• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies squad for Ireland series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Will he go with Timu and Samu to back up Pocock and Hooper? I doubt it.
More likely that Tui will be on the bench with Timu starting or the other way around.
There is no way Tui beats out either Samu or Timu for a spot. It would be ridiculous. He's barely played all year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is no way Tui beats out either Samu or Timu for a spot. It would be ridiculous. He's barely played all year.

Sad but true. If and when he gets back to full fitness, I would hope he will be a permanent fixture in the 23, if not the XV.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
But our lineout is vulnerable. At least have him on the bench in case we start to get slain at the lineout. He’s got to be good for 20-30 at the end?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Timu should get better at lineouts as he works on it. With his League background it's more likely a lack of experience that is hampering him at lineout time (like he struggled to control the ball at the back of the scrum earlier in the season) and a bit of work should turn him into a decent 3rd option. Obviously, he might not be perfect this series but he will hopefully make steady improvements.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

I'm not so sure that Tui can't beat out Samu. I think you've gotta start Timu, that 20 minuet stint for the Reds last week sealed the starting jersey. The question is then Tui or Samu, I haven't genuinely watched Samu enough to make that call, especially considering as others have pointed out Tui hasn't played much rugby. If I am asking who has the more potential (even if just for the upcoming RWC) obviously that's the 21 year old Tui. Alternatively, who is going to give you the most right now, that's a much closer run thing.

The decision between Tui and Samu will likely be settled in training camp, I suspect for the first game Samu will be given the go-ahead if only for the cap off the bench to make all the fuss about him worth while. I do expect Tui to be used particularly if we have a 6-2 split (likely Hodge or DHP on the bench).

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It would be a huge gamble to throw Tui into this game. Although TBF we do not know how much work he has been able to do while he has been out.

I agree, I don't think Cheika is the coach to take such a risk. If you go with the 6/2 split it's viable to have him and Simmons in the 23 and worse case push Tui back into the row if it's not working out. Regardless of his form Tui was a good lock last year.
But I think Rodda and Coleman are the types of players who can go the full 80.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Well if the lineout is failing with only two proper jumpers we can always call in Cam Clark to lift Rona as per the weekend:

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 12.28.39 pm.png

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not so sure that Tui can't beat out Samu. I think you've gotta start Timu, that 20 minuet stint for the Reds last week sealed the starting jersey. The question is then Tui or Samu, I haven't genuinely watched Samu enough to make that call, especially considering as others have pointed out Tui hasn't played much rugby. If I am asking who has the more potential (even if just for the upcoming RWC) obviously that's the 21 year old Tui. Alternatively, who is going to give you the most right now, that's a much closer run thing.
I'm pretty sure he's played less than 80 minutes of Super Rugby, right? Unless Cheika knows something we don't it'd be bonkers to choose him to play test match rugby so underdone.

Samu may not have always been first choice, but he's got plenty of minutes under his belt.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know Cheika has been active in getting people back to Australia over his tenure, but I can’t imagine he went to this much trouble to get Samu unless he intended to use him.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
So I'm curious.
We always talk about how many born NSW'ers or how many Qld'ers are in the squad.
But I'm curious to know how many players of Fijian or of Tongan, or Somoan extraction are in the squad?
I know we are fortunate to have so many, because without them the Wallabies would probably be around 8th in world rankings (if that).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But I'm curious to know how many players of Fijian or of Tongan, or Somoan extraction are in the squad?
I know we are fortunate to have so many, because without them the Wallabies would probably be around 8th in world rankings (if that).

Without doubt PI and NZ players keep rugby going in Australia. They are playing the game at all ages and levels.

In the current Wallabies squad:

Kepu - born in Sydney but Tongan heritage
Sio - born in Sydney but Samoan heritage
Ala'alatoa - born in Sydney but Samoan heritage
Tupou - born in Tonga
BPA - born in NZ
Fainga'a - born in Sydney but I think Fijian heritage
Latu - born in Tonga
Tui - born in NZ
Samu - born in Melbourne but Samoan heritage I believe
Timu - born in NZ
Rona - born in NZ
Kuridrani - born in Fiji
Kerevi - born in Fiji
Koroibete - born in Fiji
Naivalu - born in Fiji
Folau - born in Sydney but Tongan heritage

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Latu has officially been added to the squad. Foxsports is suggesting he could be in the 23 so we aren't selecting two debutantes.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Latu has officially been added to the squad. Foxsports is suggesting he could be in the 23 so we aren't selecting two debutantes.

I really don't get how you add the guy off the bench for the Waratahs (who was utter trash last year) yet ignore the starter. #JustCheikasFavourites

Status
Not open for further replies.