• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina @ CommBank Stadium 7.45pm Sat 15/07

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, that seemed to be the strong indication from articles yesterday…

And I’d say Slipper is a definite starter, particularly with Hooper out.
Like Taniela starting in the A game, when Bell is ready I think he starts (for the assurance in case Slipper gets injured early).

edit: Also bit of a wild guess but is it possible Eddie selected Slipper/Hooper as captains (as in no one new) because he wanted to see who else showed leadership qualities in the first game and give them the captaincy when Slipper/Hooper aren't in the team.

Last edited:

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
If leota is good to go they need to start getting him game time. Hopefully he is on the bench this weekend.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Some Pumas players went to Homebush stadium to watched the greatest game of all. Including former Pumas captain Pablo Matera, Santiago Carreras, Sebastian Cancelliere, and other members of the squad

They were shocked by the atmosphere, the passion and the athleticism of League players

"Thankfully were are not gonna face these mutants" said one of the visitors. Michael Cheika is a HUGE League supporter and he strongly recommended the players to go to the spectacle

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Given respective positions on the World Rugby Rankings, Australia was well and truly expected to lose last weekend. It was the biggest Rankings points differential since that first Rennie test v NZL, which we achieved an unexpected draw.

This week is different. Rankings are very close with Argentina, but the home side bonus means we are expected to win. I think the result this week, is more significant than last week. In no way were we expected to win last week. This week is different.
This is the thing, we can’t expect a new coach to suddenly catapult us to number 1 in the world. What we need to do first and foremost is arrest the slide in the rankings and start climbing back up them and improve the abysmal win/loss ratio we have had over the last few years. We need to beat every team that is below us on the rankings every time, and start picking off a few scalps of the teams above us. Whilst we can dream and the players need to aspire to do it, getting the Wallabies first ever win in Pretoria was not a realistic first hurdle. Beating Argentina at home by 15+ is a realistic challenge and a good way to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The problem is that if Jones sent every player who was next cab off the rank to Tonga then gets an injury he has to turn to the third or forth choice. I know it would be good to get some match fitness for these guys before throwing them straight into a test but that isn’t always a workable option.

The interesting thing will be wherever someone in the A’s can leap frog someone who is sitting out by virtue of playing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But Leota is almost in the same boat as Tupou right? Has he played this year at all? Tonga seems a better option for a comeback game.

I can only imagine he's not ready? I guess we will find out in a few hours.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really don't know why people are dismissing the Tupou wants to go to Tonga aspect. More at play than just playing. Wasn't there an article recently how his family are still there and he hadn't seen them in ages?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
This is the thing, we can’t expect a new coach to suddenly catapult us to number 1 in the world. What we need to do first and foremost is arrest the slide in the rankings and start climbing back up them and improve the abysmal win/loss ratio we have had over the last few years. We need to beat every team that is below us on the rankings every time, and start picking off a few scalps of the teams above us. Whilst we can dream and the players need to aspire to do it, getting the Wallabies first ever win in Pretoria was not a realistic first hurdle. Beating Argentina at home by 15+ is a realistic challenge and a good way to get the ball rolling in the right direction.
People also underestimate how hard it is to win away in international rugby (and South Africa especially). We won most of the games over 2022/22 because they were in Australia.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
edit: Also bit of a wild guess but is it possible Eddie selected Slipper/Hooper as captains (as in no one new) because he wanted to see who else showed leadership qualities in the first game and give them the captaincy when Slipper/Hooper aren't in the team.

You’d imagine there is a leadership group of 4-5 players including the captains. I’d like to think the coach doesn’t willingly pick captains who he doesn’t reckon will be seeing out the campaign but who knows really.