• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Game I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think PB meant you might be happier if the decisions could be referred to a ref in the stand.

Scrums: Baxter is still shit. Watch his bind moving, and watch his back arch.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watch Baxter snap Woodcock backwards inside the AB 22.
Watch Woodcock collapse out and down because he can't take the shove.
Watch Baxter get penalised.
Watch props around the world raise their eyebrows in confusion.

Seriously, there were a couple where Baxter got done for binding the arm (and so he should) but let's not pretend for a second it was all his fault.

Scorz said:
Watch his bind moving

I don't understand what you mean by this?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
the gambler said:
Im still waiting for an explanation as to what that cricket umpire comment meant. Maybe we can have a prize for whoever comes up with the best one given PB doesnt seem keen to explain it himself.
It was directed to the poster that dont even have bones about dirty Saffers and cheating SA refs even for the rest the 3 Nations series. So Skotman throw in the Test cricket one from nowhere. Maybe they should go and play hockey, there he have two umpires to get it wrong and can at least share his blame. Blaming the ref for making mistakes are one thing but to blame the ref for losing is just wrong, so no credit for the All Blacks play on saturday.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
NTA said:
Watch Baxter snap Woodcock backwards inside the AB 22.
Watch Woodcock collapse out and down because he can't take the shove.
Watch Baxter get penalised.
Watch props around the world raise their eyebrows in confusion.

Seriously, there were a couple where Baxter got done for binding the arm (and so he should) but let's not pretend for a second it was all his fault.

Scorz said:
Watch his bind moving
He moves his bind to Woodcocks arm.

I don't understand what you mean by this?
He moves his bind to Woodcocks arm. You already commented on this.

Apparently when Baxter got subbed the ref told the replacement "I hope you do better than the last guy" loud enough for the TV.
So either he just hates Baxter's guts, or he had a better view, or he interpreted it wrong. From where I was sitting Baxter's lock looked like he was arching up. That's usually an indicator.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
Watson was generally a good ref, but he obviously hated Gregan...

What was wrong with that, Pedallist? It's a shame more refs weren't tougher on GG, they would've been doing Australian rugby a big favour by getting rid of him sooner. And then we wouldn't've been in the halfback pickle we're in now.

PS. I always thought Watson was an excellent referee.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lindommer said:
cyclopath said:

What was wrong with that, Pedallist? It's a shame more refs weren't tougher on GG, they would've been doing Australian rugby a big favour by getting rid of him sooner. And then we wouldn't've been in the halfback pickle we're in now.

Come on Lindo, the succession planning was well on its way. Lets not forget the great Matt Henjak era.......

On the reffing, Laurence would have made quite a difference IMO. His officiating of the breakdown is different to his countryman. Laurence isn't so quick to blow the whistle at a breakdown. Joubert was almost Chris White like with penalising players not releasing the second a tackler had his hands on it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
cyclopath said:

Nothing wrong with a ref not liking a player - they're all people, some people don't like others, go figure. He should not have displayed it so obviously on the field in the way he dealt with him. It created an unnecessary air of him being biased against us, which I do not think was at all the case.
And really, who would have sprung from the morass in GG's place to have prevented us from being pickled?

S

Spook

Lindommer said:
cyclopath said:

GG is now being blamed for the fact that Burgess can't pass or kick? ::) One of the more stupid posts I've read. GG lasted so long because as shown by the efforts of those like Burgess and Anthems at international level, he was easily the best option. GG never played as badly as Burgess - never in his whole career.

Genia looks the real deal. Noone else has since GG.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scorz said:

Yeah I just didn't know why "moving" by itself would be a problem :)

Apparently when Baxter got subbed the ref told the replacement "I hope you do better than the last guy" loud enough for the TV.

Really? :lmao: Maybe Baxter should open with that line at the next scrum he packs :lmao:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spook said:
GG is now being blamed for the fact that Burgess can't pass or kick? ::) One of the more stupid posts I've read.

And where did I say that, Spook? Along with many other critical judges of rugby I thought Gregan stayed too long; he put his personal aggrandisement before the welfare of the team. His last few years for the Wallabies yielded painfully slow and predictable play allied with poor captaincy. If he had've been pensioned off earlier we would've been further along the road towards a suitable replacement at halfback.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
Scorz said:
You appear to correct yourself here, so which is it mate?

BTW, I'm not here for the boring old wind up, if you are just pussed orf and not seeing clearly fair enough mate. :)

Mate, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. My point is that from 1-15 the Wallabies had the skills, size, speed and strength to put the ABs away (fair enough if you disagree but I don't think I'm alone in that belief). What we lacked is the match winning mentality - we're clearly overawed in the big games and fall short, not because of any lack of ability, but because we can't keep our heads screwed on straight. Maybe that's a fine distinction, but I reckon that was the biggest difference between the teams on Saturday.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Bet you if the Wallabies had won there would be no word on the ref

PB

I have often been critical of the referee even when the team I support wins. I make sure I do so, because as you say it doesn't mean anything if I just do it when we lose. I have even sometimes been critical if my teams wins but didn't deserve to because of the ref.

This has been blown up a bit more due to the importance of this game, and due to you not considering that the referee may have and some impact in the result. Fact is that the ABs got a leg up in this game due to Jouberts apparent favouritism.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
PB - A number of posters have made mention of the ref, and with good reason as many decisions or non decisions were fundamentally incorrect. They are overstepping the mark when they bring in his nationality, but they are allowed to comment/criticise without being referred to as whiners. If our players were making the same comments then you would be right in saying they should shut up and get on with it, however as supporters we are allowed to comment on all facets of the game, win or lose.

gambler,

I don't recall anyone doing that in this thread. Although PB seems to be defending him on the basis of his nationality.

F

formeropenside

Look: in short we lost for the same reason we lost the 2007 RWC QF: no commitment to tight forward work. That might be a lack of ticker/desire to do that work, or a physical inability to do it, or both.

18 months on, and its the same old story.

Until Australia produces pig-dog forwards again, tests like that will happen whenever an opponent plays that style of game against us.

R

rugbywhisperer

On the subject of the referee - have we spoken about that yet?
I would love to see the assessors report on the game.
As an adjuct to that - why can't they (the IRB referees assessment team) release these reports and then we will all know just what/how they think of his performance. We all saw the errors, they will be in a report.
It's a shame really becauce this same ref botched an earlier game this year and these mistakes are beginners stuff.
That advantage over call was a disgrace - but without continued and sustained pressure on the authorities the referee asociations will just keep it all mumm and move on - they don't like criticism if you haven't noticed and any severe demotion of the ref will indicate poor performance which they are loath to admit to the outside world.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
NTA said:
Scorz said:

Yeah I just didn't know why "moving" by itself would be a problem :)

Really? :lmao: Maybe Baxter should open with that line at the next scrum he packs :lmao:

Nick

Baxter's arm was packing on Woodcock's armpit, not on his back as the rules require.

Now I know that most THPs, most weeks will do the same thing, but Baxter should be smart enough to adjust his bind from then on.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Personally I have no issue with the Palu free kick decision. You dont get a 2nd chance for being stupid. Every player knows the law and if you don't tap the ball correctly then you should be penalised.

With the ruck and who was going forward call on half way the kiwi players counter rucking were surely coming from the side and at the time I was really blowing up over the tackler not rolling away. For him to allow that but then penalise Moore was just a shocking case of inconsistency.

However any game is going to have the odd inconsistent call and that is why I still like the free kick laws despite every one elses opposition to them. Refs make mistakes, and for one like that to cost us 3 points in what the ref himself would probably admit was a 50-50 call just seems unfair to me. If only refs had the balls to call penalties when they were warranted, which they often were, during the ELV trial stage then we may have actually seen the sanctions implemented and the game improved as a result.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
my problem witht he palu decision is, the ref is on the opposite side of the ruck, he cant see for crap. the nearest linesman is half a field away, and palu partially blocks his view, there is no way he could tell if he released the ball or not, and should really be looking if the blacks are back 10, it wasnt his call to make.

the most that should have happened is palu being called back to the mark.

i disagree with baxters bind, his opposite was changing his bind much more, quite often he even balanced on the ground during the game. its fine to call baxter once, but baxter was dominating him, and he was folding, the all blacks got lucky!

but australia should have put the game out of reach by half time, so works both ways

R

rugbywhisperer

waratahjesus said:
my problem witht he palu decision is, the ref is on the opposite side of the ruck, he cant see for crap. the nearest linesman is half a field away, and palu partially blocks his view, there is no way he could tell if he released the ball or not, and should really be looking if the blacks are back 10, it wasnt his call to make.

the most that should have happened is palu being called back to the mark.

beginners stuff - the laws are clear - it was clear the ball didn't leave his hands - it was the ref's call to make after all he's the only one who can make the call but he probaly got the advice from the assistant ref - it's a scrum to the AB's -
As a ref I always in pre match briefs let a team know that I will police this kick - and I give one freebie - they know - and after age 13 I rule on it if it happens, no freebies. This is test rugby for goodness sake -
If he din't know the law he should have - go and read the book, they all should know the laws inside out by this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.