• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With each game Scott Sio gets closer to being the best loosehead in the country........

I think Scott Fardy should be a smokey for the squad.......

He's been immense for the Brumbies the past two years........

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
With each game Scott Sio gets closer to being the best loosehead in the country....

I think Scott Fardy should be a smokey for the squad...

He's been immense for the Brumbies the past two years....

Both Scott have been massive Scott Fardy is the best breakdown lock in Super Rugby he pilfers hits hard and has a massive engine.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Horwil
5. Fardy
6. MMM
7. Gill
8. Mowen

Sio
TPN
Alexander
Pyle/Simmons/Douglas
Hooper

Only weakness would be athletic ball running ala Higginbotham.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FWIW this is Rugbyheaven's team of the year based on their team of the week results........

Team of the season:
15. Jesse Mogg (Brumbies)
14. Henry Speight (Brumbies)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Waratahs)
12. Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Reds)
10. Matt To'omua (Brumbies)
9. Will Genia (Reds)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Rebels)
7. Liam Gill (Reds)
6. Ben Mowen (Brumbies)
5. Rob Simmons (Reds)
4. Hugh Pyle (Rebels)
3. James Slipper (Reds)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Benn Robinson (Waratahs)

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...or-brumbies-20130721-2qcqf.html#ixzz2ZglWhVCO

Starch

Bob McCowan (2)
Smh "team of the week" team looks good to me.
Cooper and To'omua running neck and neck for mine. Horwill will be the first picked lock in reality, although no-one should be immune from pressure, and his form could be better. When is higgenbottom back? Against the allblacks I agree MMM or Kimlin at 6 could help, and gill starting with hooper finishing

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Horwill is still hampered by the injury he picked up playing the lions tests.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There are a few big questions

Who plays lock with Horwill - I think it will depend on which spot he plays (THL or LHL)

10 is one that I don't know and that helps decide who plays outside the 10

15 is another, I like Mogg's potential but do we want a unit whose first choice is to kick?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
15 is another, I like Mogg's potential but do we want a unit whose first choice is to kick?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
I don't think his first choice is to kick. He does kick to the game plan and you do notice his kicks because they are largely effective. He doe lead the Brumbies run metres by quite a bit and if you compare the kicks in play with some of those accused of running rugby they are not that much different: only more effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
think Horwill should be under some pressure - don't think his performances as captain/leader and as a liock have been special and I think that captaincy role requires special. my understanding from my Tahs sources is that a few senior Tahs players are unhappy will his role -

Thought QC (Quade Cooper) was a certainty but Matt To'omua is making a serious run for the 10 spot. Will Link go with the bloke everyone expects him to pick or blindside opinion and pick Matt.

Surely there will be a change in the front row with Slipper and maybe Scott Sio getting his debut. Paddy Ryan would be a good choice as well.

JOC (James O'Connor) to the bench - Like Moggy as well but agree with fatprop

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
FWIW this is Rugbyheaven's team of the year based on their team of the week results....

Team of the season:
15. Jesse Mogg (Brumbies)
14. Henry Speight (Brumbies)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Waratahs)
12. Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Reds)
10. Matt To'omua (Brumbies)
9. Will Genia (Reds)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Rebels)
7. Liam Gill (Reds)
6. Ben Mowen (Brumbies)
5. Rob Simmons (Reds)
4. Hugh Pyle (Rebels)
3. James Slipper (Reds)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Benn Robinson (Waratahs)

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...or-brumbies-20130721-2qcqf.html#ixzz2ZglWhVCO

That's not a bad Wallaby team, though obviously a couple of blokes would be unavailable. To'omua could enhance his test prospects with a good performance against the Bulls this week and you never know, Link might pick him too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think his first choice is to kick. He does kick to the game plan and you do notice his kicks because they are largely effective. He doe lead the Brumbies run metres by quite a bit and if you compare the kicks in play with some of those accused of running rugby they are not that much different: only more effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess so, I just get a little frustrated watching him in wide open spaces, just get in a kicking duel that most of the time ends up at best with them "starting" play where he could run to in the first place.

Because if he kicks it out, the bad guys get the throw and clear; or he doesn't kick it out and the bad guys clear. Ether way the Brumbies next moment with the ball is where they could have run to.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Making their debut against NZ didn't seem to hurt Phil Kearns, Willie O, Andy McIntyre, Tim Gavin, Tony Daly or Pocock.

And I am sure if you went even further back into the past you could find more. Sio has been playing first class rugby for a handful of matches, in one of the two toughest positions on the field. The game is immeasurably tougher in the front row now than it was in the dim distant past.

Kearns was a reserve grader at the time. Maybe Link should be looking at the Shute Shield reserve grade props and hookers?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
And I am sure if you went even further back into the past you could find more. Sio has been playing first class rugby for a handful of matches, in one of the two toughest positions on the field. The game is immeasurably tougher in the front row now than it was in the dim distant past.

Kearns was a reserve grader at the time. Maybe Link should be looking at the Shute Shield reserve grade props and hookers?

If Sio is playing better or is a better prop than the other choices than why not start him? Against the ABs, the Boks, the French....whoever.

Why does it matter?!?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sio is a real chance to be Robinson's backup in the matchday 23 right now.

The combination of Sio's improvement, Kepu's (relatively) strong series against the Lions and Alexander's capitulation in the 3rd test makes the prospect of Robbo, Slipper, Sio and Kepu as the four matchday props quite strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.