• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
This bullshit about "game breaker" ignores completely what Foley has achieved since his Test debut LAST FUCKING YEAR.

Remind me again what Foley has achieved in Wallaby colours at 10?

For me, Foley's had one really good performance, and that was against Argentina on the Gold Coast.

Apart from that, there were poor to average performances against France, poor to average performances against NZ and SA in the TRC, and an average performance against Argentina in Argentina. His second best performance was against the All Blacks in the third Bledisloe.

Foley's had an inbound Test series, TRC and third Bledisloe to cement the 5/8 position, and he hasn't even come close to cementing it.

Foley will get most of the EOYT starting, but unless Foley improves I think that if Cooper shows any form then Foley will get replaced. The big advantage Foley has over Cooper right now is that Foley is the incumbent, Cooper is only a few games back from injury and that Cheika is the coach, but I am not sure how long that will hold if we lose a couple and Foley continues to struggle.

Foley has the skills to be a good Test 10 (apart from kicking from hand maybe), but he has shown a lack of vision at key points for whatever reasons. You can get away with blowing important overlaps (which Foley has done a bit too much by either taking the ball into contact or putting in an attacking kick) if you create a lot of opportunities, but Foley has been struggling to create the same opportunities he did in Super rugby.

And don't forget memories are still relatively fresh from Cooper's third Bledisloe and EOYT from last year. The couple of EOYT 2013 games for Cooper was enough to net him a lot more points in the JEM than Foley's 3 French Tests and 6 TRC games + third Bledisloe.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Its actually a 9 10 12 13 combo that went so well on the end of season tour last year.

I have a bit of a theory that Cooper 10 To'omua 12 is much more balanced then Foley 10 and To'omua 12. Where I think Foley 10 Lealifanio 12 seemed to be much better.

Guess it gives you a creative player with a bit of a rock next to them, in both instances.

Guess it's about combinations.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheika knows what he likes, and he likes a hard-nosed fluffybunny. He's probably trying to talk Hodgson into playing for the Tahs ;)

Better than Ben Fucking Alexander in one of the drills - he was running at shoulder height which is asking ANY northern hemisphere forward pack to strip or maul. FFS!

Fuck yeah! Not enough people have been crowing about Quade's return in my book.

Been ages since he single-handedly won RWC2011, the five consecutive Bledisloes of course, the tour with Phantom of the Opera and I'm not about to forget winning Laureus Sportsman AND Sportswoman of the Year! That was after his Nobel Prize for Physics but before he'll undoubtedly cure Ebola and Cancer with the same synthetic compound derived from his own ball sweat.

For fuck's fucking sake some of you lot carry on.

Now he'll carve up against the Baabaas and you'll go all fucking Santa Claus over it, claiming that he was the answer all along.

This bullshit about "game breaker" ignores completely what Foley has achieved since his Test debut LAST FUCKING YEAR.

here's an exclusive.
a hot, hot, hot exclusive.

QCoop will be unavailable for Saturday's and any other future rugby.
tonight it will be announced that a meeting of the great powers of the globe unanimously agreed that QCoop will be drafted in as Secretary General of the UN, effective OOB Friday, NY time.
QCoop's mandate will be unlimited.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cooper not the Messiah but he does have a skill set that Foley is yet to match. Ignore the razzle dazzle and look at how he structures the play. He has a very astute and quick thinking footy brain.

I also rate Foley. He is brave in how he keeps a flat line, he has bloody good skills also.

Between Foley and Cooper we are well served. Gonew are the days when we had chicken shit 10's that retreat into the pocket when the going gets tough.

err, yes?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Settle down mate. Cooper has made MOTM performances against the best team in the world. People go-on about him because at his best he is probably the best fly-half in the world.

What has Foley achieved? A few solid performances and few nothing performances.

People are backing Coopers potential, which is far greater then Foley's, and Coopers last Test performances he was actually hitting his potential.

Cooper for Prime Minister!!! ;)

Fucking hell! Short memory much? You're not even a QLDer!

How quickly you've forgotten the hoppy-skippy Benchy Marshall shit Quade used to try on before getting smashed. The hospital passes he served up. The tackles he's tried to effect a strip rather than putting a shoulder on. The passes gone to deck or to opposition players when he's tried something that just isn't on.

You want to talk about NOTHING performances? Foley may not have set the world on fire at Test level (yet), but he's got as many Super titles as Quade and he hasn't ever looked like a scared rabbit. When Foley missed a tackle, at least he was in danger of making it.

Before you retort, let me say this:

I'm really enjoying the improvement in Quade post-Deans. He's looked at himself and fixed the things that needed fixing. Mainly off the field, which I think has helped him on the field quite a bit. Like Roman Generals receiving their triumphus, he has a voice whispering in his ear:

Remember, thou art mortal.

Just a month ago he and his entire Brisbane team were utterly murdered by the Rams - and a nobody kid from Penrith Rugby utterly outfoxed Quade on defence to score a try. He still put in some classy touches and used the NRC to get his confidence back.

He's probably our best flyhalf, but we don't know where he is because he's not played this year, when the game has moved on since last year.

Potential is bullshit until you realise it, but if we're going to talk about potential, then I think we're all happy that Cheika is there instead of some fuckwit like Jake White.

Cheika will help bring out the best in all the players in the squad and then work out ways to make them even better.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Its actually a 9 10 12 13 combo that went so well on the end of season tour last year.

I have a bit of a theory that Cooper 10 To'omua 12 is much more balanced then Foley 10 and To'omua 12. Where I think Foley 10 Lealifanio 12 seemed to be much better.

Guess it gives you a creative player with a bit of a rock next to them, in both instances.

Guess it's about combinations.

Yes the Foley/To'omua combo lacks spark, creativity and is well pretty one-dimensional.

Foley/Lilo - worked great last time

Cooper/To'omua - worked great last time

Cooper/Lilo - given how dominate Lilo was in defence last game, Just as good as To'omua IMO, this could be even better then the To'omua/Cooper combo. I'd be interested in seeing how it goes.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Fucking hell! Short memory much? You're not even a QLDer!

How quickly you've forgotten the hoppy-skippy Benchy Marshall shit Quade used to try on before getting smashed. The hospital passes he served up. The tackles he's tried to effect a strip rather than putting a shoulder on. The passes gone to deck or to opposition players when he's tried something that just isn't on.

You want to talk about NOTHING performances? Foley may not have set the world on fire at Test level (yet), but he's got as many Super titles as Quade and he hasn't ever looked like a scared rabbit. When Foley missed a tackle, at least he was in danger of making it.

Before you retort, let me say this:

I'm really enjoying the improvement in Quade post-Deans. He's looked at himself and fixed the things that needed fixing. Mainly off the field, which I think has helped him on the field quite a bit. Like Roman Generals receiving their triumphus, he has a voice whispering in his ear:

Remember, thou art mortal.

Just a month ago he and his entire Brisbane team were utterly murdered by the Rams - and a nobody kid from Penrith Rugby utterly outfoxed Quade on defence to score a try. He still put in some classy touches and used the NRC to get his confidence back.

He's probably our best flyhalf, but we don't know where he is because he's not played this year, when the game has moved on since last year.

Potential is bullshit until you realise it, but if we're going to talk about potential, then I think we're all happy that Cheika is there instead of some fuckwit like Jake White.

Cheika will help bring out the best in all the players in the squad and then work out ways to make them even better.

Like I mentioned before, he did realise it against THE ALL BLACKS! IN THEIR HOME TURF!

I don't think I have seen a performance like that by any Fly-half in the world in the last 3 years? Cruden, Carter, Sexton, Steyn? They haven't played that well in the last 3 years have they?

Then he backed it up with a successful EOYT.

Yes I forgot about his brain farts, his poor passes to no-one, because he had a season or two where he limited his errors.

You mention how he has grown post-Deans. This is why I rate him so highly, he continues to grow - his defence was superb last season.

I will acknowledge your comments on the NRC - great points, and a worry about his defence. To be fair he is returning from injury, so I hope he steps up in the wallaby camp and finds the Bledisloe 3 Test form again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Like I mentioned before, he did realise it against THE ALL BLACKS! IN THEIR HOME TURF!

I don't think I have seen a performance like that by any Fly-half in the world in the last 3 years? Cruden, Carter, Sexton, Steyn? They haven't played that well in the last 3 years have they?

Then he backed it up with a successful EOYT.

That game must have been the greatest loss there ever was then.

He was the Wallabies best player in that Dunedin test last year but the Wallabies still lost. After the early part of the match we were never closer than a converted try behind.

P

Paradox

My main concern with Foley is primarily his kicking game (defense needs work as well). He doesn't seem to get much distance and with Folau not a kicker at 15, it means we have maybe one player at 12 who does all the kicking...which is easy for the opposition to target and put pressure on.

P

Paradox

Oh fark yes:

28897.jpg

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Disappointing and surprising to not see Godwin, Jones or Faulkner in the team given this is the only real game where we are likely to see much experimentation / blooding. I guess that means they'll just be tourists unless there are some injuries.

Understandable regarding Godwin given Lilo's last performance and wanting to retest the Cooper / To'omua combo, but disappointing nonetheless. I really think Godwin will be the wobs long term 12, but looks like that may have to wait until after the RWC.

I think Jones looks a better prospect than Carter and Skelton at this stage, and is the sort of hard working, abrasive forward we really need in our pack.

And Faulkner should be there to give Slipper or Kepu a well earned rest, as well as giving an alternative to Ben "The Hinge" Alexander.

But all in all a good looking side for this clash. Will be great to have some proper leadership on the field, and a well balanced back row as well!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be surprised if Cheika doesn't give everyone a crack on the tour.

I think this game is being used as a bit of a trial for some positions for next weekend's game against Wales.

France and Ireland should see the other players get a crack off the bench in my opinion.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think definitely this will be a warmup for next week, with the addition of giving experienced players some time on field. Guys like Quade and Genia need to get out there to push their claims, but disrupting the whole team a week out from a Test match, with a new coach, isn't on.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Cooper not the Messiah but he does have a skill set that Foley is yet to match. Ignore the razzle dazzle and look at how he structures the play. He has a very astute and quick thinking footy brain.

I also rate Foley. He is brave in how he keeps a flat line, he has bloody good skills also.

Between Foley and Cooper we are well served. Gonew are the days when we had chicken shit 10's that retreat into the pocket when the going gets tough.

We can also add Lealiifano/To'omua to that list, though both are obviously 3/4.

I really, really want Lealiifano to start playing at 10 again. Fuck he was good.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Decent team. Certainly could have been a lot worse. Disappointed for Jones, but what a year for Sean McMahon. Signed on an EPS contract to the lowly Rebels he then went and achieved this:

Australian U20 Captain, Australian U20 Player of the Year, Rebels Rookie of the Year, Australian Super Rugby Rookie of the Year, Commonwealth Sevens bronze medal, NRC Player of the Tournament, Wallabies.

What a fucking champion. Can't wait to see how he goes.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Disappointing and surprising to not see Godwin, Jones or Faulkner in the team given this is the only real game where we are likely to see much experimentation / blooding. I guess that means they'll just be tourists unless there are some injuries.

Understandable regarding Godwin given Lilo's last performance and wanting to retest the Cooper / To'omua combo, but disappointing nonetheless. I really think Godwin will be the wobs long term 12, but looks like that may have to wait until after the RWC.

I think Jones looks a better prospect than Carter and Skelton at this stage, and is the sort of hard working, abrasive forward we really need in our pack.

And Faulkner should be there to give Slipper or Kepu a well earned rest, as well as giving an alternative to Ben "The Hinge" Alexander.

But all in all a good looking side for this clash. Will be great to have some proper leadership on the field, and a well balanced back row as well!

Mate, we need to establish a clear first 15 first.

Then play them without any change (bar injury) for a couple of years, and turn that particular 15 into a team, that has been through battle together and played in tight games that they've lost and then learned from, and learned how to close out the last 10 mins of a game (which is where every test bar Auckland has been lost this year), establish a winning mentality and the HABIT of winning.

THEN we can start experimenting and blooding players to provide some more depth and succession planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.