• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina @ CommBank Stadium 7.45pm Sat 15/07

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Looking good Defending at 10 is a very different Kettle of Fish from Looking good defending at 12.
Of course - but purely in regard to his capabilities as a defender, he is typically very solid in both the tackle and general positioning/reading

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Much happier with this team, no real bizarre Eddie selections this time. Look forward to seeing what this locking combo can do. Shame Kellaway not back.

Hodge would give more versality at #23 and I think he will end up there for world cup but very happy we get to see more of Carter

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
At the risk of re-igniting an argument that has surely taken place (but i have missed), am I the only one that after seeing Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)'s performance in the EOYT, could never conceive of a situation in which Vunivulu was selected over him, absent Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) subsequently failing repeatedly in tests? I've no strong view on Jones either way but when i saw that prior to the SA test, I did wonder if he'd been watching the same rugby I was..

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
At the risk of re-igniting an argument that has surely taken place (but i have missed), am I the only one that after seeing Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)'s performance in the EOYT, could never conceive of a situation in which Vunivulu was selected over him, absent Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) subsequently failing repeatedly in tests? I've no strong view on Jones either way but when i saw that prior to the SA test, I did wonder if he'd been watching the same rugby I was..
Quite a few people were wondering the same thing when last week's team was released - you're not alone.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
At the risk of re-igniting an argument that has surely taken place (but i have missed), am I the only one that after seeing Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)'s performance in the EOYT, could never conceive of a situation in which Vunivulu was selected over him, absent Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) subsequently failing repeatedly in tests? I've no strong view on Jones either way but when i saw that prior to the SA test, I did wonder if he'd been watching the same rugby I was..

I can't see his thought process on that one either. Maybe it was to throw Vunivalu a bone and see if he could step up? Basically a challenge. Challenge not accepted apparently.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think it's a case of trying to find out whether certain players should figure in the RWC calculations. I don't think it was a case of thinking Vunivalu was higher up the pecking order than Nawaqanitawase.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I think it's a case of trying to find out whether certain players should figure in the RWC calculations. I don't think it was a case of thinking Vunivalu was higher up the pecking order than Nawaqanitawase.
That does make some sense, though you'd think as a new coach coming back with a certain degree of hype around you, you might select your (true) 1st XV for your first test back, against SA in SA.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I am coming around to the conspiracy that he knew a first up win in Pretoria was unlikely so he threw some scapegoats in there in Hodge, Vunivalu and Tom Hooper (Gibbon and Nonggorr too perhaps but that was more about availability). He gave himself someone to blame after the inevitable loss, show his team he was serious about dropping people (gave him a target for his yelling) and protected his preferred team (clearly this one) from a first up loss.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am coming around to the conspiracy that he knew a first up win in Pretoria was unlikely so he threw some scapegoats in there in Hodge, Vunivalu and Tom Hooper (Gibbon and Nonggorr too perhaps but that was more about availability). He gave himself someone to blame after the inevitable loss, show his team he was serious about dropping people (gave him a target for his yelling) and protected his preferred team (clearly this one) from a first up loss.

I'm not sure it's really a conspiracy. I think he would have certainly known a win was very unlikely given it's literally never happened at Pretoria before.

I do think that some players were picked who were clearly not in his best 23 but he wanted to see how they fared.

The number of people tipping a Wallabies win in the thread last week was somewhat insane.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Not exactly as I would have done, but I like this a lot better than the side selected against SA. I think Frost is dead unlucky and Uelese lucky, but most of the other selections are pretty easy to justify. Personally I would have gone with Faessler off the bench, and a 5/3 bench if you want to play Gordon (who I would have started with). As some have said, if Kerevi breaks down we have a problem. I would probably be inclined to shift Quade to 12 in that case, he would be of assistance to Gordon and has played there before at test level once or twice I think.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Bell is so underdone, I wonder if there wasn't the idea of using the Aus A games to get him more match fitness rather than straight back to test rugby
Is there actually any logic that the Australia A game is going to be less of a risk to a player than the Argentina game? If Topou or Bell are at risk of re-injury then surely any game is potentially going to hold equal risk. Heck, Samu re-injured himself somewhat having a run around in that BaBa's game. I'm not convinced that the Tongan's are going to be playing at magnitudes lower intensity than Argentina when playing at home in front of their families and country people.

Feels like a illusory truth effect fallacy to me.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Like your optimism Reg. But Slipper looks to be jaded from too much rugby to me and could be an early injury away from injecting Bell into the game with SFA game time under his belt. Persisting with Porecki who has little presence in open play could backfire if injury prone Uelese has to be used early. Then with an untried second row with plenty of questions about their workloads and effectiveness, and a No7 who will be an improvement but still with questions about the suitability of a smaller player in the backrow, the whole pack could prove to be no more effective than last week.

Depending on the game plan, the backline might see as little ball as last week too. If we are continually defending out wide, I can see Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) having the same problems as Vunivalu had last week, though his positioning should be levels above Vunivalu's. But he is not a strong tackler.

To come out on top in this game, Eddie will need to lose his kick at all costs plan, and every player will need to be performing at a level so far missing from the team last week. I have severe doubts those conditions will be met. I think another loss is well and truly on the cards.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Like your optimism Reg. But Slipper looks to be jaded from too much rugby to me and could be an early injury away from injecting Bell into the game with SFA game time under his belt. Persisting with Porecki who has little presence in open play could backfire if injury prone Uelese has to be used early. Then with an untried second row with plenty of questions about their workloads and effectiveness, and a No7 who will be an improvement but still with questions about the suitability of a smaller player in the backrow, the whole pack could prove to be no more effective than last week.

Depending on the game plan, the backline might see as little ball as last week too. If we are continually defending out wide, I can see Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) having the same problems as Vunivalu had last week, though his positioning should be levels above Vunivalu's. But he is not a strong tackler.

To come out on top in this game, Eddie will need to lose his kick at all costs plan, and every player will need to be performing at a level so far missing from the team last week. I have severe doubts those conditions will be met. I think another loss is well and truly on the cards.
Not enough Brumbies in there? Close to the most morbid preview I have ever read.

Last edited: