• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Congrats to morahan in getting getting In the squad, if he does get on the field don't expect that style of play of his in offence It's quite clear that attacking rugby is not the style of rugby deans plays In Test matches. He would much rather kick from in and around the 22 to releave pressure.
Morahans defence in the lions games was fantastic and is whats needed if the forwards miss tackles and get though the 1st line of defence.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Jesus, that is a load of crap. Keep it real for crying out loud. I don't agree with everything my wife says but I am still married to her.

We are still talking about because this is a bloody rugby forum. There are no rules that I am aware of that limit the amount of time we can spend discussing or arguing any one particular subject. If you don't want to get involved just skip your eyes down the page. This has sparked up again because a few failed to take my question to the forum here as genuine. I asked a simple question, which in my opinion no one has been able to answer - with the exception of Phil's thought that maybe Spiro Zavros was in agreement with RD. If you have something to say in response to my question other than "move one," then please do.

so start a thread titled "bitching about QC (Quade Cooper)" and you guys can all cheer for his exclusion or moan about it.
you're chewing up a thread on a player who isn't in the 'wallabies 31 man squad'. the topic is the wallabies 31 man squad - so talk about the 31 man squad.
and there are no laws or rules, but sticking to reasonably well accepted societal norms would suggest you talk about the topic at hand and relevant points around it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
and yes
awesome work by morahan. part of me thinks he has played himself into the XV with tomane and ioane out.

Is Ioane out? If Tomane was cut because he wasn't going to be available for the first test, then why isn't Ioane out as well.

You would have to assume he is likely to be available

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Tomane cannot take a trick. Disappointing - dreadfully unlucky last year also.

Morahan was brilliant on Saturday and as Link said has always seemed capable of those moments, but it's interesting how 40 mins at the right time of the year lands you in the squad (and maybe the time he has spent around the squad in the past).

Good luck to him.

Yeah - good luck to him. But his form over the whole of the Super Rugby season has really not been up to scratch. He has been elevated on the strength of his first half on Saturday. Mogg would have been a far better and more deserving selection.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah - good luck to him. But his form over the whole of the Super Rugby season has really not been up to scratch. He has been elevated on the strength of his first half on Saturday. Mogg would have been a far better and more deserving selection.

Morahan's form has been much stronger in recent weeks and then he had a blinder against the Lions.

Selecting him makes far more sense than selecting Mogg who played all his best rugby in the first six weeks of the season.

Mogg has certainly played more quality games this year than Morahan, but not many of them have been in the last two months.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Ioane out? If Tomane was cut because he wasn't going to be available for the first test, then why isn't Ioane out as well.

Ioane has rejoined the squad although I'm unsure how much he's training right now.

I think Tomane will be straight back in once fit. I think it is just a case of making sure there are enough fit bodies in the squad at all times. If by the end of the series we have more than 31 people fit and training I'm sure that will be seen as a good thing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Dunno Mogg ain't a winger and has has looked less effective as the season has go on. (partly because the game plan wants him to kick, not to counter)

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)

i think he is a question mark for the first test? both are i think.
i think they will stay in as i suspect they were deans' starting wingers and when they are fit, they'll get a run.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

Form is not something Deans is Interested in this years super rugby if you look at some of the players in the team. ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I welcome Morahan's selection but what you've said about Mogg is simply not true. He was quite outstanding against the Blues and Rebels.

I agree that Mogg had a really strong game against the Rebels but I think his attacking form is well down on what it was early in the season.

I have no doubt that if you reversed his season form he'd be in the Wallabies squad right now.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Form is not something Deans is Interested in this years super rugby if you look at area players in the team. ;)
He's pretty much exclusively picked form players. I don't think there's a single name in the squad you could point to and say that player's out of form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's pretty much exclusively picked form players. I don't think there's a single name in the squad you could point to and say that player's out of form.

Hugh McMeniman was pretty average in his only game returning from injury. Almost no one here would argue with his selection though (probably including biggsy).

Too many people are still stuck with their opinions of early season form suggesting that Mogg should have been picked and Dennis shouldn't have been for example.

It's almost like people made their decisions about who the form players were after Round 6 and have either stopped watching or decided that they weren't changing their mind in the three months since.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Okay good point. Could probably argue Moore and Genia as well. Beale hasn't played to be out of form, but you could whack a question mark up next to him. So that's, at best, four out of 31 who have been picked despite a lack of form.

There are some 50-50 selections, White and Phipps for example, but saying Deans isn't picking on form is just making stuff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.