• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies EOYT 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You are reading far too much into it and making a whole lot of personal assumptions. Asking Duncan's opinion on it might be the best approach. I think you'll find simply that Cheika was rewarding the members of the wider squad from the RC with a start in this game. Of that bunch the only other one who could play 10 was Hunt who's clearly been earmarked to fill in for Folau at 15 on the tour. Of the players brought into the squad Godwin was the only one who could play 10 and he didn't even make the bench. In fact there wasn't even a spare 10 skillset on the bench.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
How many spots did people think there might be? I don't think there was ever the suggestion or I can imagine the belief from the players that there were a whole lot of tour spots available.

Oh I never thought there were many spots available (DP's jersey is the wrong colour to get a Wobs call up under normal circumstances :p) I just think that from comments made by the coach there was a perception out there that if you played the house down you'd be in with a shot of going on tour. Kinda like that perception that if you come back from overseas you're in with a shot a making the Wallatahs ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon the guy who really played the house down who wasn't in the initial squad was Ben McCalman and he is now in the squad.

I don't think anyone else was particularly impressive.

Taqele Naiyaravoro was probably the next guy to have an impressive game and could have potentially squeezed someone else out. He probably needed to do something miraculous to take Perese or Rona's spot who have been with the squad for a long time now.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I reckon the guy who really played the house down who wasn't in the initial squad was Ben McCalman and he is now in the squad.

I don't think anyone else was particularly impressive.

Taqele Naiyaravoro was probably the next guy to have an impressive game and could have potentially squeezed someone else out. He probably needed to do something miraculous to take Perese or Rona's spot who have been with the squad for a long time now.

Fact that Rona came on and immediately almost scored probably sealed his spot. In the end to earn his spot Naiyaravoro probably almost needed Rona to play badly, which would have been tough coming off the bench, as much as he needed to play well. As well as he played he can't have been on the radar really before the game although Cheika seems to like him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Taqele does seem to be motivated though. I wouldn't hate seeing him given a few games at 13 for the Tahs, if the coaching staff think he can defend at all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Taqele does seem to be motivated though. I wouldn't hate seeing him given a few games at 13 for the Tahs, if the coaching staff think he can defend at all.

Me too. I think at wing TN has only one real asset, that is to take the ball at full pace withing 10 - 20m of the tryline and bulldozer his way to the line. At 13, he was much more involved, broke the line fairly frequently, off loaded to his supports, and didn't get isolated by a short kick in behind him. He looked a whole lot more dangerous at 13 than he has ever done so on the wing.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Not that he was likely to make the tour or anything, but actually thought Nabuli had a pretty solid hit out. Ran some good lines, looked for work the whole game and made some solid hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Me too. I think at wing TN has only one real asset, that is to take the ball at full pace withing 10 - 20m of the tryline and bulldozer his way to the line. At 13, he was much more involved, broke the line fairly frequently, off loaded to his supports, and didn't get isolated by a short kick in behind him. He looked a whole lot more dangerous at 13 than he has ever done so on the wing.

I'm pretty sure he also spent his short stint overseas at 13.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
That's an interesting take I hadn't thought about how 13 might benefit his offloading game. On the wing he only ever gets the chance to hurl it in field but at 13 he can have options either side of him to offload. If he hits the line at pace it'd have to be a once in a lifetime one on one tackle to both stop him and wrap up the offload. His offloading game actually has the potential to be quite extraordinary, his hands are so big he can just throw one hand basketball passes. I'm actually warming to the idea of him at 13 if his defence and/or the defensive structure is up to it.

T

TOCC

Taqele wasn't challenged at all in his position defensively, the Wallabies backline attacking structure was poor and never really placed any real pressure on them in that regard. TN will have the same problem he always has, too slow laterally and needs to do a 3 point turn just to turn around to chase a kick.

Theres no disputing that he is a wrecking ball when running straight, but test rugby requires more then that, against Tier 1 test nations he will be targeted and found out.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Taqele wasn't challenged at all in his position defensively, the Wallabies backline attacking structure was poor and never really placed any real pressure on them in that regard. TN will have the same problem he always has, too slow laterally and needs to do a 3 point turn just to turn around to chase a kick.

Theres no disputing that he is a wrecking ball when running straight, but test rugby requires more then that, against Tier 1 test nations he will be targeted and found out.
Yeah I think Taqele at 13 is more a conversation for the Waratahs or Greater Sydney Rams thread at this stage.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just so people know what games are on the tour, it starts this Saturday in Japan:

4 Nov 4:40pm Japan vs Wallabies Nissan Stadium, Yokohama
12 Nov 4:15am Wales vs Wallabies Principality Stadium, Cardiff
19 Nov 2:00am England vs Wallabies Twickenham, London
26 Nov 1:30am Scotland vs Wallabies Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.