• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Top 20 for giving away penalties on rugbystats.com does not see the name S Fainga'a anywhere. Most is Crockett with 30, then 3 players tied on 14. Names that do figure are Hooper @ 21, Alexander @ 18 and Mowen with a massive 22 in a tie for 6th. So you are happy not to have those 3 guys in the 23 as well?

And Crockett plays for whom?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Does anyone know what Kyle Godwin's injury is, and how long he will be out for?

Obviously he would have been picked if not for his injury.

Am assembling some stats on 12s for a piece on the front page. Weighing up Fainga'a, Horne, Lilo, Harris, Godwin, Taps and Sidey. Godwin is the clear standout across nearly every stat.

I really think he should have a shot at 12 going forward. Has the passing and kicking game of a 10, matched with a bucketload of physicality.

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
Aside from 1 club rugby game where Harris kicked 12 from 12, it would seem to be a long time since Harris has been in excellent kicking form.

He has played very little this year, but his kicking in 2012 was pretty much average (I found stats suggesting 77% in Super Rugby).

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Top 20 for giving away penalties on rugbystats.com does not see the name S Fainga'a anywhere. Most is Crockett with 30, then 3 players tied on 14. Names that do figure are Hooper @ 21, Alexander @ 18 and Mowen with a massive 22 in a tie for 6th. So you are happy not to have those 3 guys in the 23 as well?

The Brumbies were also very canny in giving away plenty of penalties outside of kicking range, but keeping it clean when in kicking range, so Alexander's and Mowen's stats here didn't necessarily lead to a lot of points conceded.

baz

Frank Nicholson (4)
since overcoming numerous injuries this season Harris has kicked 21 in a row and is 23 outa 24 in last 3 club games.....

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It was awful in attack,with or without him.
If he is to be selected for his defence, he will shut the backline down at the higher level.
in that event a defensive 10 should be selected beside him.
But we know that's not going to happen.

Really? The Reds have been significantly down on last year and most especially their play of 2011 and even 2010.

Like I said I wasn't much of a fan, preferring Horne for many years because I saw him as being more dynamic and better in attack whilst conceding little in defence.

What I saw this year when he was available for the Reds and what I saw when he was absent made me re-think my position. I haven't altered my view entirely, far from it, but I will have to argue the point saying he is just a backline play killer etc, as I used to think. That Link has selected him in front of Horne, assuming he is cover for both 12 and 13, seems to indicate to me that my altered view was not without support. The Stats article on 12s that Barbarian is preparing for the front page will make interesting reading I think, but it will also need to be considered in the light of minutes played, the style being played (ie. 12s at the Tahs and at the Force under Foley got and get the ball at lot more than other 12s simply because of the style played) and how good a pass the 10 has to bypass them in the attack.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Godwin is the clear standout across nearly every stat.

I really think he should have a shot at 12 going forward. Has the passing and kicking game of a 10, matched with a bucketload of physicality.

Maybe because he played 10 at Under 20s level. But it is his ability to break/bend the line and get the pass away to support when he plays 12 that has really impressed me. Hope he's back sooner rather than later.

nomis

Herbert Moran (7)
When you consider all the backs named in this extended squad and despite all the post 3rd lions test chatter, it's very hard to see JOC (James O'Connor) not making your best 23 or even XV.

JOC (James O'Connor) has always played really well on the wing I reckon. Would be in the top 3 in AUS for a wind spot.

T

TOCC

If JOC (James O'Connor) could pass better I'd suggest halfback may be a position he should try

He is a highly talented player who can read the play, but isn't creative enough to play 5/8 and physically insufficient to play centre..

It's not gonna happen, but i find the thought entertaining at least.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Just watched the press conference on ARU TV.

How bloody good is it to have a competent and well spoken coach advocating the game?? It's something very simple but gee does it make the whole set up sound more convincing. Long road ahead for Link but apart from Horne missing out, he's chosen a squad we can all pretty much agree on which is rare for the gagger forum!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Half the stuff he says is the same, yet sounds so damn strong, confident and intelligent. Great for advocating rugby to the public.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Mogg played himself back into contention tonight. Geez could Speight become available any sooner or what? Someone get that man a 14 jersey.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mogg played himself back into contention tonight. Geez could Speight become available any sooner or what? Someone get that man a 14 jersey.
He was very good but needs to work on his tackling technique a little. If he had gone low JJ would not have scored that try.
Mogg should be a walk up starter at 15. That boot is invaluable and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
Fardy was busy and didn't do his Wallabies chances any harm. Kimlin was also very good.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Deans get's smashed by all when he because of apparent personality conflict( see Coopers performance on the Rugby Club last year) he doesn't pick Cooper in Wallabies-Lions series. I just hope that Cooper hasn't already been picked. He needs to take a real good look at To'omua especially the benefits of his 10/12 combo. This will be increased if the Brumbies can complete the fairytale next week against the Chiefs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It wasn't just Deans who had problems with Cooper's attitude, so did some of the senior players, allegedly.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought Fardy and To'omua had good games, as did Speight, White and Sio.

Not sure on Mogg and Kimlin though. Both were solid without ever standing out IMO. Kimlin also had his one 'brain snap' moment where he tried to kick a waist-high pass. WTF was he thinking there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom