• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks @ Suncorp - 18/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do I need to point out the glider pilot in the room?

image.jpg

"Rebuilding the RNZAF's air combat wing one pilfered RAAF Hornet at a time".

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Its a bit unfair to single out Crockett - I think all your props are cheating fucks. :)

ABs are better everywhere except the front row, which is fairly even, and maybe the halves, depending on which Phipps turns up.

But their bench is going to deadset murder us in the last 15, no matter how close we are.

ABs by 30.

Unfortunately, Smith and Barrett >>>>> Phipps and Foley. Will be pleasantly surprised if the Wallabies get within 30 of the ABs on Saturday. After all the turmoil, so long as they play like they want to be there, and to put in for all of their team-mates, I'll be somewhat satisfied.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Attitude is what I'll be primarily looking for on the weekend. Are these blokes willing to play hard for their coach and each other? How they do that (or not) on Saturday night will say a lot about how this team is travelling and a measure of the leadership at the Wallabies. I'd rather them die together (metaphorically) than fall as individuals.

K

KAOPointman

Can't wait for this game. In my opinion we have a good mix of skill v mongrel in the wallabies pack this week, so if we get at least equal to go forward ball....our backs......starting with the VERY energetic Phipps can do the job. Fainga slow cutting tackles really slow forward momentum and is HUGELY underrated. Higgers and slipper will also LOVE the home ground advantage and that's exactly where the mongrel is coming from. I would not be surprised one bit if the wallabies put on a great display this week........ESPESCIALLY if cooper gets on early enough to run amuck :)

Get up em boys

bobdog

Frank Nicholson (4)
Bled 2 at Eden Park to be eclipsed by an even bigger steamroll me thinks. The collapse will start about 25 minutes and and accelerate with greater pace towards the end. Hate to say this but...downed signposts..deep potholes...and washed out bridges is the road the entire organization is now travelling.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I am quite surprised that the bookies are only giving us 7.5 start..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Unfortunately, Smith and Barrett >>>>> Phipps and Foley.

Maybe... I do think Smith is probably the form HB in the world atm. Smith and Barrett haven't won a Super title though, nor have they spent as much time playing along side each other. Not sure there is much between them, its more the pack that I'm worried about. As TWAS said we need big games from Simo, Carter, Fardy, Higgers if we are to compete.

Defining game for Lilo too. If he's good he might sneak on the plane to England next year, if he's poor or average I doubt he'll make the WC squad

T

Train Without a Station

That's like all the dickhead kiwis (Kiwis that are dickheads, not saying all are - our kiwi brethren on this forum are great) getting all up in arms about Alan Jones' comments that man for man we are equal. It was a fair slight on the Wallaby set up and performances of players as Wallabies.

All those morons were saying "as good as Smith and Barrett - yeah right", etc. But the point is, in Super Rugby they have shown to be just as good players. Smith and Barratt have certainly performed better on the international stage and that's where we need to improve, with our players fulfilling their potential as Wallabies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
That would certainly be ideal. The sideline conversion after the siren to give you a three point victory.

I'd even be happy to step up and take that kick. ;)

Braveheart81, may I suggest that if you choose to volunteer for this task, you arrange for two mates to "Laser" you, so in the (unlikely) event of you missing the conversion, you have grounds for the Ref to award you a second attempt in front of the posts! You could then claim "legend" status!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was more going from the angle that if the conversion from the sideline is to achieve a three point win, the result of the kick isn't very important.

For the record, with a bit of practice I could probably get to 50% from directly in front.

It could take me years of practice to hit one from the sideline!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
TWAS you've hit the nail on the head. The fact is that a lot of the player in our national team are argued to be "inferior" to their All Blacks opposites because truth be told at test level they often are. The most admirable quality of the All Blacks (and a reason that I love to watch them play and support them when they are playing other countries) is there ability to lift when they put on the jersey. Most of them seems to grow a leg when playing for the country.

That is a trait that Australia seems to have lost over the years, and in fact the opposite is generally true for us. We've performed very well at Super Rugby level in recent years despite our relevant lack of depth. The Reds won in 2011, The Brumbies almost won in 2013 and the Tahs won in 2014. The talent is there but if we are to ever match up to the All Blacks we need to breed the same culture they do - players coming together to create a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Fixing the much maligned culture of our national team is the first step. I hope that recent events have brought about a wave of change in this regard.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We have some good players, but nothing like the depth that the game does in NZ.

That is the biggest hurdle. Their 3rd XV could give our best team a decent run for its money.

T

Train Without a Station

The problem is due to vested interests there's too much direction from bottom up instead of a streamlined top down approach.

Look at how much power the Shute Shield clubs hold.

Then look at the uproar when the ARU pulled Izzy out of a Waratahs match. People are saying Cheika is pissed off because Link didn't value Douglas enough to keep him.

Do you think people would piss and moan nearly as much if Hanson told the Crusaders to pull Carter as he needs him fit. Nobody bemoaned Richie's break from Super Rugby under agreement from the NZRU.

Very hard to fix the culture when everything you do to maximize the Wallabies results is met with road blocks.

People often bemoan the ARU's management and will see the NZRU's is better. But when doing the same thing won't get criticized, you are always going to look better in comparison.

T

Train Without a Station

We have some good players, but nothing like the depth that the game does in NZ.

That is the biggest hurdle. Their 3rd XV could give our best team a decent run for its money.

That's a load of shit. It's closer to our 3rd XV facing their 1st XV right now.

Take out New Zealand's first 2 number 8's, first 4 hookers, their 2nd choice props, one of their top 2 7's, their top 10, their top 9, their top 12, and a couple of wingers and let me know how they're going.

New Zealand rugby has excellent depth in a couple of key positions such as 10, where we also lack depth.

At the same time we have 4 international quality 7s in Australia at least. We also have great depth at hooker.

The All Blacks play to their potential much better than the Wallabies do though.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
TWAS you've hit the nail on the head. The fact is that a lot of the player in our national team are argued to be "inferior" to their All Blacks opposites because truth be told at test level they often are. The most admirable quality of the All Blacks (and a reason that I love to watch them play and support them when they are playing other countries) is there ability to lift when they put on the jersey. Most of them seems to grow a leg when playing for the country.

That is a trait that Australia seems to have lost over the years, and in fact the opposite is generally true for us. We've performed very well at Super Rugby level in recent years despite our relevant lack of depth. The Reds won in 2011, The Brumbies almost won in 2013 and the Tahs won in 2014. The talent is there but if we are to ever match up to the All Blacks we need to breed the same culture they do - players coming together to create a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Fixing the much maligned culture of our national team is the first step. I hope that recent events have brought about a wave of change in this regard.

QLD state of origin team is an organisation which operates a bit like the allblacks. You get the call up and you play the QLD way.

Similarly, for the AB's, you bring your skills, fitness, killer attitude from your provincial team but you don't bring your gameplan and team structure, you are given the AB's blueprint and you adjust your style to suit the various roles you are given.

The Wallabies say they are working hard to build this type of team structure. At best we could call it a work in progress. At this stage we could not say that the team is performing better than the sum of its parts

Reactions: BDA
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom