• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies at the Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdog

Frank Nicholson (4)
I heard an observation made a few days ago in regard to Saia Fainga'a not taking the field in lieu of (the obviously out of condition from the 60 min point) TPN that the former cannot handle the Nthern hemisphere scrums.
Can someone tell me exactly how and where this claimed difference lies?

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think we may see Hodgson on the bench next week to cover Pocock. Turner is cover for any further injuries or in the sad case somebody does not recover.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
They probably could've done with other experienced big game players like Saia Fainga'a, Tapuai, Morahan, Davies and Lucas...

Look it was always going to come out badly, better examples could have been picked maybe, but they were certainly not front of mind. Why not address the argument instead of taking pot shots.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hodgson will probably get first backrow spot on the bench, he offers cover for 6 and 7 and would make the selection of both Higgenbotham and McCalman seem very pointless. Burgess and McCabe seem the obvious backs for the bench. Slipper, if fit, will get the back-up prop, TPN at 16 and Sharpe has done enough to steal Simmons bench spot.

With the return of Ioane and McCabe we will probably see this line-up.
1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Vickerman
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe
19. Hodgson
20. Higgenbotham/McCalman
21. Burgess
22. McCabe/Turner

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Cant argue with that team. Subs will be crucial, glad I'm not making the call on the last back position but I'd like to see dingo have faith in his squad and pick the fittest player. Also like to see deans rotate the props with 'injuries', like link did on occasions this season. I still don't know how teams get away with it, but if it can be done by others I'd like to see us do it as well.

TPN due for a big game. Berrick Barnes time to shine.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
They probably could've done with other experienced big game players like Saia Fainga'a, Tapuai, Morahan, Davies and Lucas...

FFS, do we have to put up with this shit from you ALL the time? Can you at least give it a rest outside the Super Season? People get that you don't think much of the Reds or some of their non-star players, great! But there are other reasons people recommend players than simple parochial bias. For example, when you champion McCabe most reasonable people assume that you have a good reason for this (i.e. a subjective appraisal of his performances) and aren't rude enough to say "oh, well if you want McCabe then you must want Speight to replace Drew Mitchell and Hoiles in for Palu". It's completely fair for someone to say that Daley, Slipper and Robinson are good at the breakdown and around the park, they don't have to get shutdown by the same parochial rubbish you've given all year.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sharpe > Vickerman - 50mins
Slipper > Kepu - 50mins
Higgenbotham > Samo - 60mins
Hodgson > Elsom - 65mins
Burgess > Genia - 75mins

Hopefully Moore and our backs can last the 80.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm all for that team & would definitely play Higgers over McCalman & give Hodgson a bench spot.

It's a shame TPN is so out of form & to be honset I'd be worried if he came on & the game was tight I'd probably prefer he played the 1st 20 minutes. My brother who doesn't watch a lot of Rugby asked me who that shit Islander guy was that played for us against Ireland & it was really hard to convince him that he is one of the best players in the country when fit. So I'm sending him a copy of the Boks game in Brisbane 2009 & the Blues game at the SFS in 2010 that should convince him.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I wonder if we have seen as much of Simmons as we have for strategic reasons.

(I say this as someone who thinks he may become a pretty good player, he is very young, he shows flashes of real physicality in defence)

Is Vickerman is not having the best time of it with that stress fracture and does Deans just want Simmons to have some sort of experience of test rugby in case Vickerman or one of the others is not available in the bigtime, starting next week?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Only reason I wouldn't play Vickerman is his ill-discipline, gives away annoying penalties but I don't think it's as much of a worry when they are missing F.Steyn. I wouldn't have Simmons in there over Sharpe, we need leadership and the ability to re-direct to the team off the bench, Simmons just doesn't have the experience or leadership, the potential is there but for now he's not worth the risk.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Higgenbotham > Samo - 60mins

I'd swap DK at the 50th minute. Gives him 10 minutes to take the sting out of the opposition from the half and you would think that at this stage of the competition around the 60 - 65 minute is when the game opens up!

The bigger question is not when Deans will use the bench but IF!

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Simmons is clearly out of form. At times it looks like he just started to play the game. He's been playing to give the other looks a break. It'll be Horwill and Vics starting with Sharpe on the bench.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Simmons is clearly out of form. At times it looks like he just started to play the game. He's been playing to give the other looks a break. It'll be Horwill and Vics starting with Sharpe on the bench.

Vickerman seemed to move from needing lots of matches to get up to speed (though he has looked very lean/fit since arriving) to needing rest pretty quickly. Worried that his stress injury is not going all that well.

Sharpe has seemed to have more rest than form or injury has indicated was necessary.

I agree that Simmons has looked a klutz at times, but I think Deans is polishing him a little because he is concerned that between Vickerman, Horwill and Sharpe, he's going to need that 4th lock on the bench at some stage in the next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.