• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
“Already existing evidence” - Oh, you mean the world record 22 consecutive test wins, numerous 6 nations, 2 World Cup finals, beating South Africa with Japan. Yeah he’s a real failure alright

And the worst pool is clearly pool D ffs, Argentina are atrocious and will get to a QB by default
And yet soooo many people could see very early on that Jones wouldn’t go well in this RWC. And it was proven right game by game while people like you were crying

‘But Rennie lost to Italy!’

Rugby people could see not just the obstacles Rennie had to overcome but the way he was trying to build a team to do better than get dumped from the tournament in pool play.

The results speak for themselves and the EJ (Eddie Jones) fan club should really STFU.

Oh…and is this the same atrocious Argentina the Wallabies lost to earlier in the year?

At the start of the year, Australia was ranked 6th, Wales were 9th and Fiji weren’t even Top 10. Yes - Australia has the easiest pool and EJ (Eddie Jones) poor selections and coaching doesn’t change that. Just because the Wallabies couldn’t make it out is more a reflection on themselves than the pool.

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The only leeway (sort of) I will give to Eddie is that with the timing of the appointment there was no decent assistant coaches available at all. So he and RA really failed big time not retaining McKellar and Fisher.

I guess he thought he only needed one and they have similar styles and strengths. But given McKellar jumped ship, why on earth he didn’t bring in Fisher as Forwards or Defensive coach, it just seems like another example of Eddie’s ego in the way, he couldn’t say “sorry to let you go could you come back”.

its crazy to think that League bloke would be a better coach.

If Eddie stays and doesn’t resign I expect a complete overhaul of the assistants, but I fail to see any solid choices available, just like I fail to see who would replace Eddie as head coach. At this point I guess anyone is better but Larkham is no where near ready.

Reactions: dru

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Rugby people could see not just the obstacles Rennie had to overcome but the way he was trying to build a team to do better than get dumped from the tournament in pool play.
Rennie was definitely set up to fail with the 5 tests in 5 weeks schedule. I've been critical of him in the sense that resting for Ireland/France -> not winning either = fail but I wonder how much reflection has been undertaken at RA about player welfare / availability vs. squeezing out every $ every tour. Probably zero.

I still maintain that vs. England in Sydney was the true death warrant game. They just needed to win it.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

Rugby people could see not just the obstacles Rennie had to overcome

The results speak for themselves
Yes I agree, the results do speak for themselves, so stop the revisionist history regarding Rennie. It’s tiresome and intentionally inaccurate

He Failed. Move on

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
It's funny how decline and expectations take a long time to align. Where do people think the Wallabies should fall in terms of wins and losses against the top teams? I'm talking Ireland, NZ, SA, FR, ENG. Based on their player base. 60%? 50%? 38%?

I'd argue 38% is about as good as they can hope for. It isn't 2002 anymore. It also isn't 0%. The Wallabies are about the same as Argentina or Scotland these days. At best.

You need to almost think like if I was Argentina, how would I feel about this result. That's where they are at. Sadly.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yes I agree, the results do speak for themselves, so stop the revisionist history regarding Rennie. It’s tiresome and intentionally inaccurate

He Failed. Move on

For at least the last decade, people with a lot of rugby clout and credentials have been discussing the growing issues within rugby in Australia and warning of the demise. And Rennie had to try and coach through and around that, like all the coaches before him. Many could see what Rennie was trying to do to get the Wallabies in the best shape he could for the 2023 RWC. There is nothing revisionist nor inaccurate in that. Nor did Rennie fail. RA stabbed him in the back before he had the opportunity to finish the job he was hired to do.

The EJ (Eddie Jones) fan boys like yourself are now quick to say 'Move on' in desperate hopes that we forget how good Rennie actually was. Somehow he was able to win games against almost every team EJ (Eddie Jones) lost to as well as pushing the top ranked teams in the world to close results. The failure isn't on Rennie but on the way RA has run rugby and it's you who is revising history by trying to lay that failure at his door.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
“Already existing evidence” - Oh, you mean the world record 22 consecutive test wins, numerous 6 nations, 2 World Cup finals, beating South Africa with Japan. Yeah he’s a real failure alright

And the worst pool is clearly pool D ffs, Argentina are atrocious and will get to a QB by default
Wow how far back are we going in history to find his good points?
wind up to 2023 and Eddie has stuffed up absolutely everything he has touched and made international fans and Australian fans dislike the wallabies with his smug arrogance
- 2 from 9 record (if we beat Portugal)
- only 2 wins v 2nd tier nations
-0 from 7 v any decent nation (is this a new record? )
- 14% win record for 2023 worst in history
- lost every rugby champs game
- was that our first loss to Fiji?
- largest loss to wales
- copped 3 floggings
- and finally again couldn’t make the pool stage for the first time

you made the comment post Fiji game the coach and gameplan doesn’t mean anything it’s the players? And I did mention to you pre RWC I’ll be laughing when we don’t make it out of the pool

and don’t worry Eddie’s plan for now building on the future after how RWC failure he won’t be there to see it

Last edited:

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
And yet soooo many people could see very early on that Jones wouldn’t go well in this RWC. And it was proven right game by game while people like you were crying

The results speak for themselves and the EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) fan club should really STFU.

Oh…and is this the same atrocious Argentina the Wallabies lost to earlier in the year?

At the start of the year, Australia was ranked 6th, Wales were 9th and Fiji weren’t even Top 10. Yes - Australia has the easiest pool and EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) poor selections and coaching doesn’t change that. Just because the Wallabies couldn’t make it out is more a reflection on themselves than the pool.
Yes I think it was Australia 7th, wales 10th and Fiji 12th so was the worst pool I have ever seen
Argentina and England 5th and 6th and Japan 9th so yes I rate that pool better then ours
We would loose by 40 to Argentina atm

Phil Waugh said QF was min requirement and not facing a top 4 side until the semis could have got there at least
Will never get this draw again

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
For at least the last decade, people with a lot of rugby clout and credentials have been discussing the growing issues within rugby in Australia and warning of the demise. And Rennie had to try and coach through and around that, like all the coaches before him. Many could see what Rennie was trying to do to get the Wallabies in the best shape he could for the 2023 RWC. There is nothing revisionist nor inaccurate in that. Nor did Rennie fail. Rugby Australia stabbed him in the back before he had the opportunity to finish the job he was hired to do.

The EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) fan boys like yourself are now quick to say 'Move on' in desperate hopes that we forget how good Rennie actually was. Somehow he was able to win games against almost every team EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) lost to as well as pushing the top ranked teams in the world to close results. The failure isn't on Rennie but on the way Rugby Australia has run rugby and it's you who is revising history by trying to lay that failure at his door.
What a bunch of nonsense

All you are doing is making excuses for Rennie because he is a New Zealander

I’m not a “fanboy”, as I have said numerous times Eddie Jones has been a failure. The fact you can’t even admit Rennie didn’t do a good enough job just shows how biased your take is. Nothing was ever his fault

The funniest part is if Eddie is such a bad coach, shouldn’t Rennie be hauled over the coals for losing a Home test series to an Eddie Jones coached team? Or was that someone else’s fault too?

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
We lost to them by 3 points this year. The world famous CLOSE LOSS

For reference, Dave “he was building” Rennie lost to Argentina by 31 points last season. But I’m sure that wasn’t his fault
Don’t you see the atm? If we played them today that’s how far we have fallen behind with jones
No Rennie wasn’t perfect but I’ll take his 36% record over jones 14% with jones winning no tier 1 teams
You also backed his let’s get rid of every over 30 because “they were used to loosing”
How did that go? If you could not see it was only going to fail carter gorden and Donaldson who are not up to test level clearly compared to taking some experience
I mean who the hell is the captain atm? Wouldn’t have a clue as they have used half the team

the only thing jones will be remembered for is breaking every wrong record, not taking 1500 test caps of experience to a RWC
Falling to our lowest ranking of 10th
What’s next tier 2 status?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Where do people think the Wallabies should fall in terms of wins and losses against the top teams? I'm talking Ireland, NZ, SA, FR, ENG. Based on their player base. 60%? 50%? 38%?
What do you mean by base? Is it Wallabies plus Aus A squads, ... the list of RA-contracted
players, ... registered players aged thirteen to thirty-six?

In other words, how far down the pyramid is the "base"?

The first two of your top teams don't have big player pyramids. They concentrate on systems and coaching to produce results.

Our U20s and U18 sides remain competitive (for now) with NZ and SA. Australia still has enough remnants of a player base to recover ... IF the organisation can get its shit together.

But based on track record, unfortunately, it's a long shot.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm not a fan of either but it's hard to argue that the sensible thing to do would have been to kept Rennie on until after the RWC and then punted him if the results justified it. For the record I said that the day it happened.
True.

I think Rennie himself suggested he wouldn't be looking for another 4 year cycle after the RWC anyway.

Would have been a better handover process, for sure.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
anyways. we are where we are.
who are the replacement options if jones goes? i don't think larkham is a contender. i doubt mckellar is coming back this quickly
unless you can get ronan, i dont know what your options are. i don't see RA going back to Dingo.

I think anyone we hire is going to fail until we fix the systems that continually upscale u16-wallabies
spend money keeping best school boy talent
align all levels of rugby on skills and fitness
etc etc etc
only then will a coach improve the system for more than 1 year.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

The results speak for themselves and the EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) fan club should really STFU.

At the start of the year, Australia was ranked 6th, Wales were 9th and Fiji weren’t even Top 10. Yes - Australia has the easiest pool and EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) poor selections and coaching doesn’t change that. Just because the Wallabies couldn’t make it out is more a reflection on themselves than the pool.
Rennie fucking sucked get over it.

Jones may well prove to be the wrong choice, personally I wouldn’t have picked him but Rennie was a dead man walking

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
for the record, i think they have to keep jones. review his processes and ensure he is able to bring in the right assistants to ensure the above happens at wallabies level plus can devise and implement the right systems in defence, attack and breakdown and set pieces.