• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
ANZ Stadium is not much better either

That stadium defines the problem, it screams the problem. Seriously, IMO its continued use for rugby Tests is a real danger to rugby in NSW. The ARU would in almost all cases be better to: charge just a bit more for mid to premium tkts to games at SFS (using SFS for all but genuine blockbuster Tests), BUT, offer good discounts if you bought a whole Test series say, then fill the SFS, generating really good atmosphere for fans and for the Walls to gain the fan love, and I would bet that in a few years: the Walls w-l ratio in NSW would improve somewhat, fans would come more often, generating higher long-term ticket revenues, more viewers would watch as the whole atmosphere would be better and fan loyalty would be better, and rugby in NSW would thus be better served. Then the ARU must lobby hard for the expansion of the SFS to say 55,000 to 60,000 capacity, and all this extra installed as tightly tiered over the field as possible.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
So so so so true.

I have a Waratahs and Reds membership, and out of all the games I've been to this year (18 games in 16 weeks including two trials) the game the Tahs played against the brumbies was the one game I least enjoyed.

Not just because of the way the game was
played, It was just a bad atmosphere compared to SFS, just the proximity the seating was to the game, the staff's foul attitude (a security threatened to call police because I wanted a photo with one of the players) and the locality to the CBD

I had a conversation with a couple of the boys a few weeks later about it and we all agreed on connecting with the fans, it's virtually non existant at ANZ stadium (and Suncorp
As well)

I heard the Tahs are gonna play the reds there in 2011. Please be not true.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I still vote for an experiment with the Cheetahs and Lions games (not trying to offend fans from the respective teams, but these seem like the games that will draw the lowest crowds but also will see tries being scored [moreso for the Cheetahs game])

Take it to the Central Coast or Western Sydney. Even Kogarah!

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
I still vote for an experiment with the Cheetahs and Lions games (not trying to offend fans from the respective teams, but these seem like the games that will draw the lowest crowds but also will see tries being scored [moreso for the Cheetahs game])

Take it to the Central Coast or Western Sydney. Even Kogarah!

Lol didn't the Tahs beat the Lions by more points this year? 73-12 wasn't it?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Re Etihad. _Any_ stadia that can comfortably hold cricket and AFL matches (such as Eithad) will usually generate poor to very poor rugby atmosphere and somewhat less likelihood that team love from the fans can add big rocket fuel to the Men of Gold.

One of the worst things about Etihad is they have the capability to bring the bottom level seats closer in and have only done it once for a Rugby test and a few times for soccer. The atmosphere was great there when the B&I Lions came out here in 2001, although that atmosphere was created by the seemingly majority of the crowd who were singing and chanting for the Lions. Funniest moment of the night was after the game, leaving the Stadium, I hear one English guy loudly complaining "At least we can build stadiums you can bloody get out of". Can be a bit slow across the concourse to the station or city after the game there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I heard the Tahs are gonna play the reds there in 2011. Please be not true.

I bet it is true which is a pity because as others have indicated: the playing area for Aussie Rules and cricket is so large that patrons are too far away. If you have a good seat it is not too bad. I usually go to the SOO once a year and am in the Platinum members area and the seats are great. If you think old Lee is flush with cash, they are my filthy rich brother in law's tickets and he usually doesn't bother to go.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
I got the Tahs blueblood membership, on the halfway right next
to the tunnel, front row - AT SFS.

ANZ - other side of the field about 8 rows from the front, I relyed off my 200mm lens on my camera to just see a couple of skinny legs. I forked out $350 for that?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PS Talking about the surface at Ethiad: ANZ Stadium has a similar problem - always slippery; had it for years; another reason why it's a dud ground for a Super 15 game.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
PS Talking about the surface at Ethiad: ANZ Stadium has a similar problem - always slippery; had it for years; another reason why it's a dud ground for a Super 15 game.

Yes Lee, you could see the turf really getting way too easily chopped up and loose in the last England Test there, and the place has been dry for days prior.

C

chief

I think Mebourne made a grave error in not making their latest stadium 55k which was said to be possible. It cannot happen anymore because of the roof and how much it would cost to remove it and add it back. Screw the roof, a great rugby test match could come their way each year as well as Football matches and some State of Origin. Ethiad just does not make the cut, location is fantastic though. If they want to be called the sporting capital of the world my view is they should have a great Football stadium to match it.

They paid 270 million for their new stadium, my thoughts are cut the fansy roof, and they could have saved millions. Skilled Park at Gold Coast cost 167 Million, with pretty much the same amount of seats and corporate facilities. This just screams stupidity.

D

Dr J

I think Mebourne made a grave error in not making their latest stadium 55k which was said to be possible. It cannot happen anymore because of the roof and how much it would cost to remove it and add it back. Screw the roof, a great rugby test match could come their way each year as well as Football matches and some State of Origin. Ethiad just does not make the cut, location is fantastic though. If they want to be called the sporting capital of the world my view is they should have a great Football stadium to match it.

They paid 270 million for their new stadium, my thoughts are cut the fansy roof, and they could have saved millions. Skilled Park at Gold Coast cost 167 Million, with pretty much the same amount of seats and corporate facilities. This just screams stupidity.

Unfortunately for us fans, the Victorian Govt had a binding agreement with the owners of Docklands Stadium (Etihad) which prevented them from constructing a stadium in Melbourne with a larger capacity than 30,000.

But yes, they could have saved a heap of money by delaying the fancy roof until the capacity increased to the 55,000 allowed for in the design.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I dunno. I think a state of the art rectangular stadium packed to capacity with 30,000 people is going to be a far more enjoyable experience for both the fans and players than an oval stadium with 55,000 people.

Reactions: DPK
D

Dr J

I don't disagree with you Reddy!. But us Melbournites will take whatever International Rugby we can get.:)

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh fair enough. 30,000 capacity is going to be ideal for Super 15 rugby for sure. You don't want half empty stadiums.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Quade Cooper suspended for two weeks

Wallabies flyhalf Quade Cooper has been suspended for two weeks after being cited for a dangerous tackle during the Tri Nations Test between Australia and South Africa at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane last night.

Cooper, who will miss Australia’s back to back Bledisloe Cup Tests against the All Blacks in Melbourne on Saturday night and in Christchurch the following week, had been cited over an incident in the 54th minute of the match won 30-13 by the Wallabies.

He appeared before SANZAR Judicial Officer Bruce Squire QC (Quade Cooper) of New Zealand in Brisbane today.

Mr Squire found Cooper guilty of a breach of Law 10.4 (j).

He compared the offence to that of Springbok wing Jean de Villiers in last week’s Tri Nations match against the All Blacks, for which the South African was suspended for two weeks.

“This is consistent application in terms of like penalties for like offences,” Mr Squire said.

Entry point for a low grade lifting tackle offence is three weeks.

Taking into account mitigating circumstances including Cooper’s good record, Mr Squire handed down a penalty of two weeks with the suspension ending on 8 August 2010.

Mr Squire will also hear today a dangerous tackle charge against Springboks centre Jaque Fourie who was also cited after last night’s Test in Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.