• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies have a drinking problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
More importantly...

Who would win?

Team Drunk

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Ryan
4. Fardy
5. Douglas
6. Dennis
7. Gill
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. White
11. Cummins
12. Harris
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. S Fainga'a?
15. Foley

Team Sober

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Timani
5. Horwill
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Mowen
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. CFS
15. Folau

Sure, Team Sober makes up the bulk of our best XV, and Team Drunk is forced to play Fainga'a out on the wing.....

But I reckon Fardy has more starch in his beard than Team Sober's back 5 forwards, and Team Drunk's scrum would probably be more dominant... but they'd get owned in the line outs...

Less firepower in the backs but Cummins does love a few meat pies.....

Team Sober by 7....

Is Scott Fardy an alcoholic but in denial? ;)

Poor Rob Simmons. Goes from the first XV to being the squad reject. Didn't he get an invite to dinner?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Ok: 3 days (72hrs) after one test match, 3 days (72hrs) before the next. The players would've known on the Tuesday if they were in the 23.

They went out & got hammered.

I think the suspensions were handed down to those named to play Ireland because drinking 72hrs after one game & 72hrs before the next is fucking stupid no matter which way you looked at it. Certainly not the actions of a playing group under pressure doing all they could to perform better. And it isn't like we were in form so good at the time that would warrant a knees-up. We'd beaten Italy & been bent over by England everywhere but on the scoreboard.

Beyond the players who had been named, I think it was simple drunken fuckwittery.

If we'd lost to Ireland we would've been on these forums calling for players to be sent home & for Ewen to be sacked.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A bit more info:

While the Wallabies don't apply a curfew and allow a couple of glasses of wine at their Tuesday team dinner, McKenzie said it was a clear break of internal protocols.

Punishments varied depending on how late they stayed, how much alcohol players consumed and whether they were in the match-day 23.

Team management took two full days to uncover what had occurred and McKenzie handed down his punishments to players on Sunday morning.

He stressed there wasn't enough time between finding out the full story and the Ireland clash, won 32-15 in the world No.4-ranked team's best display of a forgettable year, to mete out bans earlier.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/wallaby-bans-aimed-at-improving-team-20131119-2xrmw.html

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Just speculating, but I'm guessing the three variations of punishment might be along the lines of:

- Really drunk, out really late, still drunk in the morning/missed team meeting? (suspended)
- Drunk, out late (written warning)
- Out too late (verbal warning)

I'm assuming the players that were in the 23 that were drinking were suspended. I'm guessing the ones who got written warnings were as guilty as the suspended players, but as they were not scheduled to play it was seen as less serious.

The verbal warning were probably for being out too late (which included Fardy).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I must admit it is hard for a young bloke who is travelling through the UK with his mates not to enjoy the local scenery every now and then. If I was over there for work Id be doing the same. to be honest, the only reason im not drunk right now is its a Monday...and Ewen wont let me drink on Mondays

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
If we'd lost to Ireland we would've been on these forums calling for players to be sent home & for Ewen to be sacked.

This.

Most of us bitched about Deans giving players plenty of latitude to play up with any consequences, so it's a bit rough to complain when McKenzie pulls these blokes up on a tight leash.

It's a breach of team protocols according to the article, and if there hadn't been so many starting players involved I doubt anyone would have taken any notice of it. Think it's being blown up into something bigger than it really is.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Either there was a ban on drinking, and there was a curfew.
Or there were no fucking protocols about these issues.
They both cannot be right.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Rules are rules, if they dont follow the rules? Deans had to suffer this for a long time till it cost him his job. Lesson nr1 for any coach. Even Snor was strict with this.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Either there was a ban on drinking, and there was a curfew.
Or there were no fucking protocols about these issues.
They both cannot be right.

There's obviously a set of standards the team has in place that has been breached, and I would assume that the leadership group would have approved the decision to sanction players.......

I think there's a clear distinction between enjoying a glass of wine with dinner and pullin an all nighter.........

T

TOCC

Just because they didn't break any preset rules doesn't mean that what they did wasn't in the wrong....

They aren't their on a holiday and have nights out with the boys, they are their to play rugby and represent their country, and getting paid handsomely to do so($75'000 in match fees alone) to do so.

Think about the context of events as well, people were upset when a sober KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) were at a burger joint at 2am in the days prior to a test match, now you have some senior players drinking alcohol and presumably getting drunk in the days prior to a test... Links hand was forced

T

Train Without a Station

There's obviously a set of standards the team has in place that has been breached, and I would assume that the leadership group would have approved the decision to sanction players...

I think there's a clear distinction between enjoying a glass of wine with dinner and pullin an all nighter...

Well said. There's a clear scientific link between alcohol consumption and both recovery and athletic performance. Now I'm no sports scientist, but I'd assume have more than a couple of drinks would affect the intended recovery of a rest day.

These blokes are paid to be professional athletes, they are expected to maintain a reasonable standard of professionalism for certain periods of time. This is one of them.

It does sound a bit harsh but from the quotes, it appears they were allowed to have a few drinks and enjoy dinner out, but engaging in activity which would affect athletic performance was frowned upon. Well done for striving to maintain the highest professional standards.

Considering the goals of this time, the fair question on Tuesday night would have been, what would the All Blacks do?

T

Train Without a Station

Also, as a note, as I mentioned on the main page. The World Health Organization considers greater than 4 standard drinks in one session to be a binge and unhealthy levels for even irregular consumption. I'd assume team protocols would be around that levels.

Considering they are paid for athletic performance, I guess taking care of their bodies is part of their responsibilities.

I also like a drink, but you cannot say it did them no harm. Studies clearly show it does and it is the players responsibility to keep themselves in peak physical condition. They're not paid for their IP, their paid for their athletic performance.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seems like it has been pretty well handled to me, plus most of those suspended could do with a rest anyway.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Just because they didn't break any preset rules doesn't mean that what they did wasn't in the wrong..

They aren't their on a holiday and have nights out with the boys, they are their to play rugby and represent their country, and getting paid handsomely to do so($75'000 in match fees alone) to do so.

Think about the context of events as well, people were upset when a sober KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) were at a burger joint at 2am in the days prior to a test match, now you have some senior players drinking alcohol and presumably getting drunk in the days prior to a test. Links hand was forced

I agree. I should of clarified it as a storm in a tea cup from the media.

These fella's just need to use some common sense. I don't think anybody would begrudge them a discrete outing to the pub if they call it a night at a responsible hour. We all deserve and need a chance to wind down.

The matter has been handled and dealt with, so let that be the end of it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.