• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina @ CommBank Stadium 7.45pm Sat 15/07

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A bit of an Arnold fluff piece on the Roar, but it mentions at the end he'll be starting on Saturday...

Edit: and a second fluff piece on rugby.com.au... that would pretty much be a confirmation:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Although he was largely anonymous on Sunday (lineout excepted), so was the rest of the pack and I think he has to start this weekend so Eddie can get a proper look at him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Another problem with Australian rugby is our infatuation with hookers that must play like a second openside. They have two primary jobs - throw the ball in straight & win their scrums. Everything after that is a bonus. We can't be picking hookers, and props for that matter, based on their ability around the park. How many times recently have we seen a hooker miss a vital lineout?

There we go, something we can agree on.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another problem with Australian rugby is our infatuation with hookers that must play like a second openside. They have two primary jobs - throw the ball in straight & win their scrums. Everything after that is a bonus. We can't be picking hookers, and props for that matter, based on their ability around the park. How many times recently have we seen a hooker miss a vital lineout?
No one is picking our hookers like this.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
You really think Porecki is being selected for his dominance at the ruck? Ya joking.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bloody amazing that Jordan can't nail his throws. With due respect it's not that difficult, I reckon it must be a nerves/mental game time thing. I assume he can probably throw fine at training then shits it when the game starts which is why he keeps getting picked. It's such a trainable skill too, just go away and do it 500 times after training, don't need to become Usain Bolt quick or Skelton big, just throw the fucking ball straight.
His throwing was never great but is worse now so it’s definitely mental.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A hooker needs to do more than throw and scrummage.

The problem, as BH states, is whether anyone is better and there isn’t a lot of evidence there definitely is. Throwing in particular is a real problem across our hookers.

Certainly there is none that Uelese is. Apart from his three crocked throws the scrum also went noticeably worse when Uelese entered the game - which is pretty disappointing given that is one of his strengths (supposedly).

However, Porecki has also been given plenty of opportunity and has never been anything but adequate. I thought Faessler was noticeably better than him at Super level. He may turn out to be no better at test level but I’d personally at least like to see him get a crack.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
pick the bloke whose going to have the most impact across all 3, but you shouldn't just let selected because your really good at darts

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well I just feel bad now.

I went on tour with him a couple times as a teenager and his eyesight seemed fine but this is 10+ years ago.
I thought he was decent in the tight and both throws were borderline. Having said that I wouldn’t mind seeing Faessler getting a run.
The Argies will present a different set of obstacles.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I appreciate the Year 12 physics lesson. Maybe you could get in contact with ROG and the La Rochelle coaching team - it seems they must've missed the memo on Skelton's lack of 'weight' in the scrum. I wonder if Mark McCall at Sarries would concur with your hypothesis? I find it astounding that some many Aussie punters write off the bloke that's won 4 x Champion's Cup, 2 x Premiership titles and a Super Rugby title.
I don't think he's getting written off for his club rugby success. I think it's the lack of impact he has had in the 20-odd Tests he's played to date. For a guy who gets such huge wraps in Europe, he seems pretty anonymous for the Wallabies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't think he's getting written off for his club rugby success. I think it's the lack of impact he has had in the 20-odd Tests he's played to date. For a guy who gets such huge wraps in Europe, he seems pretty anonymous for the Wallabies.
From what I have seen of him playing in Europe, they style the game-plan with him somewhat differently to the way he has been played in Tests for Aus. I observed in the Leinster / La Rochelle final that it was "slower" to the frenetic way Super Rugby gets played at times and I wondered if the pace would suit him. I'm not sure they really know how best to use him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought he was decent in the tight and both throws were borderline.

1689074124306.gif

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
From what I have seen of him playing in Europe, they style the game-plan with him somewhat differently to the way he has been played in Tests for Aus. I observed in the Leinster / La Rochelle final that it was "slower" to the frenetic way Super Rugby gets played at times and I wondered if the pace would suit him. I'm not sure they really know how best to use him.
This. 100%.

I can't imagine he only puts in 75% effort when playing for the Wobs vs for his club. He is clearly not being utilised to his potential, and if the coaching staff want to stick with big Willy they might need to change the game plan so that he can be most effective.
The other option is find someone that is going to work for the game plan.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Skelton didn’t cause any turnovers against the SA lineout maul, but my recollection is the SA started making a lot more metres in their driving maul when he left the field. I’m struggling to find reliable stats for the weekend but Rugbypass notes he was equal to tackler at half time.

It was a pretty rubbish game from everyone, including Skelton, but to my eye he was one of our better players.

That’s not really saying much though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I know tight forwards can't only be about the set piece, but if they can't execute those efficiently they'd better be Richie fucking McCaw around the park.

Bottom line, each player in a rugby side has a core job they need to do and if a hooker can't throw the ball into a line out well I want to try other blokes who can.

I feel the same way about Skelton. I've always had lingering doubts about him at test level, but for the moment I'd like to see him persisted with for the TRC at least. If he doesn't make an impact there he's unlikely to ever do it and he's not in my match day 23.

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)
I know tight forwards can't only be about the set piece, but if they can't execute those efficiently they'd better be Richie fucking McCaw around the park.

Bottom line, each player in a rugby side has a core job they need to do and if a hooker can't throw the ball into a line out well I want to try other blokes who can.

I feel the same way about Skelton. I've always had lingering doubts about him at test level, but for the moment I'd like to see him persisted with for the TRC at least. If he doesn't make an impact there he's unlikely to ever do it and he's not in my match day 23.
Agree completely. Hookers must be able to throw and scrum, props must be able to scrum. …and then they also contribute to the rucks, mauls and defensive efforts. That’s is the job. If they can run like centres or 8s in addition, that is a bonus but should never be an excuse for significant deficiencies in the primary job. If you can’t do the main job, you shouldn’t be selected.