look at the Matildas, he'll be the first on the bandwagon if they start winning - maybe.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
That was a very weird way for a coach leaving for the World Cup to behave. I feel for the players because Eddie seems to want the whole country to cheer against them.
Agree - he's made his bed...

The aggro and poor handling of players who didn't make the teams as well as his attack coach leaving just before the flight - all not goods signs and I don't think "any news is good news" is the correct approach - but he has a long history of antagonizing the press anyway. He could learn a lot from the Matildas, that's for sure

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
That was a very weird way for a coach leaving for the World Cup to behave. I feel for the players because Eddie seems to want the whole country to cheer against them.
Does he, or is he sick of every Journalist in this country being nothing but negative ever since the naming and not bothering to highlight any of the players actually picked in the squad

A guy like Issak Fines- Leleiwasa should be promoted positively for achieving what he has, but they are all too busy whinging about Jed Holloway not making the team

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
but they are all too busy whinging about Jed Holloway not making the team
They're actually not which is part of the problem, none of them ever actually have anything insightful to ask Eddie, it's always just a focus on the high profile players' absence. I don't care about Hooper or Quade missing for the millionth time - I want to know why Holloway didn't make it, why didn't Gleeson get a single minute in TRC, why did Schoupp make it over Gibbon etc. These are questions that don't create headlines but a proper rugby journalist would actually ask. So yeah fuck 'em. They're the ones goading Eddie for a headline.