• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I reckon the best shot Mogg has of making the squad is his boot. If it's pouring rain, we're going to need someone like him. I don't want to get to Sydney at 1-1 and have to rely on JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale to kick us out of trouble. They're adequate, but neither of them can properly flatten a kick out and they can't kick 50+ metres into touch on a regular basis either.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There will definitely be a hooker.
There will definitely be a halfback. There may well be a second halfback too.
There will definitely be a lock/6
There will probably be a prop.
There will probably be a centre.
There will probably be a winger/fullback.

I'd wager the 6 will be:

Hanson
Burgess
McMeniman
Palmer
McCabe
Beale

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
If we are talking ideal 6, surely it should include Kurtley Beale. Leaving aside his personal problem, he's potentially a series winner for us.

Why don't we wait and see how he goes this weekend, hey? Its all good and well to say hes potentially a series winner for us, but so is Quade. Yes Kurtley is more reliable when compared to Cooper in the tests but he's shown that he can also crack when he's not in the right head space. I also believe that breaking your agreement with the ARU a week after you signed it is concerning, not to mention punching captains in the face whilst drunk on the team bus (being a brilliant player does not mean you exempt from this stuff, Cooper has learned this lesson).

We don't know what hes had to do at rehab or how he is mentally so I would prefer to see his performance on the field in his current state rather than relying on reputation.

Good luck to him, he's a brilliant talent and I hope he is in form but to say he should definitely be in the final 6 is ignoring the efforts of other well behaved and in form blokes.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Given that this is a home series and players can be drafted in, I'm not so certain that we'll see a third hooker in the 31 man squad.

Everyone here seems to think that Burgess will be selected. I'm not so certain. I think the reason that the second halfback wasn't named is that there is a bees dick between Phipps and White. White has the form, while Phipps had (pretty much) a full season in gold last year. I think the whole Burgess thing is bit of a media drum-up. Happy to eat my words in a couple of weeks, but I fully expect to see White there.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Rex
Given that this is a home series and players can be drafted in, I'm not so certain that we'll see a third hooker in the 31 man squad.

Everyone here seems to think that Burgess will be selected. I'm not so certain. I think the reason that the second halfback wasn't named is that there is a bees dick between Phipps and White. White has the form, while Phipps had (pretty much) a full season in gold last year. I think the whole Burgess thing is bit of a media drum-up. Happy to eat my words in a couple of weeks, but I fully expect to see White there.

Rex - disagree on the non selection of a third hooker;

Hanson (assuming he is picked), needs to spend time in the Wallaby environment learning calls and plays and this all takes time particularly for someone who is is green in this area. Tough call to bring him in at the last minute especially if Moore gets injured and god forbid slipper fingers is our starting hooker.

I tend to agree with you though on the media build up of Burgess. The backs are going to have at least one and possibly two Brumbies in the mix come match day and it is absurd thought to put a halfback in the mix who has not dealt with any of these guys nor the rest of the backline line for sometime. Plus White has gone the whole hog of reinventing himself sans his beard - surely even Dingo could understand that truly is commitment. :)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
They need a third hooker. If they have two and Moore goes down in the warm-up we are rooted. You could say the same about halfback too, which is why they may pick a 3rd.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
There will definitely be a lock/6
There will probably be a prop.
There will probably be a centre.
There will probably be a winger/fullback.

I'd wager the 6 will be:

Hanson
Burgess
McMeniman
Palmer
McCabe
Beale

Why would they include a Lock/6 when they already have one in Dennis?

Why not go with a back up LH lock in case Simmons goes down?

ISA FAN

Frank Row (1)

Why then has the ARU topped up Burgess' upcoming contract and not Whites?? I am disappointed that ARU powers have turned their backs on two halfbacks who are playing here. Burgess has also only been on the bench for his French side.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Why then has the ARU topped up Burgess' upcoming contract and not Whites?? I am disappointed that ARU powers have turned their backs on two halfbacks who are playing here. Burgess has also only been on the bench for his French side.

The ARU have not yet turned their back on Phipps or White.....

Richo

John Thornett (49)
They need a third hooker. If they have two and Moore goes down in the warm-up we are rooted. You could say the same about halfback too, which is why they may pick a 3rd.

Although if they were going to take 3 halfbacks, why not just take White in the 25 and then wait on Burgess for the last 6? Unless there is some competition between White and Phipps, I suppose.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

what are the odds Chibba Hanson will be in the stands about to smash a pie when he gets the call, a la AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

T

Train Without a Station

Why definitely? It's not like we are on tour. If there is an injury a player at the most is a 4 hour flight away.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Also, lineout calls and timing is very important, more important than a third halfback or 5th prop. I'd say that the hooker is the position most likely to have a travelling spare. I'll be very, very surprised if there is not a third hooker called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.