• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Eddie cannot stay. His selections and the game plan, or lack of one, directly resulted in our less than decent play at this RWC and the lead up to it. Even if in his mind he did have the right game plan, his squad was unable to produce it and he should have been acutely aware of that. He promised the Bled and then he promised the RWC. What a load of rubbish. We were never going to win either this year. Most of us would have been happy with a quarter final, which would reflect more or less where we are(we thought) and ecstatic with a semi against one of the big 4.
We got a 40 point hiding from Wales, a side that has been on our level for the past 10-15 years. They did not even beat Georgia by that much and their domestic situation is much more challenging than ours.
He has to be convinced to walk. There must be some decency somewhere inside him?
With a fresh start and a new coaching team there will be hope. With him retained there will be a further loss of support and our sport will be the laughing stock of all the pro codes in Oz. I have no faith in him or his theories. All English supporters and people in the rugby know there feel the same way. His position is untenable and McLennan has to go too for giving him such a long term contract, especially after what happened in England.
There is no other way.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Could we possibly lose to Portugal, and Georgia win against Fiji?

If Portugal def Aus with matching bonus points, Portugal will finish ahead of Australia in the pool (equal on 6 or 7 competition points, Head 2 Head determines seeding)

Georgia would need to pick up a win and 1 or 2 bonus points across the last two matches to have 7 or 8 points and for you to be on the bottom of the pool.

Permutations for rankings are too difficult to figure, but lets just say a 16+ point win by Portugal puts you in 15th, with 16th placed Tonga well within striking distance, only needing a 16+ win against Romania

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Really funny and annoying hearing casuals with no idea about rugby winging about Hooper and Cooper, i.e. the only 2 wallaby players they know.

Been over this but they wouldn't of helped, we missed the likes of Ikitau, BPA, Rodda, Samu & more
No. Plenty of good rugby people with a fuck-load more knowledge and experience than any of us in not just rugby but RWCs have made the same comments. Drew Mitchell and SBW off the top of my head.

Because they know that RWCs are not just about what happens on the field. It takes leadership and experience as well as talent, skill and performance.

Hooper and Quade have been on the big stages and have felt the weight of expectations and everything that comes with being in that environment. You could see and almost feel the gaping lack of any of that in the 2nd half of yesterday's game.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
No. Plenty of good rugby people with a fuck-load more knowledge and experience than any of us in not just rugby but RWCs have made the same comments. Drew Mitchell and SBW off the top of my head.

Because they know that RWCs are not just about what happens on the field. It takes leadership and experience as well as talent, skill and performance.

Hooper and Quade have been on the big stages and have felt the weight of expectations and everything that comes with being in that environment. You could see and almost feel the gaping lack of any of that in the 2nd half of yesterday's game.
Quade choked massively at his only World Cup and was playing terribly this season. Hooper admitted before the Georgia game he was still rehabbing his calf

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Quade choked massively at his only World Cup and was playing terribly this season. Hooper admitted before the Georgia game he was still rehabbing his calf
As said in the last post

" Because they know that RWCs are not just about what happens on the field. It takes leadership and experience as well as talent, skill and performance"

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
A opposed to never been to a world cup and now choking against Fiji and then Wales in Pool play?

And Hooper says he was 100% by Georgia. Here is the first question from an interview he did with Iain Payten at the start of the month:

IP: Michael, let’s start by asking if you can clarify what exactly happened with your calf injury, and why it was deemed you weren’t fit enough to take the World Cup?

MH: So, start at the World Cup and I will work back. I was going to be right for the first game against Georgia. I would have been 100 per cent fine. Working back from that, I was keen to try and make that French game (on August 27) but obviously not making the squad, there was no point. I am training fully now. I have been doing extensive conditioning stuff.

Try again.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
A opposed to never been to a world cup and now choking against Fiji and then Wales in Pool play?

And Hooper says he was 100% by Georgia. Here is the first question from an interview he did with Iain Payten at the start of the month:

Try again.

Ignore the Troll

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Is there any correlation between the Wallabies becoming worse as a team, and Will Skelton becoming increasingly important? Did we change our playing style to suit Skelton to the detriment of the overall team?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Try again.
He literally said in the broadcast that he wasn’t right. Again how did he go in the game he played this year?

We wouldn’t have gone any better with them.

So what we take Cooper an old out of form has been who is a proven flop at world cups?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He literally said in the broadcast that he wasn’t right. Again how did he go in the game he played this year?

We wouldn’t have gone any better with them.

So what we take Cooper an old out of form has been who is a proven flop at world cups?
So Hooper is a liar.

Cool man.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
The problem with the selections: at least for me, was the complete and utter lack of consistency around selection.

Some Vets got turfed, others didn't.

Some players that were underwhelming on their return from long injury layoffs got to stay. Others didn't.

Some players were carried into the squad despite existing injury, or kept in the squad after injury which would see them miss 2-3 games, while others seemed to be ruled out day dot with similar return to plays.

Bold inclusion calls were made on players who seemed to be part of some thoughtful strategy but then played 0, 1 or 2 games off the bench across the 8 games played year to date.

Inexperienced players under 23 were thrown into starting positions based on raw talent and recent performance, then were asked to play roles or styles largely alien to them.

Even taking into context the broader issues in Australian Rugby, these patterns need to be reflected on and actioned to move forward successfully in the short term for the International set up.

After Portugal the Wallabies have nearly 40 weeks before their next fixture, Super Rugby players have more than 20 till opening round. There's a lot of time to plan reflect and ensure standards and metrics apply.
this exactly- the complete inconsistency and the refusal to explain other than "trust me maate!"