• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You've got to love these so called experts on the Beale matter, by all means question whether he should be selected or not but how can you possibly know the head space of him.

Guys, I'm a bit confused here, are the official 6: McCabe, Ioane, Kimlin, Sio, Beale and McMeniman? Meaning Burgess was wrongly reported as part of the 6 but he's training with them?

biggameplayer

Stan Wickham (3)
You've got to love these so called experts on the Beale matter, by all means question whether he should be selected or not but how can you possibly know the head space of him.

Guys, I'm a bit confused here, are the official 6: McCabe, Ioane, Kimlin, Sio, Beale and McMeniman? Meaning Burgess was wrongly reported as part of the 6 but he's training with them?
Hansen and Burgess have been training with the squad as cover for injuries

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Quade wasn't throwing stupid passes and three of our four tries came from a good set piece in Bledisloe 4 2010. That was an example of safe rugby at it's best.

I'm not saying safe rugby is taking the shot at 3, even if the penalty is on your own line. I'm saying it's built on winning your set piece and having players that position themselves well in defence, tackle very well and force defenders to stay near the breakdown. The brilliant attack you describe is the reward for having these things.

Any rugby is built on good set piece and defense. Safe, attacking or otherwise.

Safe = kicking to the corner even when you have an overlap on about half way

Attacking = taking the opportunity presented to run the ball and go for a try

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
Fuck me this selection process is making the Australia Cricket selectors look competent.

I have lost all confidence in Deans.

I'm writing off the Lions series and hoping someone in the ARU has the sense to appoint Link or Jake White prior to the RC.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Funny that, I think he's absolutely nailed the squad now. I wouldn't make any changes.

I would think you might agree that one of Dennis, McCalman or Kimlin was superfluous to requirements?

None are good enough locks to be back ups at international level, so they all cover 6/8 only?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)

Fair enough. But all teams must attack to one degree or another and there are many ways to attack. Using width the way the Reds played on Sat, or by creating space between defenders as Chieka's Tahs do, or counter attack as won the Reds the 11 title. Hybrid models like the Brumbies which are defensive oriented but seek to counter attack if and only if they have field position.

What will the Wallabies do? I don't think it will be pure width. The Lions play too well across the field, and have many players who are deadly if a turnover gives them space.

And equally what defensive gameplan will they bring?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Funny that, I think he's absolutely nailed the squad now. I wouldn't make any changes.
Even if you're serious the problem will come when the dingo cull occurs and the lucky 23 are named and the somewhere between 8 and 10 miss out.
Lets see how you like that squad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would think you might agree that one of Dennis, McCalman or Kimlin was superfluous to requirements?

None are good enough locks to be back ups at international level, so they all cover 6/8 only?

I'd probably get rid of one for Hanson in the squad but he's with training with the squad already. The personnel are fine, maybe a few issues with the squad dynamics.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think the squad is fair enough and there aren't too many selections that I would question. I would have picked QC (Quade Cooper), but only if (as others have pointed out) the game plan was designed to play to his strengths. As it is, Deans will instruct the team to play safe, no frills rugby IMHO and thus the probable choice of JOC (James O'Connor) to play 10 is understandable. I personally think his best position would be 12, but there you go.

So the squad is fine, but the real question is the starting XV. There is a fair difference between who I think should be starting (and where) and the line up Deans will pick.

Reactions: gel

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the squad is unbalanced, resulting in an extra hooker and halfback just training, instead of being part of the squad.

Definitely one too many locks / flankers (Kimlin, McCalman or MMM), perhaps one too many backs (probably McCabe).

Either lose the extras, or just increase the size and get the other two in.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

It isn't safe play to kick for touch when you don't have a lineout that can win your own throws let alone pressure the opposition.

As for kicking to space, once North came on that was a silly prospect as well.

I just don't see how else the Reds could have played this game. They played in a fashion that made best use of what they had and tried to win. It was a great game and they certainly didn't lose any fans, because they executed so well. If their execution had been off as it was in South Africa it would have been dire indeed and the knives would have been sharp and detractors laughing uproariously.

Very Happy Reds Fan

Frank Row (1)
Having just read the latest inclusions (the not so magnificent 6), I firmly believe that we are about to get bent over a barbwire fence and shafted.
Don't get me wrong. Like most other people here, I would give my left testicle for a wallabies series win but I can't see how picking out of form players, those returning from injury (physical and mental) and yesterdays heroes is going to do it against a side like the lions with the depth they have (break two props? no worries he's two new players who were preped at test level just this week for you). And then the form players are going to be out of position? Folau on the wing? Roll on Link!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Having just read the latest inclusions (the not so magnificent 6), I firmly believe that we are about to get bent over a barbwire fence and shafted.
Don't get me wrong. Like most other people here, I would give my left testicle for a wallabies series win but I can't see how picking out of form players, those returning from injury (physical and mental) and yesterdays heroes is going to do it against a side like the lions with the depth they have (break two props? no worries he's two new players who were preped at test level just this week for you). And then the form players are going to be out of position? Folau on the wing? Roll on Link!

OK mate, I'll bite. Who has been left out of the 31 that you would have picked?

And don't just say 'Quade' as if he would singularly make the difference between us winning and getting, erm, 'bent over a barbwire fence and shafted'.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Honestly guys it's a 31 man squad. There are always going to be one or two interesting picks.

This is the best possible 31 man squad, bar Quade. A great mix of form and experience. The starting XV may be another story, but for now I will tip my hat to Robbie and the selectors for jumping the first (and easiest) hurdle.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A team with set piece and defence is not necessarily devoid of attack - with JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, and Folau you can't possibly believe that will be the case.

And a high tempo game is not necessarily one filled with flair and spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.