• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies EOYT 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Yep - Bein have the rights for the European games, Foxtel has the Japan game.

There's no anti-siphoning legislation guaranteeing away test matches if no one wants to buy it so there may not be a FTA option. Doesn't look like anyone will pick up the Japan game at this stage

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
With the exception of a Barbarians match or two, I can't remember the last time an Autumn International was on FTA. It's not ideal, but not unusual.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If you don't have Foxtel you can subscribe to "beIN sports connect" for $20 in November only and watch the match either live or on catch up on your computer or tablet. There're probably some darker corners of the internet where you can watch for free but this is the best legal deal I can find. From memory the beIN commentators weren't too bad at all either.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
With the exception of a Barbarians match or two, I can't remember the last time an Autumn International was on FTA. It's not ideal, but not unusual.

SBS picked up some of the games last year but take your point, these are really unattractive games for the commercial broadcasters. It's just not worth them paying what the rights holders charge

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Makes you think that Rugby Australia would be better off getting the rights and streaming it on their website. At least people would see it here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Makes you think that Rugby Australia would be better off getting the rights and streaming it on their website. At least people would see it here.

I guess they reckon the amount of people who would stay up to watch the livestream wouldn't make it that worthwhile an investment. If you're a free to air viewer and you can stand not watching it live I'm sure you can probably find a recording somewhere on the internet by the next morning, usually there's a YouTube version that is up for a while before they get around to taking it down.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With Izzy out I thought Banks would have been a decent shout as a backup 15 to tour. We've got so many wing options, would have like to have seen him ahead of Rona or Speight.

Also - if Foley goes down injured in the Japan game, does Cheika rely on Beale or Hodge to get us through Wales, England and Scotland?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

Think beIN already have the digital rights as well - they just charge us to see them.

Aru getting in bidding wars for this sort of stuff seems like a really bad idea

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Taqele wasn't challenged at all in his position defensively, the Wallabies backline attacking structure was poor and never really placed any real pressure on them in that regard. TN will have the same problem he always has, too slow laterally and needs to do a 3 point turn just to turn around to chase a kick.

Theres no disputing that he is a wrecking ball when running straight, but test rugby requires more then that, against Tier 1 test nations he will be targeted and found out.

TOCC you are right about the Wallabies' attacking structure and maybe about TN overall, but by way of contrast, the Baa Baas' attacking structure was pretty well organised and a lot of it revolved around TN in the 13 spot. While TN didn't get challenged in defense, the Wallabies certainly did, and Kerevi's efforts in defense were abysmal again. So by both measures, defense and attack, TN had it over Kerevi all game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Fuck FTA, except for ABC and SBS. Sooner they all go under the better.

That’s a bit harsh. They do have an audience, there are people who cannot afford cable, but who are not attracted to either the ABC or SBS. A lot of them, mostly not all that well off.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
TOCC you are right about the Wallabies' attacking structure and maybe about TN overall, but by way of contrast, the Baa Baas' attacking structure was pretty well organised and a lot of it revolved around TN in the 13 spot. While TN didn't get challenged in defense, the Wallabies certainly did, and Kerevi's efforts in defense were abysmal again. So by both measures, defense and attack, TN had it over Kerevi all game.

I reckon the Baa Baas attack was down to Cooper, with a lot of help from Kerevi's bizarre efforts

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That’s a bit harsh. They do have an audience, there are people who cannot afford cable, but who are not attracted to either the ABC or SBS. A lot of them, mostly not all that well off.

Harsh, my arse. FTA has done SFA for the good of this country in terms of political interference, ignoring the wishes of the greater public, and in lowering the intelligence of the populace. I hear that streaming will be all the rage in the near future, so get on with it. Then perhaps those who wish to watch our national teams do their business overseas can get to see them in action for a nominal cost.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If FTA TV is in anyways salvageable, it needs to begin by removing Reality TV and Game Shows from counting towards Australian Produced content.

Otherwise let it die its slow and painful death. I'll be (or rather not be) watching popcorn in hand.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If FTA TV is in anyways salvageable, it needs to begin by removing Reality TV and Game Shows from counting towards Australian Produced content.

Otherwise let it die its slow and painful death. I'll be (or rather not be) watching popcorn in hand.

Aside from news and sport, it's all they have........

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

From a broader economic perspective it would be quite concerning to see us stop producing in yet another facet of the economy. Houses and holes can only get us so far.
As a consumer though, i literally don't even own a TV anymore.I just stream the rugby using fox on my computer.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Harsh, my arse. FTA has done SFA for the good of this country in terms of political interference, ignoring the wishes of the greater public, and in lowering the intelligence of the populace.

I never thought I would find myself defending the popular media, but frankly, your views are so patronisingly elitist that I just have to.

If, as you put it, the popular media is “ignoring the wishes of the greater public”, why on earth does the greater public watch it?

And how, precisely, does the media manage to “lower intelligence?” Can you quote some studies?

Status
Not open for further replies.