• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
To'omua at 10 and Quade on the bench is actually a really low risk high reward option if you think about it. Assuming he goes a 5-3 split, he will be able to replace Matt if he isn't cutting it at test level. We know he won't lose us the game because he's just too solid but we don't know whether he will be able to split the attack apart.

If that does happen to be the case, you can put QC (Quade Cooper) who you know has probably the best chance of pulling off something amazing (whether it be bad or good haha) and chances are will want to prove himself after not getting the starting spot.

Either way, this is shaping up to be a good one. Pressure will be on the ALl Blacks to adapt to whoever we choose at 10. They really are at opposite ends of the spectrum in how they play the game and that could be trouble for any team. Tight simple distribution to a massive long passing game would test even the best of defenses.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To'omua's lower touch rate is also indicative of White's game plan at the Brumbies. I'd expect him to see more of the ball for the Wallabies, although I agree that we are likely to see a tighter game than if Quade were selected.

Yup, but I'm slightly doubting of To'omua's ability to play a real up-tempo style of game. Not that the lad isn't capable of it, it's just that he has little experience in it. Even in high school, To'omua (well, his BSHS team) played a similar style of kicking / field position game. A running, attacking style of game is not To'omua's natural game nor is it his current forte - although I think he potentially has the skills to support it.

My point is, if the up-tempo all out attacking game plan from time dot is what you want, then of the three flyhalves to choose from, To'omua would be the third choice.

This shouldn't be surprising, as it is very, very rare that one of the major nations will go into a (meaingful, e.g. dead rubbers in the World Cup aside) test and throw caution to the wind with an attacking mindset.

Where Dan Carter is special is that he can adapt to almost any game plan with his running, passing and kicking games. He may not be the best attacking running / passing 5/8 in the world (maybe not even in NZ), but he is, by far and away, the most well rounded.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I was a Quade man through and through until 5 minutes ago; To'omua has to be selected, for no reason more important than this - "To'omua is also part of the Brumbies’ resident ‘bikie gang’ – the ‘Postmancheros’. This is a group of players who are regularly seen navigating their way around Canberra on postie bikes." - aru website

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I need to say though, that I am BIG KEV EXCITED TOO!!! We could have lost the last 100 Bledisloe's but the week leading up to game one will always have me full of blind optimism and jumping out of my skin!!! I really like Links talk leading up to this one.

RD had in the past talked up the AB's like they were some kind of invincible force and how we weren't quite as good but we'll give it a go. Fuck that.

Link's been saying that it's just 15 blokes. The same blokes we've been beating all season.
Remove the freakin black aura around them.

No mystique, no fucking enigma.
Get out there and play good smart Rugby and beat them
See a black jersey, don't hesitate, don't be mesmerised, don't even respect it, fucking smack it.

Scoey,
You wouldn't just be a tad nervous yourself about the AB aura?:eek:

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Scoey,
You wouldn't just be a tad nervous yourself about the AB aura?:eek:

Probably a fair call Emu. As a spectator I probably have that luxury.
Having said that though, I happen to think that the AB's are looking decidedly normal for once and that we are looking good. I'm not actually that nervous for a change. I'm with JOC (James O'Connor) on this one. I'm buying into Link's mantra or whatever it is. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.