• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Who replaces Slipper?

Gibbon? He is still our no.2 LHP and no.3 THP and doesn't look like thats going to change in 2024. At worst he moves to no.3 LHP and no.4 THP behind Schoupp and Pone but I doubt it

5-6 props go in a test squad and he will be there in 2024 and likely 2025 unless a Pearce at WF ends up being another 20ish yr old prodigy like Bell and Tupou.
It's a great question because I'm not really sure who is that much better to also replace the bloke that is Slipper in the squad. I'm just saying I think we are on the downhill and we do actually have a favourable lead up to the Lions with Wales coming to Aus to see if the next group are up to it.

For me Gibbon is ok. Good Super Rugby Prop but not at the next level.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
It's a great question because I'm not really sure who is that much better to also replace the bloke that is Slipper in the squad. I'm just saying I think we are on the downhill and we do actually have a favourable lead up to the Lions with Wales coming to Aus to see if the next group are up to it.

I wouldnt rule JS out yet, if its coming off the bench for Bell

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I wouldnt rule JS out yet, if its coming off the bench for Bell
Think you're right overall. Just being a Wallabies 2024 thread I think they really need to find out who is up to it.

Has been a long year of heavy lifting for Slipper. I'm sure he can't wait for the offseason.

Australia has some very good young props coming up but in reality they are a 2027 prospect and not a 2025. The likes of Barrett, De Lutiis I think will go past the Gibbons, Pone and co. I also really doubt the durability of TT to go for a long time. Can smell short/softer Japanese seasons in his future.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Think you're right overall. Just being a Wallabies 2024 thread I think they really need to find out who is up to it.

Has been a long year of heavy lifting for Slipper. I'm sure he can't wait for the offseason.

Australia has some very good young props coming up but in reality they are a 2027 prospect and not a 2025. The likes of Barrett, De Lutiis I think will go past the Gibbons, Pone and co. I also really doubt the durability of TT to go for a long time. Can smell short/softer Japanese seasons in his future.

Yeah I agree, would love to see Holz & Barrett get a real crack next yr & Bell managed at the Tahs. Similar thing at the Reds with De Lutiis.

Do we have a scrum coach locked in for 2024? Centralisation would be great for things like this 5 SRpac scum coaches all working with the national coach.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Had big hopes for Holz in the past year but he seemed a bit off. The entire Tahs pack was very stop start though. Bell is the most important asset we have in Australian Rugby right now and if he played 70% of games even if fully fit I think it's wise. Or play off the bench every 3rd game.

No idea in terms of coaches. I don't think we will have any of the current assistants at least come Lions tour and wouldn't surprise me to see them all gone by Wales next year. Defence hasn't worked, maul is a mess and Jason Ryles was always a body in a seat with his Storm job starting next year.

Ledesma want the national job as Scrum God?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
2 poor games in a poorly performing team…

he is a world class player who has been one of the Wallabies best in recent seasons and will be a monumental loss, even with the rise of Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) on the other wing.

I agree with you that it's a monumental loss. Koroibete played poorly this year but the loss we are feeling is from a guy who was consistently one of our best players across the last few years and is the reigning John Eales Medalist. We very much felt the loss at the RWC.

The Ironic part is despite all the talk about the young guys, 3 of the most experienced players in the team in White, Kerevi & Koroibete were some of our worst performers

Which is a reasonable part of why the team was so poor. When your team already isn't good the downside of players who are regularly among your best being mediocre is pretty severe.

I certainly wouldn't discard Kerevi yet. It is incredibly common for someone coming back from an ACL to take quite a while to really get their dynamism back. It would be premature to say he's done based on his test play this year.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Koroibete missed the most tackles on the team
How many did he attempt? My guess is most players didn't make it to a position to make the tackle, Donaldson being one obvious one but he wasn't alone, then there were the ones who were 'palmed off' or just chucked out an arm. Tackling is a big weakness.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Slippers will be vital in 2024, and most likely still very valuable in 2025. However from 24 into 25 there may be a chance for guys like Hodgman to get a cap here or there (if he shows he is better then gibbon) and Eloff will be become eligible as Slipper shifts out also. Gives a bit of breathing room to 2027 whereby there may be a youngster like Pearce who has come through as the goods.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
He was our best player last year. Would not be surprised to see him turn out for Fiji in 4 years
I'm not saying he hasn't been really good in the past, but he has been poor this year and is on the wrong side of 30 so it's not unreasonable to think he's past his peak

We seem to get more sentimental about players than other nations

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm not saying he hasn't been really good in the past, but he has been poor this year and is on the wrong side of 30 so it's not unreasonable to think he's past his peak

We seem to get more sentimental about players than other nations
He is a physical beast who has looked lost with what the 2023 Wallabies are attempting to do, like many others.
He will be playing high level rugby for at least another 4 years and probably longer. His official announcement of retiring from test rugby likely means with Australia. If he is still playing at a similar level in 4 years Fiji will come calling.
He has remained one of our first picked players.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
He is a physical beast who has looked lost with what the 2023 Wallabies are attempting to do, like many others.
He will be playing high level rugby for at least another 4 years and probably longer. His official announcement of retiring from test rugby likely means with Australia. If he is still playing at a similar level in 4 years Fiji will come calling.
He has remained one of our first picked players.
He will be 35 years old then

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Might be the unpopular opinion on these forums but I really don't think Kellaway is the fullback option that brings us back to relevance.

Or if he's going to stay there, we need more creativity in the 10/12 space. Can't be going into games with a 10/12/15 who all have a pretty safe skillset and don't really complement each other much.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm with you.

He's the safe option which with the current group is the best option. They tried Wright who can provide the attacking option but his flaws at 15 are too much. Still think Jorgenson will be able to go past anyone in Aus by 2025.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
I'm with you.

He's the safe option which with the current group is the best option. They tried Wright who can provide the attacking option but his flaws at 15 are too much. Still think Jorgenson will be able to go past anyone in Aus by 2025.
He needs to work on his kicking out of hand - which I'm sure will come. Unfortunately, his dominance at a younger age meant he never really had to kick.