• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks @ Suncorp - 18/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Mate hardest working lock in oz. I've still believe the ankles given him.trouble as his slowed in games.. After the two week breaks his put in great shifts.. Not that he'd admit it. He'd just pick and drive

On-field, Sam is the image of his Dad, Dave, who whether playing for Quirindi, Central North, (Captaining) NSW Country, or with the Wallabies, played himself 'into the ground'! Sam moves like Dave, and hits like Dave, but IMHO, he still doesn't yet posses the level of "mongrel" that his Father had!

I try not to show bias on G&GR, and limit my posts on Sam, but some members often say how inferior Sam is to either Rob Simmons or James Horwill. Sam has 7 caps, Simmons 45, and 'Big Kev' 55. I think that puts the lock situation into perspective, don't you?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There is an old proverb that says there are three sides to any story: yours, mine, and the truth. Everyone's version of events will be coloured by their perception.

The truth could have been available if Beale had been man enough to step up and admit his mistake to the senior management group as soon as he realised the offence he'd caused.
Pfitzy you updating your Co heard theirs a coaching job on offer plus team manager and probably bench cover. You'd save cash and get a free jersey a week.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
On-field, Sam is the image of his Dad, Dave, who whether playing for Quirindi, Central North, (Captaining) NSW Country, or with the Wallabies, played himself 'into the ground'! Sam moves like Dave, and hits like Dave, but IMHO, he still doesn't yet posses the level of "mongrel" that his Father had!

I try not to show bias on G&GR, and limit my posts on Sam, but some members often say how inferior Sam is to either Rob Simmons or James Horwill. Sam has 7 caps, Simmons 45, and 'Big Kev' 55. I think that puts the lock situation into perspective, don't you?
And I think that's the point they need to give him games.

He was bumping off guys left and right last night.

I truly think Link wanted 3 experienced locks, Just Simmions and Horwill weren't enough.

And Sam's 7 tests his had 3 - 4 good'uns

And like a good boy changed his shirt without issue

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Mr Doug, thanks for your post, put some perspective on things for me.

I haven't re-watched the game, but with some sleep to put some space between the finish, and the aftermath, my view of the game was as follows.

Firstly, I have to acknowedge the ABs were off their game until they were a man down. But some of that, maybe a lot of it, has to go to the entrepreneurial way we played.

At the risk of stirring the pot, we profited ;)

Phipps, Foley, and Lilo were a huge part of that, and they were able to after an awesome effort by our forwards. I felt Fainga'a and Kepu were particularly strong, but every man jack of them were manning up left right and centre.

TK was huge. Huge. If he continues to play like that he will be our Centre for a very long time. This is a big deal for us and what an auspicious time for it to happen.

I also want to acknowledge Phipps. He has often copped heavy criticism in the past, has never let it get him down, and continues to maintain his high level of fitness and involvements, while improving his technical skills. I was surprised to see how fatigued he was when he came off - I guess Ewen's plan had called for him to run his heart out for 55. If so, it worked.

On the last 20 mins, we were guilty - again - of releasing pressure when it must be applied like a blow torch. Do not, do not, do not, kick away possession in their 22 when you are a man up! The only exception being an easy chip to a winger in clear space. In our 22 in the dying mins we just had to hold the ball. End of and I will say no more.

Overall it was a great game of rugby, not for any particular skill on our part, but for the effort and enterprise, particularly by our forwards. Very proud of their efforts last night. And that is something we can build on. We can get better at choosing our moments, focusing our energy to ensure we have a reserve in the last ten, off the back of that performance.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to hear Fekitoa after game saying when they were behind McCaw just kept telling them to do their core rolls, and perhaps it a good lesson, don't play "catch up" rugby, just play rugby. Son and I were just saying watching replay it is pretty impressive how calm ABs looked at end of game, even though they were behind!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
My smattering of thoughts on the game.

Positives:
Israel Folau has still got it. Teams know he's a danger man, but every time he ran the ball he would easily get over the advantage line.

I only gave TK 1 point, which in hindsight should've been more. I guess I am used to him busting tackles and generally playing like a man possessed.

Higgers was surprisingly industrious, thought he put in a very solid performance.

FTS was great, really seizing this opportunity by the balls.

Pretty adorable seeing Mantaray get a decent run, who would've thought.

We won the 1st half and were leading the best team in the world for 80 minutes, that deserves something.

Hodgson did what Hodgson does.

To be honest I could praise nearly all the team, Fardy played very well, Hooper pilfered and got over the gain line, CL decided he'll only play well for the Wallabies and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) scored in his hundredth.

Negatives:
Thought the bench props were pretty poor, did I see Alexander drop a pass that was on for a try in an almost identical scenario to a few weeks ago? Utter coach killer.

Nic White.

Joubers put in a good performance so I can't blame him.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I have waited a while to post my thoughts on the game (I couldn't last night as it would have been a very rather long expletive laden post). We had that game won with 90 seconds remaining if we held onto the ball. Why did Nick White kick at all for one and box kick to compound the problem? For mine Alexander was disappointing - both for the dropped ball when a try was on and for his pathetic body height in the final 2 minutes when the Wallabies only had to retain possession to win. I won't post more and sorry to sound like I am picking on 2 players (Brumbies at that) but those were the guys that stood out as the difference between winning and losing this test and drawing the series with the All Blacks.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Rugby 101 - you don't give the ball to the opposition when you have 90 seconds left on the clock and leading by less than a converted try. Pick and drive until the hooter and then put the ball into the stands.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The point is,we got the ball back after rule 101 was broken.
We couldn't maintain possession.
The box kick is irrelevant.
It's not irrelevant, but it is not the whole issue.
In hindsight, keep the ball, grind it up, if we give away a penalty 40-50m out are we worse off?
But yeah, what happened after the box kick wasn't great either.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Given what has happened in the build up, and the vast number of posters claiming that the Wobs would get done by 30+ points, as disappointing as it was to get done by one point, that was a magnificent performance by the Men in Gold.

Off the field - looks like there is something to be sorted out somewhere, but they put it together last night when nearly all had completely written them off.

Are there any reports of NZ infiltrators getting cheap tickets in the Gold Brigade section like what happened in Sydney?

How was the Gold Brigade Experience?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Big day out. Pre-pre-loading in our room then walk to Caxton St about 3ish. First place we tried was jam-packed & their garden bar booked for a private function so straight to The Caxton - beer tents in the car park, very good.

Met a lovely Scots couple who assured me Scots rugby is farked until their Border Rievers are brought back or replaced; a random Welsh guy who wanted to moan about Haden - reminded him what the penalty was really for so he had a moan about Hore - suggested that, yeah, 15 on 14 they might've won so he got the drift & off he fucked; chatted with a coupla 60-something guys from "out the back of Toowoomba", great blokes & offered to take some photos of our group with various iPads, phones etc.

Atmosphere at ground was fantastic & possibly helped by it not being packed to the proverbial. Plenty of friendly banter esp from 3 young guys behind us & more so when we went to 14. My "it ain't over yet" was more in hope than expectation & still can't quite believe we got away with it. Turned to the 3 guys at full time & they looked shattered. Didn't have the heart to give them any shit.

Back to The Caxton, heaps of obviously disappointed Wobs fans but gotta say not one was abusive or otherwise OTT: "you guys were fuckin' lucky" was about as bad as it got & a "yeah, bro, we were FUCKIN' lucky to win that" was all he wanted to hear then it was beers are on! time.

Back to our room around 12 & jumped on GAGR to check out the reaction & fuck me there's a "McKenzie resigns" thread. WTF? I'm almost disappointed the Wobs didn't win" would've loved Link to do the presser as a winner then wrap it up with a "BTW, guys & girl, I'm fuckin outa here. Fuck you all." Not that he would've, I reckon he's way too classy for that but who could blame him?

Status
Not open for further replies.