• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks @ Suncorp - 18/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fuck it'd be nice to expect we'd bring home games like this, rather than biting chunks out of my beer bottle, waiting for disaster to happen.

A good selection of shithouse options in the last 5.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Heartbreaking loss. Should of had it. Well played everyone.

When will we learn you do not turn down the opportunity for points in a goddamn test match. This is so simple and catches us out all the time. Struggling to think of a time it has worked under Links reign. Next person to make that call should be sacked.

The box kick was dumb but don't think it cost the game. The forwards were getting pummelled and going backwards whixh was a shit effort, they needed to up the intensity when we had it and not just on defence. Other than that they were very good.

Folau is getting very predictable. Run towards sideline, take up the space, try and straighten. I want to see him running some different lines. Maybe Cooper will help this, thinking of the try vs the Welsh last year as an example of him ploughing onto a short ball and just going straight.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Wallabies gave everything today, they were shattered. Really proud of the way they played. Problem is you just get a little loose and NZ punish you in seconds.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes he is, I suspect White gets the job starting from 2015 and we'll see an interim coach(es) for the EOYT.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
A close good game, but I think the AB's were fitter than the Wallabies. They could maintain the intensity. Fitness should be one of the first basics.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Very very gut wrenching evening. Well done to both teams for the spectacle.

Just when we looked like we had it in the bag we departed from hitting the ball at pace and using the field width which had served us so well for 76 minutes & went into our shell. In those last couple of minutes before the AB's line out win for the first time all game we started to get bullied at the ruck & followed up with the dreaded box kick.

Saw enough tonight to know that despite all of the off field debacles that we have the talent, spirit and leadership to move forward with optimism to the EOYT & the RWC.

Now just need to address the 'simple' issue of finding a suitable head coach who can continue to develop the attacking structures that Ewen has encouraged.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
well i dont think link deserved it and it was a shitty situation.

however, i still would have liked him to see it out.

next man in needs to bring the alex ferguson coaching manual with him i think

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Fox Sports stats were not all that good for the NZL team and it must be a long time since they fell off so many tackles, or made as many handling errors.

That was a great Australian ambush, and an even better counter-ambush recovery from NZL. Everything was in AUS favour, but the NZ team still had the confidence and composure to take advantage of a couple of AUS errors to land their killer blows in the 69th and 81st minute.

As posted earlier, when we ran with the ball in hand we looked good. When we kicked, we didn't.
When we ran with the ball, NZ were under pressure. When we kicked the ball, NZ put us under pressure. There has to be a lesson there somewhere.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
As posted earlier, when we ran with the ball in hand we looked good. When we kicked, we didn't.
When we ran with the ball, NZ were under pressure. When we kicked the ball, NZ put us under pressure. There has to be a lesson there somewhere.

To be fair HJ, OZ were getting shunt backwards when they had ball in hand in those last 3-4 minutes. Some of our bench players (the Blues duo of Mealamu, Tuipoluto and Charlie) were hitting the defensive line hard and with some force. The OZ attacking line seemed quite disorganised also. They were out on their feet. The passage of play when Barrett hoofed it down field off the ground was very telling with many Wallabies struggling to get back on side to be in the play.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Absolutely fucking gutting. How the hell does NZ do it. They're defo the best on the planet as they can score when they want seemingly.

I seen them do it to Ireland and now they've done it to my second team, theyre a disgusting team the AB's.

Bloody hell Nic White's in for a bit of crap now. Why didn't he just pass it back for a booming clearance kick or just snipe and run into the AB defence?? Only had a minute to run down, surely its obvious after going what 70 metres in the 79th minute to beat Ireland last year that the AB's are bloody lethal when they need a last minute score. Would've been great to have beaten the AB's twice in succession, now that would've had an effect on their psyche for sure. And playing England in HQ after it could well of been three on the trot.
How bout his scrambled to get the ball back after Hooper dropped it. How bout someone get back so he could pass it. It was a crap kick but what option did he have.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just some positives though................

I was really impressed with Kepu tonight, and he's really come a long way as a TH.

Fainga'a will definitely be one of our 3 hookers who goes to the RWC.

Carter was probably our best lock.

Fardy's form is back.

Folau seemed even busier than usual. Always in a position to get his hands on the ball.

Would've liked to have seen Slipper actually get the ball a bit less in the back line though.

Kuridrani - Mortlockesque in both attack and defence. He always seems to make the right decision in defence.

Lilo had a quality first game back. Going to keep To'omua on the bench for now.

Phipps was playing well, but I understand why Link dragged him off first as he was starting to piss Joubert off.

I think we were lucky with a few line outs tonight. There were at least a couple definitely not straight, with one of them being batted down by Simmons' outside arm.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It was a bad kick.
We lost for a few reasons at the end there, well stated above - defence ragged, getting smashed backwards with ball in hand and so on.
But it was a bad kick.
I think we needed to pick and drive a few more phases then maybe go down town if we got a better position from which to do it. The fact we weren't set to do that was not White's fault. But I don't like the default to box-kick that I think we see too much (and particularly see executed so badly too often).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was there a crowd figure?

Even though there appeared to be plenty of empty seats, those that were there seemed to make plenty of noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.