• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Frost is good when paired with more of a brute type.

Skelton, Frost would be my pick. Holloway at 6 with his jumping especially on Defence. If not starting Holloway can be useful on the bench with his ability to cover 4,5,6,8 Kemeny started the year like a beast but being injured then heading overseas probably means he’ll be skipped.

Don’t play two 8s. Make them work to win the spot. It’s how we’ll build depth and performance through pressure.
Swinton would be my 6, he not only is physically strng in tight, he is also a strong lineout man. If leaving means don't pick, then I'd go with Holloway, but agree that Frost would need a physical lock partner. If not Skelton (not sure if HE has made himself available for the upcoming series), then LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Open slather on overseas picks could blow up in our face badly. Anyone currently out of contract with Rebels would have to be seriously considering offers

Also on subject of props, would assume Tom Robertson is Wallabies eligible this year (before any changes) as only on sabbatical and back to force next year. Would have been in World Cup squad if he didn’t get injured. Issue I guess is whether he is match fit, not sure how many games Oxford play other than the one vs Cambridge

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Swinton would be my 6, he not only is physically strng in tight, he is also a strong lineout man. If leaving means don't pick, then I'd go with Holloway, but agree that Frost would need a physical lock partner. If not Skelton (not sure if HE has made himself available for the upcoming series), then LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).
I’ve always thought Salakaia-Loto could be anything. But he still hasn’t fixed his height info contact. If he fixed that I reckon he’d be devastating.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has been handy for the Rebels this year. To me he is definitely more of a lock than a six though.
I agree he’s been good. I think he is a likely candidate for lock for the Wallabies. But it just seems odd to me for a tight forward with his experience that he is still going in high.

Maybe there is a perfectly good reason and the coaching staff are happy with it - but seems to me he still gets caught a bit too often when you expect him to power through.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Open slather on overseas picks could blow up in our face badly. Anyone currently out of contract with Rebels would have to be seriously considering offers

I’m am sure that is part of the consideration. If the Rebels leave the comp and SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) fundamentally changes over the next few years, there could be a lot of players going off shore.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I wonder if this could be a deliberate pre-cursor to us abandoning Super Rugby in favour of a domestic NPC/Currie Cup style competition. if RA recognise it isn't working, it's better to at least keep the senior players in the game than to defect to the NRL. Then create a proper domestic comp with proper pathways into each team with a focus on retaining the emerging talent while the competition builds momentum. It wouldn't be a stupid strategy as long as it's done right.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think you are reading far too much into what's being done to make sure we are as competitive as possible leading into and then against the Lions next year.

A 0-3 rout would be just about lights out, but winning nothing before that series would be just about as bad

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think you are reading far too much into what's being done to make sure we are as competitive as possible leading into and then against the Lions next year.

A 0-3 rout would be just about lights out, but winning nothing before that series would be just about as bad
Yes but as others have said there aren't all that many foreign based players who would realistically be in contention for the Wallabies this year. There are a few beyond the 3 already covered by the current restrictions that would be worthwhile squad additions but that's about it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it's a bit of column A and bit of column B.

We are nearing a decision about the Rebels which could change the face of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) going forward. RA are being proactive in reading the room that SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) may not be continuing in this format after the current agreement (which will need to be re-worked anyway for 2025 potentially).

I've said before a few things in the Rebels thread that I know a lot of players already have overseas deals lined up and are just waiting on RA to cut the cord before signing them. Whereas some of the blokes who aren't signed beyond 2024 have already signed overseas deals, more than normally would. There is changing happening on that front regardless.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yes but as others have said there aren't all that many foreign based players who would realistically be in contention for the Wallabies this year. There are a few beyond the 3 already covered by the current restrictions that would be worthwhile squad additions but that's about it.
Yeah, it's the limit of 3 in the squad that will probably make the bigger difference.

Although I think there are probably a half dozen players who currently aren't eligible, who should be in the conversation for a squad spot if we want to put our best team out with no restrictions. Not just transfers like Kerr Barlow, but people like Tom Banks

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Ok, if it is open slather and anyone that's eligible and available can be picked lets pick a side? Who is in and who is out right now?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ok, if it is open slather and anyone that's eligible and available can be picked lets pick a side? Who is in and who is out right now?
I'm going to put my hand up and say I watch no Japanese rugby, and only limited Euro rugby, so don't really think I can do it

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
My issue with scrapping the Giteau law will be the salary push that it will create for domestic players. We know Japan and France are willing to pay big for players to go there this means that without the Wallaby draw the domestic teams will need to match the money that Japan can pay to keep them. I think this will increase Australian players' salaries for players remaining in Super Rugby which will put even more financial pressure on the remaining Super clubs. The removal of the Giteau law can only be a good thing for Australian Rugby if it is matched with a decrease in the Super Rugby Salary cap ensuring that the teams don't overpay for players.
I agree with letting the best players go overseas for more money as the game is not sustainable here under the current model. However, we have to appreciate that while some players do improve when playing in France and the UK they rarely improve in Japan which is likely to be the destination for the vast majority of players heading offshore. Therefore, this may not improve the Wallabies at all but if it can save the domestic game by lowering costs then I fully support the idea but only if it can lower domestic costs.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm going to put my hand up and say I watch no Japanese rugby, and only limited Euro rugby, so don't really think I can do it
I wouldn't even look at any Japanese based forwards. The workload just isn't there for them lob up and be able to be effective in a Test environment. Backs I don't care. I think they can slot in as long as they have been playing in Japan and not showing up cold.

Scott Sio may be given a call in the Premiership due to injuries here. Skelton is available should be in the squad.

I actually think we have enough to pick from at home right now that we don't have to get concerned. I worry about Hooker and Halfback but hell. Let the guys here compete for it. Fullback went from a problem to now having Kellaway look good, Wright (who I don't like) look good and Jorgensen continue to show his talent and grow.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It feels like a good next step in the "recognising we're not New Zealand" series of decisions.

There's almost certainly some short term pain to happen: definitely for Super Rugby and possibly for the Wallabies.

But it almost certainly has a significant impact on the player value, both domestically and abroad, of Australian players, which I think is part of the point.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Here's a nearly definitive list of the Aus players in Japan, France and UK playing top division. I've bolded the ones I think we should at least consider. I was amazed at how many Aussie teenagers are already in the French and Japanese system. One Player in particular I would like to try and bring back is Staniforth for a couple weeks. He's been incredible and I just want to know if it's translatable at all or he's a Jordy Reid.

Hooker:
Folau Fainga'a (Clermont)
Tolu Latu (Montpellier)

Prop:
Tom Osborne (London Scottish)
Ollie Hoskins (Saracens)
Moses Alo-Emile (Stade Francais)
Braxton Asi (Stade Francais)
Malachi Hawkes (Toulouse)
Paddy Ryan (japan)

Lock:
Sam Lousi (Scarlets)