• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Saturday 21st October, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Beale's performance last night was his most balanced ever. Sublime on both sides of the ball.
He seems to have taken something from the jersey: perhaps we should keep it - its a bloody good jersey in any event.
Best Welcome to Country I have ever heard: none of the platitudes. marvellous. And I said that to others before we won so its not just rose coloured glasses.
Have a feeling the ABs decided they did not want the ball.
And we punished them for that decision. Very promising.
I think we stood up to their shit too, which they did not like. Its a fine line but we trod it pretty well and they lost some of their cool.
Beale did some good things but handling was hit and miss

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was clever television production to have the All Black haka dominated by the big screen full of serious Wallabies.
However, now it has been done World Rugby will legislate against it, just like they have protected the haka in the past. Allowing the full squad to participate, preventing opponents from advancing during it, banning the opponents lining up on half way (must be separated by 20 meters), refs berating teams who refuse to move away after the ABs have finished, and allowing throat-slitting gestures. All courtesy of WR (World Rugby).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Georgina Rob, on Offsiders this morning floated the idea of KB (Kurtley Beale) stepping out of the Wobs lineup after the Haka and give a Cooee to be answered by the crowd. a liitle cringy but i like the sentiment and might just work to fire up the crowd.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What a win lads.

That AB defence was farking brutal, the hit on Foley simply the icing on a granite cake.

At points, the tackling was brutal. When they hit, it stuck a lot of the time.

BUT they fell off 28 tackles so could hardly call it a great effort on defense. Once we put more than 2 phases together the ABs were in all sorts of bother.

More generally: when our little blokes let the forwards do the work on the close channels, they were taking multiple defenders to deck - particularly Dempsey and Tui - and the ABs looked very slow to realign at points.

Guys like Whitelock were barely noticeable last night. The loss of Retallick distributed an extra bit of pressure on the forward pack to contribute. Cane got maybe one turnover? The rest of the time he was getting smashed at ruck time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

BUT they fell off 28 tackles so could hardly call it a great effort on defense. Once we put more than 2 phases together the ABs were in all sorts of bother.

More generally: when our little blokes let the forwards do the work on the close channels, they were taking multiple defenders to deck - particularly Dempsey and Tui - and the ABs looked very slow to realign at points.

Guys like Whitelock were barely noticeable last night. The loss of Retallick distributed an extra bit of pressure on the forward pack to contribute. Cane got maybe one turnover? The rest of the time he was getting smashed at ruck time.

watching whitelock in the warmup he looked crocked. I can see why the reds decided to keep tui and make Simmons someone else's problem

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Tui's a monster, the ABs were committing three men sometimes to stop him. At one point Cane tried to rush up and take him one on one but Tui just dropped a big shoulder into him and left him lying back down on the ground arms and legs waving around like an overturned cockroach in its death throes. Awesome to see that sort of power on display in the Wallabies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great to see a win over the ABs with a solid 81 minute effort.
Was good to see Barnes calling at least SOME of the ABs illegal activities around Rucks.
How good to see the Off Sides getting called occasionally.

A small reality check is looking at the number of 1st selection ABs missing from the Bled 1 team:
Joe Moddy
Owen Franks
Brodie Retallick
Beauden Barrett
Ben Smith
Luke Romano

Dan Coles is only a shadow of the player that he was.
The ABs don't appear to have the depth in the Front Row and Lock that have caused us so many problems in the past. Current group just too slow in support and low work rate.
I don't rate Squire or S Barrett as 1st XV selections.

I don't get as excited as others about Tui.
He looks like a big man but plays like a small man.
11 carries for only 5m gain.
3 tackles in 38 minutes
Had very little impact at rucks. Gets there but plays statues rather than using his size to effect.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hmmm - interesting observation re Tui FF (Folau Fainga'a). Must admit that wasn’t my impression. That’s not to say you were wrong - but that even though Tui’s metre count was not huge he was often dragging in 2-3 defenders and still at least going forward in contact. But it is a low metre count.

My criticism of him previously was that I thought he was a bit inconsistent with his level of effort, but last night I thought his effort was excellent.

Time will tell I guess.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I actually thought Rob Simmons did some bloody good work before getting injured, as mate pointed out at one stage, he had just hit 2 rucks in a row while Adam Coleman watched on!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A small reality check is looking at the number of 1st selection ABs missing from the Bled 1 team:
Owen Franks
Luke Romano

Both these guys are liabilities to an All Blacks team. Franks is worth a stupid penalty or two a game, and has not been the same scrummager since the hit was removed from the contest.

Romano is very close to the description you provided of Tui* and isn't a patch on either Whitelock or Retallick, or even Tuipolotou (whose name I can't spell).

Barrett was probably the bigger loss on attack as Sopoaga had concrete boots most of the night (running or kicking).

But you don't play individuals, you play the ABs as a team. Without the combinations in their second row and 9-10 axis, they were vulnerable BUT they knew this in the week leading up, and didn't adequately address it in their systems and preparation.

We wanted it more, pure and simple.

* Which, BTW, is decently flawed. While he did not make a bucketload of metres over the advantage line, he put dents in the defense to take pressure off others. He put his body on the line to take an important restart with minutes on the clock. He's not there to clean out every ruck, he's there to hurt people.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I actually thought Rob Simmons did some bloody good work before getting injured, as mate pointed out at one stage, he had just hit 2 rucks in a row while Adam Coleman watched on!

Blotted his copybook with an ineffective cleanout that led to a penalty and THEN 10 metres when he decided to whine.

I hope he's physically OK but sorts out his accuracy before next Super season at the 2014 Champions ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good to see three of the seven dwarves absolutely tear ass in the backrow tonight. It shouldn't work at all and yet the improve with every game. Having said that Cane was destroying us in the earlier parts of the game at the breakdown. The northerners are going to target us hard there.

Dempsey must be chuffed. MotM in his, 4th test? in a win against the Darkness.
And now he has to do it again, and again. He has set his standard now

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: TSR

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Georgina Rob, on Offsiders this morning floated the idea of KB (Kurtley Beale) stepping out of the Wobs lineup after the Haka and give a Cooee to be answered by the crowd. a liitle cringy but i like the sentiment and might just work to fire up the crowd.

Georgina was on fire this morning on ABC 'Offsiders', when she suggested KB (Kurtley Beale) could stand in the middle and lead the "coeeeee", then she added he should look at the ABs and say: "come and get us you ............ she stopped there, laughed, and said: "getting back to the normal Sunday morning format"!! She is such a passionate Rugby fan, that girl.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ruck Involvements by the ABs.

Cane: 32 Total - 21 Attack/11 Defence - 81 mins (27 Tackles/4 Missed)
Whitelock: 25T - 23A/2D - 81 mins (15 Tackles/1 Missed)
S. Barrett: 21T - 16A/5D - 61 mins
Read: 21T - 10A/11D - 81 mins (11 tackles/3 Missed)
Squire: 17T - 15A/2D - 75 mins (15 Tackles/2 Missed)
Crockett: 16T - 14A/2D - 44 mins
Laulala: 14T - 12A/2D - 51 mins
Hames: 11T - 10A/1D - 37 mins
Taylor: 9T - 6A/3D - 20 mins
Tuipolotu: 8T - 8A/0D - 20 mins
Coles: 8T - 7A/1D - 61 mins
Tu'ungafasi: 6T - 5A/1D - 30 mins
A Savea: 2T - 1A/1D - 6 mins

BEST BACKS:
SBW: 14T - 4A/10D - 81 mins
Naholo: 9T - 3A/6D - 81 mins

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night

Flickr
or
Facebook

37832120741_261ccecacc_c_d.jpg

23990104158_7b7f8c9e6c_c_d.jpg

23990153778_7392033a77_c_d.jpg

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yes it was a win, but I don't think we should be that happy about it.

Handling was sloppy, kicking was poor, and we committed some horrible penalties.

Seriously guys, if we played like that against the All Blacks they'd beat us by 60.

Oh wait....... shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.