• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Anecdotal stuff here...

I've got a league loving mate, loves to text me digs about rugby all the time. During the Rennie tenure he didn't text me anything after matches, he never knew the Wallabies matches were even on or even upcoming, he would've loved to sink the boot in but he just never got reminded about them in the media.

Since Eddie's return the amount of times he's texted me something along the lines of "wtf is Eddie doing??", "is Eddie for real?", "Will Skelton captain I see, who is that?", "Fuck we must be 10th in the world now we fucking suck what a joke", "didn't know Quade was still playing, where's Hooper?", "who the fuck is Carter Gordon and why is he our 10??"

It's always negative but at least there's a media presence (any press is good press?)

Look at the Matildas, he'll be the first on the bandwagon if they start winning - maybe.
Certainly not an isolated case.

I havent had to answer so many questions about Rugby in forever. Even though we have lost 4 on the trot, people know the world cup is coming up and want to know how we will go. That is positive in my eyes.

Last edited:

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Memory of a goldfish I assume? When Sam Kerr was injured the coach acted worse than Eddie about her status.
Not sure I follow - I thought he was just being cagey with giving out info on her calf injury - doesn't compare in any way, shape, or form to how Eddie has carried on...

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)
I not sure that Eddie is going a bit far with it now. I must admit I always liked how Eddie could use the press, now he almost becoming a joke, and when he comes out with things he will struggle to get result he hopes. The only trouble with getting stuck into journos as often as he does, he will risk losing the positive press he really should be trying to get, and worse still noone will bother coming to his press conferences.
Eddie Jones is the circuit breaker that Australian Rugby needs.

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)
They're actually not which is part of the problem, none of them ever actually have anything insightful to ask Eddie, it's always just a focus on the high profile players' absence. I don't care about Hooper or Quade missing for the millionth time - I want to know why Holloway didn't make it, why didn't Gleeson get a single minute in TRC, why did Schoupp make it over Gibbon etc. These are questions that don't create headlines but a proper rugby journalist would actually ask. So yeah fuck 'em. They're the ones goading Eddie for a headline.
As custodians, we need to get on board and look to the future.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
How many sports subscriptions you paying for?
3; Stan for Rugby and Champions League, Optus for EPL and Kayo for the F1.

Apple or Amazon really need to buy the football as Optus has done SFA with the rights other than to shovel ads in my face.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
That was a very weird way for a coach leaving for the World Cup to behave. I feel for the players because Eddie seems to want the whole country to cheer against them.
You can cut it another way. Why didn't they ask him why he picked particular players, why didn't they press him on what did Matt Fassler show in his brief stint that Folau Fainga hasn't shown.

The questions the press ask are always the same and one begins to wonder whether there's any merit in News Corp farming their reporting to the AI to write.

Edit, since writing this I read an article in the athletic which sums the poor journalism in our sport;

Premier League managers are becoming more expressive in their press conferences, and this is helped by the media asking the right questions. Obviously, they won’t share information that could be used by future opponents, but basic details about the approach, the positioning of the players or where the game was won or lost are being provided more frequently.

The particulars shared by the managers are never complex. Actually, part of their job is to translate complex ideas to their players in a simple way. Therefore, they are the most suited people to provide tactical information to a wider audience, and this information isn’t “complicating the game” for the fans — it’s just adding another layer that can help them enjoy the spectacle.
But let's keep asking how Quade feels. I'm sure it'll be different if we ask a few more times.

Last edited:

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)
You can cut it another way. Why didn't they ask him why he picked particular players, why didn't they press him on what did Matt Fassler show in his brief stint that Folau Fainga hasn't shown.

The questions the press ask are always the same and one begins to wonder whether there's any merit in News Corp farming their reporting to the AI to write.
I think this was Eddie’s frustration, he wanted to talk up the young blokes in the locker room and positively talk up the game and his vision.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The only trouble with getting stuck into journos as often as he does, he will risk losing the positive press he really should be trying to get, and worse still no one will bother coming to his press conferences.

Nah, thats not how the media works. If he keeps carrying on and saying shit that generates headlines then the editors will keep sending their journos and more. They love this shit.

At the same time journos ask stupid and controversial questions because they want a reaction and a headline rather than the old generic cliches that get rolled out these days.

what pisses journos off is when a press conference is called, and then they make no announcement and refuse to answer questions ala Mark Robinson earlier this year.

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Go and watch it again.
I did watch. The first 5 minutes are asking about the former coach, asking again about the former coach, asking about Quade Cooper, asking about Michael Hooper, asking again about Quade Cooper, asking about the Australian A squad, asking if the Australian A players have a chance to make the World Cup squad that was named a week ago.

Utter disrespect to the 33 players that are just about to leave to represent this country at a World Cup

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)
I did watch. The first 5 minutes are asking about the former coach, asking again about the former coach, asking about Quade Cooper, asking about Michael Hooper, asking again about Quade Cooper, asking about the Australian A squad, asking if the Australian A players have a chance to make the World Cup squad that was named a week ago.

Utter disrespect to the 33 players that are just about to leave to represent this country at a World Cup
Exactly. What’s that old saying about the definition of insanity…
This is a proper Australian side who will play in France with no fear.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Newsflash- because apart the 12 losers on this forum, no one cares about whether Matt Faessler made the squad or not. What questions do you think his editor is encouraging him to ask?

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)

Is Eddie to entitled to be above these questions? He is the coach, if he answered before they got on the plane he would have not of been asked again, now when he gets off the place and through RWC he will be asked each time until he comes up with an answer
It’s pretty sad day for Aus rugby is we are parading about people talking about the game because the coach comes out with statements or doesn’t with no substance
No one cares about the wallabies they just want to stir Eddie
Win win for me if the wallabies win I’m happy, if they loose watch the whole country Torch our man jones

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is Eddie to entitled to be above these questions? He is the coach, if he answered before they got on the plane he would have not of been asked again, now when he gets off the place and through RWC he will be asked each time until he comes up with an answer
It’s pretty sad day for Aus rugby is we are parading about people talking about the game because the coach comes out with statements or doesn’t with no substance
No one cares about the wallabies they just want to stir Eddie
Win win for me if the wallabies win I’m happy, if they loose watch the whole country Torch our man jones
I think he's entitled to want to talk about the current team and their chances. The fact some players were left out were discussed last week at the announcement - surely those questions should have been asked then.