• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
So if Tomane is out with an injury, that should mean that Honeybadger and Folau will be starting on the wing. I can deal with that. Actually, I would be happy with any combination of Morahan, Ioane, HB, Folau or Tomane on the wings.

Another option is to have McCabe at 12, Horne at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on one wing!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Avery informative post, I will point out however the lions have played every squad member, they have not yet picked the starting 15 and might not until the first test, so I think there we might be on an equal footing going into the first test, The lions side against the reds were a completely different team, with very little cohesion, considering that I thought they did quite well.

Lots said about how the Reds played an open and bold game but I thought the Lions gave it a good go also. If that is what they can put on without combinations they are going to be a frightening prospect. Our forwards I think are a fair chance at parity but your backs will outclass ours. We have some fine talent in our backs but we lack the catalyst to make it click. That's just my view anyway.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Morahan's form since the Reds went on their SA tour has been very strong. Watching on the weekend, I really love that over the top kick that Morahan has sort of made his pet-move over the last few years, the chip over the top of the winger. Not many current wallabies can pull it off with such precision but morahan used it a number of times on Saturday. I'm happy with his selection. Although it seems a bit weird to me that the just get rid of Tomane altogether. If his toe is broken he should be fit for the second test...why not keep in the squad? meh

Re Mogg, watching him this year reminded me of a young Chris Latham. He has an impressive, unique skill set and I suspect he going to be one of those blokes that peaks a bit later in his career (much like Latho). His inexperience still lets him down at times and I think he's still figuring out the best way for him to put his mark on the game. With experience comes confidence and with confidence comes an assured performance. He'll get plenty of opportunities to play for aus. his best is yet to come

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Genia has to do more game management when Cooper isn't at flyhalf/12 and has to make extra tackles when he is.

Agree with BDA. Thanks for posting them but the difference are fairly small... I just think Genia's own opinion tells the story. He wants Quade outside him so we can analyse the stats all we want but they clearly have a good combo there.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
For Fuck sakes just leave the form 13 in Australia at 13

Yeah my bad, I think my tongue in cheek comment was taken seriously. I don't want AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing.

I do find it amusing that the ARU has listed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s positions as Fullback - Wing - Midfield, in that order.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Agree with BDA. Thanks for posting them but the difference are fairly small. I just think Genia's own opinion tells the story. He wants Quade outside him so we can analyse the stats all we want but they clearly have a good combo there.

The post was in response to some posters claiming Genia would be weaker without Cooper. The fact that there isn't so much of the gap was sort of the point. Too much posting without an objective point of reference - now there is one.

Whether he likes to play without QC (Quade Cooper) or not is sort of a moot point if he still performs to the same level.

The difference in passes/80 minutes was the most notable point for me. Over nearly 900 minutes of play without Quade it does indicate that our other 10s aren't as strong with their game management skills or that Genia simply takes the play making duties more upon himself when QC (Quade Cooper) isn't at 10.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The difference in passes/80 minutes was the most notable point for me. Over nearly 900 minutes of play without Quade it does indicate that our other 10s aren't as strong with their game management skills or that Genia simply takes the play making duties more upon himself when QC (Quade Cooper) isn't at 10.

I agree with that and that's not a bad thing in my view. Genia is a best player and he should be pulling the strings. The Lions series will come down to how well Genia performs imo. The upside is that Genia is much more consistent than Cooper.

He was out of form at the RWC, but you couldn't blame him solely for that clusterfuck

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mogg... Don't get me wrong, i like the guy, but I'm not sure what to make of him, and here is why:

The Brumbies started the season red hot in the Australian conference. Ball-scorchingly hot. And Mogg was definitely part of that.

But like last year, they seem to have slowed. Teams either seem to build slowly or start hot and then seem to get run down - Brumbies did that last year too.

But it's hard to judge when we've only seen him in Jake White's structures. He really should get an opportunity this Spring - with that massive boot he'll be an asset up north.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yes, Horan did write why he thought RD omitted QC (Quade Cooper) but that is not to say that he agreed with RD's decision to do so. He has repeated on several occasions since that he does not agree with the decision. We all have heard the reasoning behind Deans call and "understand" that reasoning..again, that does not mean we "agree" with the call. AKA, I understand you're point of view but I don't agree with it."

Again, please don't be so patronizing as to suggest any of us that are critical of this call, and all the other bamboozling selections, need to "move on and get behind the team." I am behind the team 100% and will be screaming at them from the other side of the planet at 3.00am in the morning come game night. At the end of the day, we have heard a 1000 opinions from every ex-player / coach / journo / tv host that has had the chance to comment on the QC (Quade Cooper) selection issue and I have not heard a single one of them agree with the decision to leave him out of the squad - I was curios to know if anyone else had heard otherwise. John Eales even thought it was a poor call for christ sake and he is on the ARU board. So if anyone can name a single bloody "expert" who has stood up and said they AGREE with the decision to omit QC (Quade Cooper), I would love to know.

Can't you see that your appeal to authority is more patronising, in a place like this where ordinary rugby enthusiasts share their opinions? Why post at all if the opinions of pundits is what constitutes the truth, and can be used to prove other people wrong? We may as well just nod gormlessly at the TV.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Can't you see that your appeal to authority is more patronising, in a place like this where ordinary rugby enthusiasts share their opinions? Why post at all if the opinions of pundits is what constitutes the truth, and can be used to prove other people wrong? We may as well just nod gormlessly at the TV.
He wasn't asking for the truth. Just if anyone had heard of any public figure agreeing with Deans. It didn't need to be forensically analysed for agendas.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
He wasn't asking for the truth. Just if anyone had heard of any public figure agreeing with Deans. It didn't need to be forensically analysed for agendas.

I wasn't "forensically analysing for agendas". I havn't logged on for a while and saw a series of posts from jollyswagman that began with "I am just trying to get a better sense of who else beside Qwerty and the QC (Quade Cooper) hating crowd here on GAGR agree with Deans on this call." That seems quite pointed to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.