• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Still... BPA was a tremendous hooker, his work at the Reds was greatly appreciated. I have wished him all the best to see a "garbo" go to success and then Europe. And we can sure use beefing up our hooker options.

But let's see how he goes.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
I am a massive advocate for keeping players in their regular Super Rugby position when it comes to Wallabies. However having watched Gordon today, and without a stand out 12 currently, I would be tempted to have a look at him playing outside Lolesio in the inside centre position. Second playmaker but also a big body and good defence.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's interesting that we have so many relatively good options at 6 for players with body shapes who would probably attract interest from RL, and we don't have anywhere near the same depth at 4+5

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It's interesting that we have so many relatively good options at 6 for players with body shapes who would probably attract interest from RL, and we don't have anywhere near the same depth at 4+5
Yeah I was thinking something similar. This might be too simplistic but you’d imagine the positions where we don’t compete with RL we would be the best in the world. Props and hookers, but it’s quite the opposite. Locks are actually pretty good, we supply nearly every quality European/japanese club with one starting lock.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah I was thinking something similar. This might be too simplistic but you’d imagine the positions where we don’t compete with RL we would be the best in the world. Props and hookers, but it’s quite the opposite. Locks are actually pretty good, we supply nearly every quality European/japanese club with one starting lock.
I think we do compete for props, it's just that a potential rugby prop is often just a RL second rower willing to maintain 130kg.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The thing is, which overseas players would this now open up to that don’t already qualify?

There’s also the possibility that less money is going to be thrown at Australian players who will now need to be released during the test window.

The way the eligibility rules have evolved over the past decade… I’m not sure if it will make a huge difference now.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The thing is, which overseas players would this now open up to that don’t already qualify?

There’s also the possibility that less money is going to be thrown at Australian players who will now need to be released during the test window.

The way the eligibility rules have evolved over the past decade… I’m not sure if it will make a huge difference now.

Agree it doesn’t change the now picture much but it’s future planning.

I feel we might see a situation soon where RA pay a small top up fee to our top 10-15 overseas players in agreement with their club to ensure they can be selected for all tests.