• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One could have easily made a case for Pyle back then as well.

But Douglas has the experience and we know what he'll do at Test level. It's an easy decision. Pyle and Carter are right up there but I'm thinking EOYT for them.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
But Douglas has the experience and we know what he'll do at Test level. It's an easy decision. Pyle and Carter are right up there but I'm thinking EOYT for them.
But the EOYT will be a grand slam, so we can't have non experienced players picked. And the following year is too close to World Cup, so we can't pick non experienced players then. That is precisely the crap that will be sprouted when the EOYT comes around.

There is always a reason in test matches to say we can't pick someone due to inexperience. They are a higher level of match. Thats why they are special.

Douglas was given a shot and did quite well, who's to say one of the others won't do better?

By your logic, Douglas should NEVER have been given a shot because he was inexperienced at test matches and we would not have known how he would go.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But the EOYT will be a grand slam, so we can't have non experienced players picked. And the following year is too close to World Cup, so we can't pick non experienced players then. That is precisely the crap that will be sprouted when the EOYT comes around.

We're playing 5 Tests on the EOYT in a row. We're going to need a squad of 50.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This may have been answered, but why a 25 man squad and then 6 later? Was that designed to motivate Quade?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There might be many reasons to do it this way(none that immediately come to mind),but I am sure motivating Quade was not one of them.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
6 tests does not seem to me to be sufficient to claim experience as a significant factor. Douglas played okay, but didn't set the world on fire.

I don't disagree with you but I think it is fair to say he has been better than Tamani and he has better skills, plays hard and does much more work.

I think there is a solid case to bring Pyle up to Wallaby level based on form but the critical thing for me is the need for the second lineout caller at Wallaby level. So much bitching about Simmons though he is the only one known to do the job at that level. The retirement of Sharpie was hardly a surprise and it baffles me that this was not done a year earlier. It doesn't help the players either not having the competition.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't disagree with you but I think it is fair to say he has been better than Tamani and he has better skills, plays hard and does much more work.

I think there is a solid case to bring Pyle up to Wallaby level based on form but the critical thing for me is the need for the second lineout caller at Wallaby level. So much bitching about Simmons though he is the only one known to do the job at that level. The retirement of Sharpie was hardly a surprise and it baffles me that this was not done a year earlier. It doesn't help the players either not having the competition.

Totally agree. I wasn't arguing against Douglas being selected, either, just that 6 tests isn't particularly valuable experience, IMO. I'd have Douglas and Pyle over Timani.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Sounds like Beale is all but picked.

Beale will now stay in Sydney to continue training. Randwick has the bye this week before Wallabies coach Robbie Deans adds the final six players to his squad on June 11. As for his British and Irish Lions chances, Beale's welfare remains the top priority for all concerned, but the 2011 John Eales medallist is likely to make it into the squad.

A character who thrives in the team environment, Deans and Condon personally oversaw his training after Beale was stood down twice from the Melbourne Rebels due to behavioural breaches. Deans will want to usher him into camp as soon as possible to accelerate his progression towards match fitness.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/steady-kurtley-shows-he-still-has-it-20130601-2nii7.html

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok so wipe out Mogg.

Hanson
Douglas
McMeniman (especially with Higgers now in doubt)
White (sealed it over Burgess last 2 games)
Beale
Centre or Winger

Tapuai had a chance to step up tonight, still horribly out of form. McCabe? Not playing. But do we need a winger? Ioane and Cummins are injured and Tomane isn't in form. I'm going to go with Ant Fainga'a or Betham as a bolter if he wants another winger.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He'd take Shmoo over Betham surely?

You'd think so but he shouldn't even make the Tahs 22 on form. He's past it as much as it pains me to say.

The thing I like about Betham is his tendency to score tries from nothing. Look at the match winner against the Brumbies and the one recently against the Crusaders. Not many other wingers would've scored those. Could win us a series. Don't think he has a kicking game however and shit hands sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.