• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
2025-27 might be too soon but Cheika will 100% coach the Wallabies again
Good or bad thing?
I think on GAGR T Hooper is an uncontroversial pick in the match day squad (not necessarily the RWC squad) on here because of Skelton: running big Will and a non-jumping Openside means that you need a genuine Lineout operator at 6: other than shifting Frost or Philip there Hooper is the only option, as he other players who could maybe fill this role (Holloway, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hanigan, Swinton) are all not in frame to play.

A more conventional lock duo would have certainly opened up other options.
I feel like Swinton and Holloway offer a lot more around the park.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
2025-27 might be too soon but Cheika will 100% coach the Wallabies again
IMG_8886.jpeg

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thing the big what if (that can never be answered) is what if we kept Rennie and lost to Fiji (remember he did coach us to our first ever loss to Italy) with the older players didn't bloody the new blokes? Where would that have us now?

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Cheika would be peak though...

I sincerely doubt Eddie goes even if we lose v Wales, simply because of the financial implications. Can't imagine it makes us very appealing to potential Private Equity partners if we're constantly chopping and changing coaches with big payoffs either. So if there is movement on that front, I suspect it may be at least a little while.

I also think it would be *beyond* madness to get rid of Eddie unless a top level candidate was on the market e.g. Andy Farrell, Scott Robertson tier coach. And there just aren't many of those going round unfortunately.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I thing the big what if (that can never be answered) is what if we kept Rennie and lost to Fiji (remember he did coach us to our first ever loss to Italy) with the older players didn't bloody the new blokes? Where would that have us now?
The exact same place IMO. I don't think Carter Gordon is any further ahead now than he was 2 months ago. Same for Tom Hooper.

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
I can't find a team list for the Wild Knights but from the highlights it looks like basically none of their best players were playing.

The Reds didn't have their best side either but the players the Wild Knights were missing are genuine top tier international players like Lood de Jager, Damien de Allende, Marika Koroibete etc.

The standard of the top Japanese sides is very good.
I’ve watched a few games live. It’s the equivalent of NRC level with some superstars thrown in.

The craziest thing is the crowd sits in silence until points are scored. The wild Knights actually have a pre game DJ that has everyone dancing then the whistle goes and no one moves.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Jones is an emblem of the clean out that mclennan thinks he is doing or at least claims he is doing. Losing Cooper and Hooper was likely as much about move-forward symbolism as it was about having a 'young squad'.

Even if they lose to Portugal, he isn't going anywhere unless it's of his own volition on account of him not getting the media and fan BJs that he perhaps thought he would get. Even then, 5m (or whatever) is a lot of money to the guy that already flamed out of the other big money rugby HC job.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure if its been properly discussed yet. But what are thoughts on T. Hooper? He seems to be a divisive selection to people ive talked to irl.

Personally i'd pick about 3 playets above him.

Plus on another note. I get ARU has a lot of structural, cultural and institutional problems. But its only fault in this seemingly fail of a RWC campaign is sacking rennie.

With Rennie as coach. We easillllllyyyyy make it out of the group. The loss to Fiji is squarely on Jones shoulders.

Does anyone here actually think we should stick with Jones for 2025 and 2027? For those believers, do you actually reckon we will improve under him?
Rennie was trash