• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
  1. Feao Fotuaika (Tonga)
  2. Paul Alo-Emile (Samoa) - not really a hooker
  3. Michael Ala'alatoa (Samoa)
  4. Jack Cornelsen (Japan)
  5. Adam Coleman (Tonga)
  6. Ben Gunter (Japan)
  7. Richard Hardwick (Namibia)
  8. Jack Dempsey (Scotland)
  9. ?
  10. Christian Leali'ifano (Samoa)
  11. Mack Hansen (Ireland)
  12. Sione Tuipulotu (Scotland)
  13. Dylan Riley (Japan)
  14. Monty Ioane (Italy)
  15. Duncan Paia'aua (Samoa)
How are some of those guys eligible to play for Japan???

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
This Dylan Pietsch "pack your bags... unpack your bags" thing has me thinking... either:

1) Someone in the Rugby Australia hierarchy has pulled veto and told Jones not to substitute a rookie for a rookie; or,
2) Eddie really has lost his marbles and is at panic stations.

I can't quite deduce which one...
Number 2 I think

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
This Dylan Pietsch "pack your bags... unpack your bags" thing has me thinking... either:

1) Someone in the Rugby Australia hierarchy has pulled veto and told Jones not to substitute a rookie for a rookie; or,

I was pondering on number 1 when I first read it as well. Its likely considering all the negative press this week. Bringing in Foley might look like panic stations but Ikitau would be easily explainable as he is returning from injury, so I reckon he’s been told advised to do that.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was pondering on number 1 when I first read it as well. Its likely considering all the negative press this week. Bringing in Foley might look like panic stations but Ikitau would be easily explainable as he is returning from injury, so I reckon he’s been told advised to do that.
This is exactly what I am thinking. Surely RA need to sign off on any additions to the squad, at it's not beyond reality that someone refused to sign off on Pietsch.

Ikitau has travelled to the UK to be with the BaaBaas.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Honestly I took it as possible bad intel from Christy. I know he's usually spot on but something with the wording + deletion of the original tweet gives me that vibe. Didn't see anyone else go with it either.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Honestly I took it as possible bad intel from Christy. I know he's usually spot on but something with the wording + deletion of the original tweet gives me that vibe. Didn't see anyone else go with it either.
I usually take anything from Doran with a pinch of salt

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It’s been in place for probably 20-odd years now, at least. There is nothing wrong with it.

I think there are 50-odd NZ players at this RWC.
Well except for changing it from 3 years to 5 years recently, so Japan should see a bunch less players from other countries.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This is exactly what I am thinking. Surely Rugby Australia need to sign off on any additions to the squad, at it's not beyond reality that someone refused to sign off on Pietsch.

Ikitau has travelled to the UK to be with the BaaBaas.
could have just been as simple as, they had a plan in place already for if an outside back got injured that it would be Dylan coming in and started that process, but decided that they should change that plan and bring in cover in different positions. And I believe this is more likely then someone in the ARU telling Eddie what to do.. or Eddie making one call then changing his mind.. fs

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
If EJ (Eddie Jones) wants to bring a replacement for Wales, he has less than 24 to do it I think. The replacement has to stand down for 48-hrs which would mean tomorrow morning latest? Is that right?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Good bye Vunivalu, Uelese, Tupou, Skelton, Kerevi, Foketi and Koroibete.
Yep.

These arguments are tiresome within rugby. The fact is the teams without many foreign born players are generally from countries where nobody wants to live or are actively looking to move from. South Africans are some of the best people I have met, apparently the country is beautiful in scenery but it’s also a know dangerous place, limited economic opportunities and has political corruption we could only dream of here in Aus. Hence why there isn’t historically many overseas born players, same for Argentina, Georgia, etc. they aren’t places that scream let’s pack up our family for a better future.

I always thought if the make up of the team is reflective of the percentage of population born overseas then that’s fine. If it’s drastically over then the union is taking the piss, if it’s somewhat on par then it’s reflective of its society.

For the record I hate the grandparents rule. I’d rather people that moved to an area represent it than people that might never have even visited the country they are representing