• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Sio's form has been outstanding but I'll be really surprised if McKenzie ditches Robinson from the starting side. Robinson also had his best year in the last few and is easily our most experienced prop (particularly if Alexander misses out).

Unless using the new scrummaging laws at training shows something dramatic in terms of Robinson struggling, I think McKenzie will bank on the experience.

Are the choice LHP. Robinson is effective and works hard, however Sio's explosiveness upfront has really impressed me. If kimlin and Higginbotham were around i would choose robinson. But now that we have lost that bit of power i think Sio is needed.

However i understand this is a pipedream and Sio will most likely be used off the bench

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
How about a team picked on form? It won't (and probably shouldn't) happen as there are too many debutantes and weighting will be given to test experience, but for my money this would be the form team from the squad.

Sio
Moore
Alexander
Pyle
Horwill
Fardy
Gill
Mowen
Genia
JOC (James O'Connor)
To'omua
Lilo
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Mogg

Fainga'a
Robbo
Slipper
MMM
Hooper
White
Cooper
Kuridrani

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why's that?

He isn't up to it as a starting test 6, I see him as a bench cover lock who can play 6 or a starting lock if we are looking for mobility.

McCalman, Dennis, Schatz & McMeniman are more "backrowers" to me

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But Fardy has played a lot at 6, and is very much like a back rower:

He has mobility, high workrate, strong at the breakdown and tackles tackles tackles........

I don't think any of those other options are anywhere near as effective except for MMM and his injuries/fitness/defensive lapses are probably holding him back.........

The Wallaby pack also needs some serious toughening up.........

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But Fardy has played a lot at 6, and is very much like a back rower:

He has mobility, high workrate, strong at the breakdown and tackles tackles tackles....

I don't think any of those other options are anywhere near as effective except for MMM and his injuries/fitness/defensive lapses are probably holding him back...

Well we can agree to disagree, but I reckon Link has some big issues to sort out

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I definitely consider Fardy a better option at 6 than MMM. I don't think MMM quite has the pace.

MMM is adequate as 6 cover if he's on the bench to cover lock and 6 but I don't see him as a starting 6.

It will be interesting to see who gets cut from the squad on Friday. Unfashionable players like Dennis and McCalman are probably expected to be cut as many considered them Deans' favourites that were perhaps selected more often than they deserved. The 30 man squad should provide a better idea of the pecking order in the McKenzie universe.

Of course who makes the actual team for the first test will be the biggest clue ;)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't agree something. I don't disagree with them both being in the 23 either but it could easily be one or the other with a utility on the bench as 10 cover.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just out of interest - does everyone agree that both Cooper and To'omua should be in 23?

I think it will depend largely on the split of reserves. If we run a 6:2 bench then I think there is almost no chance one of them will be on the bench.

If we go with 5:3 then I think there is a reasonable chance it will happen.

I certainly don't think there is a compelling reason to have both in the 23 though.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I kind of like the idea with the argument being that whilst they're both primarily 10s they both cover 10-12-15 & that their game-styles compliment each other. I agree if there is a 6:2 split then one will have to miss out (probably To'omua unfortunately) but a 5:3 could accommodate for both:

9. Genia
10. Cooper/To'omua
11. Badger/JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Lilo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau/Mogg
15. Folau/Mogg

Bench
White
Badger/JOC (James O'Connor)
Cooper/To'omua

anyone i'm missing?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd think that at least one of the "unfashionable" due of Dennis or MacCalman makes the 30 man squad, the other will be cut with Schatz. Who knows, if Link considers Fardy and MMM as locks only, then both Dennis and MacCalman may make the cut, with one in the starting XV (and the other likely left right out).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd think that at least one of the "unfashionable" due of Dennis or MacCalman makes the 30 man squad, the other will be cut with Schatz. Who knows, if Link considers Fardy and MMM as locks only, then both Dennis and MacCalman may make the cut, with one in the starting XV (and the other likely left right out).

If McKenzie picks Dennis to start in the first test, I wonder if someone will blame Deans for forcing his hand by picking Dennis so many times in 2012? :rolleyes:

If it happens, I'm betting there will be a comment similar to that on a front page article.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Link will put his own stamp on the team.

IMO changes to the run-on will be subtle with but guys still with experience

3, 4 or 5, 10,11 or 14 and 15

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I love Sio's work. I think it's very possible he'll unseat Fat Cat as the preferred LHP in the next 12-24 months. But I don't think it'll happen this season unless Robbo's form slides dramatically. Even if Sio is super effective off the bench, Link will want Robbo's experience for 50-60 minutes.

Personally, I think that would be the right approach. Sio has years and years ahead of him to potentially own the 1 jersey. Giving him the best chance to succeed by establishing himself in the test arena off the bench is the smart way to go.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He isn't up to it as a starting test 6, I see him as a bench cover lock who can play 6 or a starting lock if we are looking for mobility.

McCalman, Dennis, Schatz & McMeniman are more "backrowers" to me

If not Fardy in the absence of Kimlin, I'd have Jones in preference to any of McCalman, Dennis or Schatz at 6. Unfortunately, he's not in the squad.

Backup No 8 is now a real problem with Kimlin out.

Status
Not open for further replies.