• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I would suggest people like Harris, CFS and Betham. Are there to provide some numbers in training runs. Harris offers alot of different positions and CFS & Betham are probably just getting a taste of what being in a Wallaby camp is about. if any of those 3 make the squad i will eat my hat

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
what are the 'rules' governing eligibility'? I know (for example) to play for aust you need to play In aus, but what about oconnor who (at least yet) is not confirmed will be playing in aus next year, if you follow what I mean.

He is contracted to the ARU this year which is all that counts.

Other players in the squad such as Kimlin are confirmed as definitely not playing in Australia next year.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I imagine they'll both be cut when the squad reduces to 30.

If they were any chance to play, you'd figure someone like Drew Mitchell would have been included instead.

I'd see those two as development selections.

Harris is just meh.
Ive had two kiwi mates tell me already that Harris is the "kiwi plant" for Robbie Deans...they are laughing at his selection. O dear........
Horne has to have said/done something surely to be left out. Mind you he's probably one of the most level headed guys there so thats extremely doubtful. The ABs centres ribs are having a party at our expense....

something

Jim Clark (26)
If he was in the squad, I think Horne was a real chance of getting a bench spot to cover 12/13. In his absence, Ant is looking good for the bench.

Yeah you have a point, Horne would be a better bench option than Ant who doesn't offer much but really solid D. He could have Kurindrani on the bench & someone like JOC (James O'Connor) could cover 12?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So Beale is out for the season
Palu out for the first few tests

Reds’ winger Rod Davies, Western Force centre Kyle Godwin and Waratahs’ wingers Cam Crawford are also unavailable for selection due to injury.

and O'Conner is listed as a wing/fullback

T

Tip

Below are squad players listed by primary position, and also placed in order of preference (my opinion after gazing through Link's crystal ball)
Looseheads:
Benn Robinson (Waratahs)
Scott Sio (Brumbies)
Paddy Ryan (Waratahs)
Hookers:
Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs)
Saia Fainga’a (Reds)
Tighthead Props:
James Slipper (1,3)(Reds)
Ben Alexander (1,3) (Brumbies)
Sekope Kepu (Waratahs)
Locks:
James Horwill (Reds)
Rob Simmons (Reds)
Kane Douglas (Waratahs)
Hugh Pyle (Rebels)
Scott Fardy (Brumbies)
Blindside Flankers / Number 8’s:
Ben Mowen (Brumbies)
Peter Kimlin (4, 5 ,6, 8) (Brumbies)
Hugh McMeniman (Force) (4, 5)
Dave Dennis (Waratahs)
Ben McCalman (Force)
Jake Schatz (Reds),
Openside Flankers:
Liam Gill (Reds)
Michael Hooper (Waratahs)
Halfbacks:
Will Genia (Reds)
Nic White (Brumbies)
Nick Phipps (Rebels)
Flyhalfs: Quade Cooper (Reds)
Matt To'omua (Brumbies)
Bernard Foley (Waratahs) (10, 15)
Inside Centres: Christian Leali’ifano (Brumbies) (10, 12)
Anthony Fainga’a (12,13)(Reds)
Mike Harris (Reds) (10, 15 cover)
Outside Centre: Adam Ashley-Cooper (Waratahs)
Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies)
Wings: Israel Folau (15)(Waratahs)
James O’Connor (Rebels)(10, 12,15)
Nick Cummins(13) (Force)
Joe Tomane (Brumbies)
Peter Betham (Waratahs)
Chris Feauai-Sautia (11,13,14)(Reds)
Fullback: Jesse Mogg (Brumbies)

As you can see here ,there is really no need for a player like Horne, McKenzie must believe that with Leali’ifano,O’Connor, Fainga’a & Harris they have enough cover for the Inside centre. Regarding 13, Kurindrani & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are leagues in front of him. He is also a like for like pick with Fainga’a who also is a 12,13.
I’m not fussed over his omission, he would only be used as bench cover so it does make sense to use a player with versatility to cover other backline positions, , i.e. Harris

All in all a pretty well rounded squad, he's showing intent to blood the up and comers, Pyle, Fardy, Toomoa, Foley, Kurindrani, Bentham, Sautia & Shatz, all who look like future wallabies (reservations about Shatz's size & Sautia & Bentham still)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I would suggest people like Harris, CFS and Betham. Are there to provide some numbers in training runs. Harris offers alot of different positions and CFS & Betham are probably just getting a taste of what being in a Wallaby camp is about. if any of those 3 make the squad i will eat my hat

No risk irt Harris and Betham imo, but F'Sautia could be a dark horse for the final 30. Especially as Link is very familiar with his abilities and potential.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
No risk irt Harris and Betham imo, but F'Sautia could be a dark horse for the final 30. Especially as Link is very familiar with his abilities and potential.

I think their would have to be a lot of injuries. If we are short of wingers as well i would mind seeing Kuridrani on the wing as to keep AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) intact

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Horne was more deserving of selection after this season than any other.
Betham does not look at all like a test player so I have some difficulty fathoming his selection.
Harris can really only cover all the positions mentioned if you add in his goal kicking. Link must think that we need cover in that area: he may not be wrong!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
While I'm amazed at Harris' inclusion I'm not a fan of Rob Horne and don't think he has done enough to get included.

You obviously haven't watched him much this year, Sully, he's done everything asked of him, in a new position at that. AND, he's passed the pill a few times. Rob's been first choice 12 for the Tahs (apart from the first few games) while Harris can't crack the Reds 23 when all are fit for duty. If the Wallabies need to rely on Mike's kicking to win matches, God help us!

Just to show I'm not banging my Tahs' drum ATM: Betham can consider himself extremely lucky to make this squad. While his running's been exemplary his handling has been atrocious this year and his passing is poor. I had a funny feeling about mid-year what we saw with Peter's about as good as it's ever going to get. And I've been watching him play rugby for, about, nine years. Weren't our winger stocks over-flowing a moment ago?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
[quote="

As you can see here ,there is really no need for a player like Horne, McKenzie must believe that with Leali’ifano,O’Connor, Fainga’a & Harris they have enough cover for the Inside centre. Regarding 13, Kurindrani & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are leagues in front of him. He is also a like for like pick with Fainga’a who also is a 12,13.
[/quote]

I would agree if i thought either of fainga'a and harris weren't wastes of picks. horne is much better than both of them and can cover 12 and 13 better than both as well.
the inclusion of faainga and harris is pretty poor imo

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I saw bits of him last year in ITM Cup and most of his games this year.
Unfortunately for you I fully agree and had come to the same view a little while ago.

I'm going to go in the other direction on Betham.

I think his development from where he was prior to the ITM Cup last year has been superb.

His handling is atrocious and is the biggest issue in his game.

His ability to break tackles and bend the line is very impressive though. He is nowhere near a Wallaby 23 right now but I think he could be there in a year or so if he keeps improving.

T

Tip

Fainga'a got the nod because of his breakdown work. Link intends on playing an expansive game (sometimes.. remember horses for courses guys), and with A'fai you are literally guaranteed to keep the ball if winger is tackled in the wide channel. He plays like another 7 and always secures the ball in the tackle. He also has a low tackling technique, which (like his twin) works extremely well as players like Gill, Mowen, Hooper will all be able to jackal straight away.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Considering we lost the Lions series on the back of missed kicks the selection of Harris is hardly a mystery. I'm not saying the rest of his game is up to it, but it's a 40 man squad FFS. I wouldn't scratch the old noggin too much if I were you.

I'm also amused by a few of the comments this morning about players in the 40 man squad being no where near Test material or no where near a 23 man match day list. I'll give you a tip. Being in a 40 man squad is still no where near the match day 23 or a test team. Some very good players will be cut before the first game. Fair to say the 'not up to it' ones will also.

It's an exciting squad and a great start. Go you good things go!

T

Tip

He still has to trim 10 names from this squad. Nice exercise here:

Scott Fardy, Peter Betham, Mike Harris, Jake Schatz , Bernard Foley , Nick Phipps, Paddy Ryan , Ben McCalman, Chris Feauai-Sautia,Joe Tomane/Anthony Fainga'a (do we really need 6 wingers in the squad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom