• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Game I

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great video gagger. You could turn the pictures off and listen to the kiwi commentary and reach te same conclusions. Of course kiwi commentators are reknown for being biased towards the wallabies .....

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Why are you waiting for my analysis?

My two cents: Good video, you certainly highlighted the points you wanted made very well. But without hearing an explanation from the ref, is anything I say going to make a difference to your mindset? As Fatprop says, and as I said previously to NTA, you can see the movement of Baxters arm after binding pretty clearly.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The bind isn't what's making Woodcock fold backwards and collapse. How low it is is arguable, especially in the second and third examples. (in the second example Woodcock actually keeps his bind - to Baxters armpit)

As for the Palu call - of course it was a dumb thing to do, and I would have had no problem with it being called back to the mark. But to choose 4 minutes from the end of a Bledisloe in that attacking position to make the first stand this year (or last 3) on this law sure says a lot about the judgment going on in Joubert's head.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Gagger said:
As for the Palu call - of course it was a dumb thing to do, and I would have had no problem with it being called back to the mark. But to choose 4 minutes from the end of a Bledisloe in that attacking position to make the first stand this year (or last 3) on this law sure says a lot about the judgment going on in Joubert's head.

The mark wasn't the issue, it was the execution. Disagree that this is the first occassion that such an interpretation has been made. The ABs did a dumb thing in one of the early tests by trying to do one of those really quick 22 restarts where the player just kicks it over the line and then regathers it. But the player didn't drop kick it, he just put it straight to toe essentially kicking a drop punt. Ref pulled them up, scrum on 22.

Gagger in all seriousness the timing of the penalty/TO shouldn't be an issue.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd say it was the first time because all the other players werent dumb meatheads and they knew the rules and played accordingly. I would have more issue if he called him back and gave him another chance.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree with the Palu decision. He deserved to get pinged - just stupid stuff.

I'm with Gagger on the binding issue - Woodcock is just as bad, and you will see this every 2nd scrum in most games. Fact is that Joubert decided that everytime something went wrong with a scrum it was Baxter's fault. This is clearly not correct.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Scotty said:
I agree with the Palu decision. He deserved to get pinged - just stupid stuff.

He deserved to be brought back and told to pull his head in. Not pinged for a scrum, that is really really pedantic. We are playing international rugby here, and whilst it is stupid, it does not warrant Australia losing its free kick.

I think it was one of those calls where if Joubert was having a good night I would have tolerated, but it just summed up his erratic performance perfectly. Oddly the 'going forward' call in the video was the one I got most frustrated about, that is clear as day and an absolute shocker. You only award turnover ball if it is really obvious the attacking side has been dominated, which was clearly not the case there.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
the gambler said:
personally I have no issue with the Palu free kick decision.

In the cold light of day neither do I. But, bloody hell, it hurt at the time.

As a referee it's one thing I tell young blokes who may play league as well as rugby before a game (shoulder charges is the other). And then I usually give them one freebie and call the kicker back to take it properly. It's poignant to note Palu played league with the Dragons before joining the Tahs.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep, he is an international player and should know better - no excuses for him. It was annoying at the time, but not incorrect.

However there are also no excuses for some of the (just as basic) errors that Joubert made throughout the game.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
I'm trying to think of the last game we got the rub of the green with referees against the All Blacks.

Brisbane last year; disaster. Honkers; even worse and now Eden Park. Call me paranoid but it seems like more than a coincidence.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think decisions went both ways in those matches, although from memory there were a few crucial ones in Brisbane, but I don't recall a more one side refereeing display than what happened at Eden Park. He gave them a dubious 6-9 points and stopped us attacking their line on a few other occasions. Normally we can say 'the referee made a few mistakes but we would have lost anyway', but I don't think so in this case - and that is what has been annoying me most.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Why dont the ref moaners just admit the All Blacks were the better team at the end of the game and get it over and done with. Pretty easy, really! :yay

F

formeropenside

PaarlBok said:
Why dont the ref moaners just admit the All Blacks were the better team at the end of the game and get it over and done with. Pretty easy, really! :yay

PB, you will note I have not complained about the ref in this or any other thread.

You can't say the better team won, however. All that can be said is that Australia lost due to a lack of commitment in the rucks and mauls, and a poorly chosen bench (flowing from a poorly chosen squad).

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Major Spliff Biggins said:
I'm trying to think of the last game we got the rub of the green with referees against the All Blacks.

Brisbane last year; disaster. Honkers; even worse and now Eden Park. Call me paranoid but it seems like more than a coincidence.
Yeah it's because Barnes was such an epic failure the IRB, who love us dearly, have conspired to pick on Australia.

Sweet Jesus on a bicycle... :lmao:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
PaarlBok said:

PB, you will note I have not complained about the ref in this or any other thread.

You can't say the better team won, however. All that can be said is that Australia lost due to a lack of commitment in the rucks and mauls, and a poorly chosen bench (flowing from a poorly chosen squad).
Makes no difference, FOS. Even those of us who have pointed out reffing errors, but have clearly stated the real reasons we lost are lumped as "Ref-moaners" I suspect. For mine it was a poor reffing perfomance from an accuracy point of view - nothing more. Bit like being a "Judiciary Moaner" I suspect.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scorz,

I seriously doubt you'd have the same view if the shoe was on the other foot. If the kiwi commentators disagree with several decisions, you can guarantee the refereeing was dodgy. Why can't you admit it?

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Scotty said:
Scorz,

I seriously doubt you'd have the same view if the shoe was on the other foot. If the kiwi commentators disagree with several decisions, you can guarantee the refereeing was dodgy. Why can't you admit it?
NZ has been on the end of dodgy refereeing decisions enough in the past to understand you feel ripped off. Ref's make mistakes. Some calls went against Aussie, some went against NZ.

But I don't think it was so significant as to change the result so much as some of you are claiming. If the ref had called the offsides and forward passes things would have been different to, after all.

If I were you, I'd be more interested in how a team with the stewardship of Mortlock, Smith, Giteau and to some extent Sharpe could have let a good lead go as they did. And how you ended up with a schoolkid covering 10-15. Poor leadership from veterans, poor management of the bench.

As I said on TSF, you guys are screaming about Baxter getting shafted - Do you blame woody for thinking "If this retard is going to carry on doing what he gets penalised for, I'm going to milk it for all it's worth!"

F

formeropenside

Scorz said:
Scotty said:
Scorz,

NZ has been on the end of dodgy refereeing decisions enough in the past to understand you feel ripped off. Ref's make mistakes. Some calls went against Aussie, some went against NZ.

But I don't think it was so significant as to change the result so much as some of you are claiming. If the ref had called the offsides and forward passes things would have been different to, after all.

If I were you, I'd be more interested in how a team with the stewardship of Mortlock, Smith, Giteau and to some extent Sharpe could have let a good lead go as they did. And how you ended up with a schoolkid covering 10-15. Poor leadership from veterans, poor management of the bench.

As I said on TSF, you guys are screaming about Baxter getting shafted - Do you blame woody for thinking "If this retard is going to carry on doing what he gets penalised for, I'm going to milk it for all it's worth!"

Yeah, the sole NZ try had a forward pass in the leadup, didn't it? So sure, no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.