• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Saturday 21st October, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
On a serious note: People will say the handling was sloppy and that we were lucky it didn't cost us more BUT while we made 14 handling errors to the ABs tally of 7, we were trying far more on the field and THAT is what I like.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
People who were at the game - how wet was it?

It's really hard to tell through the camera lens, and based solely off the Wallabies execution the first half was torrential, but it was pretty dry in the second.

ArmchairGeneral

Ward Prentice (10)
People who were at the game - how wet was it?

It's really hard to tell through the camera lens, and based solely off the Wallabies execution the first half was torrential, but it was pretty dry in the second.
Fairly heavy to begin with in the first half but dropped off fairly quickly. Pitch seems to drain fairly well. I don't know why but last two seasons Australian teams are responding better to wet weather conditions.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
ArmchairGeneral, congratulations, your avatar has now come up in "full living colour" on my laptop!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I actually thought Rob Simmons did some bloody good work before getting injured, as mate pointed out at one stage, he had just hit 2 rucks in a row while Adam Coleman watched on!

Coleman, no doubt, was just intrigued to watch how someone hitting a ruck could be so ineffectual. Was one of those rucks early in the game when he tried to get Cane (I think) off his feet and didn't make any impression on him at all? Turnover to the ABs.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Coleman, no doubt, was just intrigued to watch how someone hitting a ruck could be so ineffectual. Was one of those rucks early in the game when he tried to get Cane (I think) off his feet and didn't make any impression on him at all? Turnover to the ABs.
I get you don’t rate Simmons, but the whole forward pack was shit at effectively cleaning out in the first half. Coleman missed a few himself. Despite the result, it was an are area the ABs were much better at than us.

Hooper is generally pretty good, but otherwise it is an area we have huge room for improvement.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fairly heavy to begin with in the first half but dropped off fairly quickly. Pitch seems to drain fairly well. I don't know why but last two seasons Australian teams are responding better to wet weather conditions.

have to say I not really a fan of Suncorp pitch, it seems to cut up a little. mind you it probably seems a bit worse than it is because generally all other fields that major games are played on generally are so bloody good these days.

T

TOCC

Great to see a win over the ABs with a solid 81 minute effort.
Was good to see Barnes calling at least SOME of the ABs illegal activities around Rucks.
How good to see the Off Sides getting called occasionally.

A small reality check is looking at the number of 1st selection ABs missing from the Bled 1 team:
Joe Moddy
Owen Franks
Brodie Retallick
Beauden Barrett
Ben Smith
Luke Romano

Dan Coles is only a shadow of the player that he was.
The ABs don't appear to have the depth in the Front Row and Lock that have caused us so many problems in the past. Current group just too slow in support and low work rate.
I don't rate Squire or S Barrett as 1st XV selections.

I don't get as excited as others about Tui.
He looks like a big man but plays like a small man.
11 carries for only 5m gain.
3 tackles in 38 minutes
Had very little impact at rucks. Gets there but plays statues rather than using his size to effect.

Coleman had 13 runs for 9meters and 6 tackles.

Stats are a good reference, but don’t paint the full picture.

Comments about impact at rucks is subjective and difficult.

What Tui did when he came on was provide a running option for Genia almost every time the wallabies had started making some momentum, sure he didn’t make any great line breaks but he kept the momentum going and stopped the All Blacks from completely resetting their defensive line.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Run metres are a junk statistic.

Take these two case studies from the weekend:

- Rob Simmons takes a hit-up off the back of a successful Wallaby wide raid. The All Black defence is back-pedalling and there are holes near the ruck. Simmons hits one of these and makes 5m, but I'd argue it was a fairly upright, weak carry and he should have made 10m (though he had a decent game overall).

- Tui gets the ball behind the gain line in about the 72nd minute, with limited support and two advancing AB defenders. He manages to hold his ground and stay up for a split second longer, so his support reaches him and we get relatively quick ball. He's made 0m but considering the potential outcome, it was a great effort.

So there's a 5m difference in run metres there, but I'd argue Tui's was a far better carry.

i think the eye test is far more valuable when assessing forward performance in attack, and to me Tui passed it with flying colours.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Haven't read anything since I last looked on this thread at about half time, and it's already probably been said, but that All Black second half was a bit shit.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Haven't read anything since I last looked on this thread at about half time, and it's already probably been said, but that All Black second half was a bit shit.
Yes, a lot of that was to do with the pressure they were copping though. Plus you lot are happy enough to gloat when we play shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just one question, has everyone else lost ability to put emojis, makes it easier to let everyone know when a bit of humour is going down

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Oh that actually worked.. I just did the colon dot close bracket. Can't insert them from a drop down list anymore though.

Status
Not open for further replies.