• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies squad for Ireland series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I really don't get how you add the guy off the bench for the Waratahs (who was utter trash last year) yet ignore the starter. #JustCheikasFavourites

I do. Fitzpatrick isn't big enough for test footy, but is a good Super rugby option.

He also has no test match experience, nor do any other candidates, whereas Latu does.

Horses for courses.

Or did you simply want to take another shot at Cheika?

#justZero_Coolthings

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They pick who they think will do the best job. They aren't handing out participation awards.

It would be different if they were selecting a team of the season or something but they aren't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I really don't get how you add the guy off the bench for the Waratahs (who was utter trash last year) yet ignore the starter. #JustCheikasFavourites

Yeah he had an off Season last year, sounds like there were some issues with his commitment.
2016 he had a good season & should've rolled into a good 2017 but didn't.
I think he's probably learned from his transgressions & with any luck will come out rip roaring & do well.
He's got the Test experience, can pilfer, has worked with TPN for a good few years & Cheiks knows what he's capable of.
Can't see why he wouldn't be selected.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think it would be a brave move to have two debutante hookers in a test match.

But I am no fan of Latu

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah he had an off Season last year, sounds like there were some issues with his commitment.
2016 he had a good season & should've rolled into a good 2017 but didn't.
I think he's probably learned from his transgressions & with any luck will come out rip roaring & do well.
He's got the Test experience, can pilfer, has worked with TPN for a good few years & Cheiks knows what he's capable of.
Can't see why he wouldn't be selected.

I generally agree he's one of the better hookers in terms of his ability, but he's played 4 games, averaging around 25 minuets a game! I'm sorry but if he isn't even starting for his side he really shouldn't be in the Wallabies Squad. Should have been Rangi!

I've got the same concerns about Tui, except he's had some excuses for not playing (suspension and injury) and presumably would actually be starting for the Reds, but he's shown more ability at test level, and doesn't have a lot of competition for his role.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I generally agree he's one of the better hookers in terms of his ability, but he's played 4 games, averaging around 25 minuets a game! I'm sorry but if he isn't even starting for his side he really shouldn't be in the Wallabies Squad.
25mins/game is pretty much the maximum time bench hookers get at most tests, it only increased in time for TPN in the lead up to RWC final.
The lack of starts for him this year, is probably more a reflection of his attitude issues from last year more than his ability.

Should have been Rangi!
Yep he should be there, I'd say he'll go into camp next week for training & might be taken to Sydney.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I generally agree he's one of the better hookers in terms of his ability, but he's played 4 games, averaging around 25 minuets a game! I'm sorry but if he isn't even starting for his side he really shouldn't be in the Wallabies Squad. Should have been Rangi!

I've got the same concerns about Tui, except he's had some excuses for not playing (suspension and injury) and presumably would actually be starting for the Reds, but he's shown more ability at test level, and doesn't have a lot of competition for his role.

That last paragraph could be used pretty much exactly for Latu.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I really just don't get how you add Latu, a guy off the bench for the Waratahs (who was utter trash last year), yet ignore Angus Scott Young. 193 cm and 108 kg, he is the perfect size for a hooker.

Wright could be worth looking at as well for the future. He might have to slim down a little.

Perese also wouldn't let you down at 2, IMO.

Fucking Cheika.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is pissing down in Brisbane. The scrums will be a lottery. The game will not be much of a spectacle, unfortunately, unless you love lots of kicking and lots of fumbling. Not to mention continual scrum resets.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It is pissing down in Brisbane. The scrums will be a lottery. The game will not be much of a spectacle, unfortunately, unless you love lots of kicking and lots of fumbling. Not to mention continual scrum resets.

Well it is meant to clear later today. But may as well be miserly about it anyway!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think our scrum will more than match theirs. We have a great tight 5 and all our key players are fit and available, ignoring TPN. Most of our teams have been scrummaging quite well in Super rugby. Plus they are missing Rory Best.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well it is meant to clear later today. But may as well be miserly about it anyway!
Not according to the latest forecast, there are showers likely up until the game.

No point pretending that the ground will be dry, either, my friend. Even at its best the surface cuts up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not according to the latest forecast, there are showers likely up until the game.

No point pretending that the ground will be dry, either, my friend. Even at its best the surface cuts up.

There's very little rain forecast for Brisbane on Friday and Saturday. The ground should be fine.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm certain it won't make one iota of difference to the Wallabies game plan. They only have one. And no time to implement another if they had one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm certain it won't make one iota of difference to the Wallabies game plan. They only have one. And no time to implement another if they had one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Play what's in front of them? That rings a bell.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Play what's in front of them? That rings a bell.

Play what's in front of them would suggest that they adapt to what's being done by their opposition, I think our last half dozen games against England would indicate that's not the case.

Maybe it's 'play rugby'. Although Cheika has adapted his approach by banning headphones. Although maybe we'll get some Cyndi Lauper played at the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.